If you had to pick a Matchless-Vox style combo......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mrdavek, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mrdavek

mrdavek Member

Gang:

My other guitar player is looking for a good Matchless-Vox style combo amp.

I am a Bogner guy, so I can't help him.

He wants to stay in the $1500-1700 range

What would you recommend?

2. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

BadCat Black cat -it's like a matchless :D

3. 19rick52

19rick52 Member

TopHat, Club Royale 15watts. King Royale 30watts. He wouldn't be disappointed with either.

4. shuie

shuie Silver Supporting Member

Ceriatone DC30 clone with Westlabs iron and some tuning.

5. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

So you're friend wants something that sounds like a Vox or a Matchless, and has enough money to buy a Vox or a Matchless. Why doesn't he buy a Vox or a Matchless?? lol :)

Sorry for being blunt... just a little confused by your post.

6. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

so many different flavours there.
    where to start.

7. Wallace

Wallace Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, I liked the Club 2X12 :Cele H/GB mix. :BEER. Sweet!

W

8. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

hard to beat a c-30...

9. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

At the boutique end of the scale that'd be a really tough choice. Many, many cool amps out there with great variations on the Vox theme.

I'd be inclined to try to find a 90's AC30. I've had mine for over 10 years it's always been absolutely reliable and tone-wise I like it just as much as my MUCH more expensive 65 Amps London.

10. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

12. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Hey MJ!

Doing OK but just got back tonight from a coworker's funeral. She was 58 ad basically worked herself to death. So I'masking myself if consistent 10-11 hr days are worth it anymore.

Anyhow enough of that - I think the Snake River may be for sale by Pete Faragher but not sure.

We still have to compare Bludo's and I guess trussarts now!

Cheers

Nigel

13. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Its not.

As for combos that are voxy.

I personally cannot own an amp like the new voxes. they sound good although seem a tad bit lower powered than an original vox. and slightly more generic sounding. But they sound really good. keep in mind I am comparing it to a fully serviced "real deal" vox.

I also have reached a point after having 2 new voxes. That I will not buy a chinese made product any longer. I don't care for the quality or the building style and I don't care for the business behind it.

That being said the Divided by 13 RSA31 is awesome. A bit expensive but in the long run its made in the usa, by hand, quality construction, and reliable. Call the company and talk to the owner/builder. Thats the way to go. imo

14. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

by the way a bogner guy can help him as a bogner metropolis is in that price range used and is a great little amp.

15. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

+1

dk

16. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Hi sunsetamps. I cannot argue with you about your opinion on the business side of it. I guess my question is ... it's a UK company running their own factory in China, 'vertically integrated' as they say. So the profits go to UK. I never see people complaining about sending profits to a UK company when discussing Marshalls & Oranges. But if a company opens a factory in China, it's different somehow.

Just sayin'.

You are right that the new VOXes may not sound like the old VOXes, but they sound good to me ... they stand on their own :) Personal opinion.

Assuming a VOX is not out of the question, here's my reply having just bought a VOX :)

Have him look at the VOX AC30 Custom Classic w/ the blue speakers, they are exactly that price. There is so much versatility in that amp, there will be a sound he likes.

You get a lot of stuff in that amp.

• Two channels (Top Boost and Normal) with separate inputs and Volume controls
    • Input Link switch for channel blending
    • Bass, Treble, Cut, Master Volume controls
    • Footswitchable two-mode reverb, footswitchable tremolo
    • 2-position Reverb Drive switch
    • Footswitchable tremolo with Speed and Depth controls
    • Output Bias switch (22- or 33-watt operation for more- or less-headroom, your choice)
    • Filter cap value switch (changes filter cap values from 22µf to 44µf)

The downside is that there are not any really great ways to switch back and forth among the many sounds in this amp with your feet.
    :)

[​IMG]

17. Rob Sharer

Rob Sharer Muso-Luthier

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

So, to summarize:
    Vox Sound: pretty limited in your price range, probably a modern Vox is as reliable and good sounding as anything else he'll find. For a great sounding amp in a slightly different flavor, the Brian May amps are just killer!
    Based on Vox Sound: started with the Matchless amps but now every one and their dog is in the cathode biased EL84 business: /13, Matchless, Badcat, Bruno, JMJ, JMI, Gabriel... and most of them can be found used for under $2k. All of them sound great, he's going to have to try and find a few to try out...

19. Moods

Moods Supporting Member

Get a used Matchless. With that kind of price range you can get a Spifire, Lightning, Nighthawk... or put in a few more $$$ for a SC or DC30. A used newer MIC Vox handwire would fall in that price range and a new one is very close.

<M