If you had to choose only one amp for SRV tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by piloto117, Feb 17, 2012.

1. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Hey there guys and gals, there's probably a million posts similiar to this one, but I have a friend who is obsessed with the SRV tone. I keep telling him that practicing his SRV licks will take him further than actually having the exact SRV setup, but he's very stubborn into buying an amp. I suggested Fender, be it Bassman, Super reverb and even the Hot Rod or Blues Jr. could work for him. What would you recommend?

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

This is actually a harder answer then you might think.

Most folks here will tell you any fender will work and I call BS! Thats just an answer from players who have never even gotten close to his tone and don't really care to.

What I have learned is speakers matter quite a bit, so even if he got a "fender" the stock speakers are going to be a road block.

Iconic SRV (pre-1985) JBLs. Post 1985 EVMs

Super reverbs are the best most available amps, but getting JBLs or EVM speakers in a 10" version is darn near impossible at this point.

Vibroverbs make it easy to replace the speaker, but $4000 for an original isn't going to happen.

So.... the next good option might be to find a USED Vibroverb Custom amp Fender made for a while. They are actually designed with Diaz to mimic SRV's amp. Get that, replace the speaker with a JBL or EVM and your friend will be VERY close to his goal.

For tone Reference, and to prove I'm not just talking out my ass. Here are two clips of me into my home built Vibroverb and JBL speaker:

Rude Mood

Random Noodling

Pride And Joy

now, these clips where my amp set as clean as possible and using a pedal made by a buddy of mine called the Arc Furnace (or now its called a El'mo) and where meant to demo the pedal, So the drive isn't from the amp. True SRV is drive from the amp.

3. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

The Morgan SW50

Here's the scoop:
    This amp started from a request by a customer to copy a D*mble amp from the early 70s that he owned. He was offered $45,000.00 for the amp and felt like it wouldn't be a good idea to use it out at any more bar gigs. After hearing and inspecting the amp I realized that although it sounded good there were a few things I felt needed changing to address some sonic qualities he and I didn't care for. The result is the SW50. This is an amp that really wants to stay clean. It will give you slight breakup at really high levels but retains a huge articulate and percussive sound stage. This amp works extremely well with pedals and will instantly give you that SRV/Mayer fat clean tone.

4. meterman

meterman Member

Super Reverb will get you as close as any one amp IMHO. I'd go for a clean Silverface over a Reissue for about the same amount of money. I had a sweet '71 w/ CTS Alnicos in it that could really nail SRV and cost me $800.

5. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

What is his budget? There is a huge price range of options. No compromise price I'd say Bludotone Hi Plains Drifter @ $5750. For a more mid priced option I'd have to agree with Tyler, a CS vibroverb or Super Reverb, or both in stereo....You'll also have people saying you can get it with a Hot Rod deluxe.

6. bognermatchless

bognermatchless Member

Two Rock Opal will give you that tone.

7. piloto117

piloto117 Member

Yeah budget, almost forgot! The kid wants to spend $1,500 tops. But, if he finds an amp say around 1,000, he'll invest the 500 into what I'm guessing tube screamer and pickups.

8. kinggabbo

kinggabbo Member

My blackfaced 1972 SF Super Reverb easily gets there.

9. grizdeluxe

grizdeluxe Member

10. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Given SRV recorded with several different amplifiers, some with several microphones mixed down to one track, and several different guitars I think you are chasing an unattainable dream.

Any open-backed Fender blackface style amplifier is going to get you darn close.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Yeah, nothing to it.

[​IMG]

12. aflynt

aflynt Member

A Blues Jr. would be the last thing I'd recommend, especially if he's going to emulate his playing style too. Stevie had a very heavy right hand and usually had amps set up to handle that without farting out. I'd look into getting 40-50 Fender and beefing up the speaker and output stage. IE: clean speaker with tight bass, ss rectifier, big filter caps in the ps, etc...

-Aaron

13. Morgan24

Morgan24 Member

Yes buy a Silverface Supereverb. As JubileeMan already stated you need to change the speakers to really nail SRV tone. Original JBL and EVM sometimes shows up on Ebay especially Ebay.de there are four EVM right now for 370$. But having the right amp is not gonna cut it if you dont have big hands and heavy strings.

I also think Stevies number one was a big part of his sound everytime he played another strat his tone changed a lot!!

14. mikemac

mikemac Member

I'd say to get the general SRV feel, about any blackface and really good fingers should do it. To get pretty darn close without his rig, a cooking Super and a TS about nails it.

15. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I'd made lots of attempts but it was the 15" JBL that sealed the deal

16. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

I've heard some good, I'll say Texas blues tones rather than SRV, tones come from a Fender Custom Shop Vibro King.

17. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Every time I have caught myself thinking "wow, that's it"... it has been a BF Super and TS combo cranked. The problem these days is where can you run a Super that loud? I have not tried to attenuate one, and am not sure how much you lose of "that sound" when you do. But, that amp seems to have most of the raw material to get many people an amazing blues tone. If you have the back to carry it and the ears to take the SPLs.

18. jb1984

jb1984 Member

I'll put in another vote for the Morgan SW50. SRV was one of the first things I thought of when I went to go pick mine up.

19. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

Blackface or early silverface Super Reverb has it in spades. I had an original Vibroverb, but it needed to mixed with a Super to get the tone. Of course, there are the telephone wire size strings and Stevie...