If you had to choose between a full Strymon or full Eventide setup?

sksmith66

Actually, Strymon's algorithms on their big box pedals are new, and not the same from their smaller pedals of the same variety.
I've read the exact opposite numerous times. for example... I am pretty sure if you dig around on this forum you'll find a strymon rep saying that the timeline and el capistan use the same algorithm.

Kluch

This thread intruiges me as I only own one strymon pedal (ob.1 compressor) and never owned an eventide... but I'm thinking about switching over to an eventide/strymon combo for my delay/reverb needs for midi purposes and I feel like the continual vote for "immediate tweakability" live usually goes to the eventide stuff... which is really important to me since I tend to tweak a lot during a live setting

theroan

I've read the exact opposite numerous times. for example... I am pretty sure if you dig around on this forum you'll find a strymon rep saying that the timeline and el capistan use the same algorithm.

SOME of the algos are the same but with more limited functionality. For instance the Timeline has algos from the Brig and El-cap, with 10 other completely brand new sounds.

JohanSolo

Eventide for me.
I have a finnicky fx loop in my main amp (line level and parallel) so without going rack... timefactor covers all my post amp gain delays/mods.

Ill be looking for a used space when people sell to get a bigsky

Strymon, analog dry path was the deal breaker, I had the hardest time getting eventide stuff siting where i wanted it to in the mix.

shoepedals

yes. and every single big box pedal from strymon has simply been a repacking of their individual pedals with a few more effects added on.

If by a few more you mean a lot more...

Timeline has 2/12 Machines from other Strymon pedals.
Mobius has like 2.5-3/12 from single pedals (chorus and flanger modes both have a bunch more different things in them than in the orbit and ola)
Bigsky has like 4 ish Machine types in common with other strymon pedals but none are really identical as far as I know. Shimmer is way expanded, Spring is expanded/different, Hall and Plate, same thing.

Let's be generous and say it's like 9 out of 36 (thus leaving 75% of the content new).

And the ones that are "repackaged" are often given new functionality (Vintage trem, Rotary, dBucket, and dTape are really the only ones that are actually the same across multiple releases).

Eventide is cool and all, but I never get along with the sound very well. Too 80s rack sounding for me. Strymon is my choice.

josetxu

Strymon for me. I've had a timefactor once ago and while the delays sounded ok the signal change between bypass-on was really noticeable. Very happy with my timeline (and gassing everyday about a flint and an el capistan)

u2streets

I love Strymon. I think they probably have an edge sonically, but I'd have to go with Eventide because of the H9. I LOVE being able to interface the H9 with my ipad. No menus, no more constantly bending over my pedal board tweaking knobs. I love having every parameter of a particular effect laid out and labeled, I find that this helps me to dial in tones more quickly and get back to making music. Really would love to see Strymon push into Bluetooth connectivity.

S. S. Bender

Neither, and I'm a long-term owner of a Space and a Modfactor. I'd take a "full" Fulltone setup as a first choice over Eventide or Strymon any day of the week, and a "full" Diamond setup as a second choice.

High-quality analog guitar processing never leaves me wanting for more. Can't say the same about digital.

lhama

Eventide, but I do like Strymons stuff. The only one (IMHO), who strymon beats, is the modfactor.... And I still find the modfactor very usefull. I havent tried Big Sky yet, though. If they go for a pitchfactor slayer, and delivers, then I'm impressed, and it could turn the tide.

Psyfuzz

Eventide probably, Strymon's good but I also find Eventide gear works fantastically in the studio for almost every instrument you can feed into it, whilst Strymon stuff can get a bit bizarre (which can be good or bad).

If you've got an Eventide Space you've pretty much got a fully fledge out board reverb rack unit, such fantastic algorithms and tweak-ability.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Strymon. I prefer the more tastefully limited parameters on Strymon stuff that makes it harder to get a bad tone vs the Eventide which much like a Mesa amp has to be precisely dialed in.

Strymon pedals are like Bogner amps. Lots of options, but hard to make sound bad.

Eventides are like Mesa Amps- a billion toggles, switches, chsnnels, and the controls are so powerful that they can make some really awful tones along with the great ones.

Your mileage...

Strymon have a unique balance between excellent products and a deeper connection with their customer base.

Strymon is top shelf to me because:
-I am inspired by their sound algorithms,
-simple user interface
-preservation of my original guitar tone (analog dry-through)
-website design
-product demos done by creative players
-continued product development
-excellent customer service

Trending Topics

Top Bottom