If you had to pick, POLL -please don't be shy :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cary Chilton, Mar 2, 2006.

Which pedal maker's boost or od or dist pedal Exceeded your expectations the most?

1. XOTIC'S RC,AC or BB PRE

2. BJF'S: BBOD, EGDM, DRD, HB

3. MI AUDIO's :CB, BB or BB pro

4. MENATONE'S: TBIAC, WMB, DB, FF, KK, HOWIE

5. PAUL COCHRANE'S: TIM, TIMMY

6. LOVEPEDAL'S: ETERNITY, COT50

7. ANALOGMAN'S: KOT

8. BARBER'S: DD, SSDD, LTD, LTD silver

9. FULLTONE'S: FULLDRIVE II ( any version), OCD

10. KLON

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

If you had to pick JUST ONE boutique pedal company's (or single maker's) boost/overdrive/distortion pedal in their product line, WHICH company's or maker's product EXCEEDED your expectations THE MOST --->relative to all the boost/OD/Distortion purchases that your have collectively to date???

For me, it is easy, the STAGEHOG version 5 that features my suggested modifcations. Because it is new as of this month and not everyone can afford to throw down 600 USD on one tone generator[ with exception to wayhuge fanatics of course!!!] I have not included it in this poll.

The purpose of this is to collect some stats to maybe assist those who may have a tough time choosing their first boutique pedal or a heaven forbidden their second boutique pedal!

PLease make your best judgement, it will be tough in some cases or maybe easy, to pick just one option. This should be intersting, let's get to it!

EDIT: due to the constraint of 10 voting options I apologize in advance if your favorite boost, OD or Dist. pedal was not included (clay jones, way huge, catalinbread, Texas two step, keeley electronics, tubester, etc or even a boss or maxon pedal). If your pedal was not included simply, post it in as few words as possible to make it easiest for poll viewers. This poll will last for 20, in case some members are busy or on vacation.

2. Cary Chilton

I apologize to John Lutz and others who posted to this previous thread that posted before I could add the poll, so it was deleted.

3. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

None of the above.

My vote would be for HomeBrew Electronics.

4. Cary Chilton

please state the model :)

5. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

CMATMODS way exceeded my expectations with the Tubeslammer and Phat Boost at a third of the price of anything listed, they just kill!
    I get boutique to near boutique tone, hand build quality and the pedals are super quiet! and super affordable.
    For most of these boutique companies you expect a lot for the prices or wait times they have so mostly I've been pleased not oft overwhelmed.
    The Barber LTD was probably underwhelming just not quite my thing.

6. Cary Chilton

Folks, don't be upset if I could not include every pedal in the vote, just post it.

7. billybob77036

billybob77036 Member

Just an observation, why is "ANALOGMAN'S: KOT" in italics?

8. Cary Chilton

billy, question, I don't know why either. no reason, anway. Just vote or post billy. Thanks

9. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Supporting Member

I voted for the Fulldrive II. It's just a great pedal. It's a classic. Though I have been into the Xotic stuff lately, if I had to pick just one, it's the Fulldrive.

10. otherone

otherone Supporting Member

Proanalog Dual Drive!

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

HomeBrew Electronics:

Power Screamer - OD
    Big D - distortion
    Germacide - multi-frequency booster
    UFO - fuzz/octave

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Keeley TS-9 mod plus

13. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

This is a tough one. Strat into Carr Mercury.

Timmy with my neck PUP.
    Blue Boy with my bridge PUP.

If I had to pick one I might have a meltdown.

Okay - I voted for the Blue Boy.

14. PaulC

PaulC Member

I don't get it - is this poll about what pedal exceeded expectations, or which is the better pedal?? People are posting both ways. Which brings me to my point - I HATE POLLS!!

While I'm "tied" for first right now I can't say I'm happy about the thread. It's about tone - it's not about sports and numbers. Can everybody who voted even say they've heard all the pedals listed? I've only heard 5 of them myself. Can everybody who's posted say it's only about the pedal, and not about any like or dislike for the maker??

I'm not crying about being in polls for fear of "losing", but I'd still like to see them all go away. Say the pedal is great or sucks - I'm fine with that. But leave the sports thing out. David's post is the perfect example. He likes mine with one pickup, and another pedal with the bridge. That's what it's about - tone flavors! You need 6 different pedals at least...

Rant off, PaulC

15. Madsman

Madsman Member

I voted Klon, because I expected WAY less than it delivered. My #2 would be the RC Booster, which I sold after getting the Klon. I'd like to try Paul's stuff, but right now, I'm in a pretty happy place boost/od-wise.

For ODs specifically, I couldn't be more happy with the Blues Pro. As an OD specifically, I would say it's better than the Klon. And it TOTALLY exceeded expectations... I thought it would be good, and it's spectacular.

16. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

See, the reason I choose the Keeley TS-9 was because I really didn't expect that much. Don't get me wrong, I love his work but from what I had read it seemed that I would like the Analogman Silver better and I chose the Keeley. So this poll also depends a lot on your expectations which is something I think Paul was getting at too.

17. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

18. rewog

rewog Member

ToneFactor HellBaby.

19. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I have tried a few from everyone listed (except the KOT, and only tried barbers DD and SSDD). The pedals that Exceeded my expectations were the menatone blue collar and red snapper. The red snapper the most. Great pedal! The TIM was a close second (when I tried it the second time and messed with the tone controls a lot more)I cant wait to get my timmy.

20. JackButler

JackButler Supporting Member

Been through almost all of them (timmy and Zen to come though!), Eternity has wiped the floor with everything. Sold my old Klon, Keeley TS, Powersceamer, AM silver, and more. Versatile and raw. The RC boost for boost is tops (outed the klon).