If you had to choose one for max giggage mileage...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joe Gamble, May 28, 2008.

1. Joe Gamble

Joe Gamble Member

Out of these three amps, which would you chose for an all-around gig machine workhorse?

'65 Deluxe Reverb
    '65 Pro Reverb
    '68 Super Reverb

:munch

2. mbetter

mbetter Member

The deluxe. You can always mic it, can't make the big boys smaller.

3. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

attenuator.

get the pro. Deluxe will never match the depth, and firm bottom end. I prefer the super, but the '65 pro will probably be worth more in the long run.

4. oldrock

oldrock Member

all good ones so not a bad choice in that bunch :)

5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

After owning at least one of each of those (like three or four DR's I think) and a Vibrolux to boot, my fav is still - a Twin with a half power switch. No, really. You can handle ANY situation and with comparable speakers it is only a couple of more pounds than the Pro. And since their not the flavor of the month, you can still get pretty good deals. Then get a DR or a PR for little quiet stuff. I like the 20 watters, but they can really get lost in the mix with a hard hitting drummer and I've never had to rely on the sound system or sound guy to get me heard.

But, given the three - I'd go SR. Pro's have an output transformer that's not my fav and the twin on half power sounds a lot better with that extra iron. Keep in mind though that a SR is hardly any lighter than a Twin if that's an issue.

6. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

65 Pro...if you're gigging with a band.I miss the one I had.I had a SFDR for 15 years on the gig.

7. Joe Gamble

Joe Gamble Member

Very cool points of view guys, although there doesn't seem to be a consensus. I actually own all three that I listed but have to sell two. Not cool.

8. doc

doc Member

Completely depends on the type gigs you play. If its mostly small clubs with lowish volume blues or jazz or recording, keep the Deluxe. If its classic rock with a somewhat loud band in medium size venues, keep the Super. If it was me, I'd probably keep the Pro and get an attenuator.

9. mj07

mj07 Supporting Member

Workhorse = DR

10. bynt

bynt Member

Man, I'd be happy with all of the above. I just got the opportunity to play a 65 Pro Reverb a while back though and I have to say it's the Fender amp that I'll compare all others to from now on. Just amazing. But all three are fabulous!!! I LOVE DR and Supers too. I guess this is a worthless response.

11. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II 1x12 (40W 4x6V6 or flip 1/2 power switch for 20W 2x6V6). Add 1x12 ext cab for larger venues.

12. Lammy

Lammy Member