If you had to play into a sterile SS amp, what pedals to use?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by carltonh, Jul 19, 2006.

1. carltonh

carltonh Member

Out of curiosity, what pedals would you use to change a sterile SS amp into something as good and tubish as possible? I assume these would be put last in the pedal chain so that it would create the basic clean tube like sound, and higher gain pedals could go in front, but is this necessary?

The V-Stack set clean works well except they have a particular coloration that you may not want, and isn't terribly clean with high gain pickups. My Barber Direct Drive actually works much like my old V-Stack Classic for this too.

My Throbak ODB set clean adds some harmonic overtones like a power tube amp... some fuzz pedals set clean would also work to a degree.

I assume the Blackstone would work, but would have to go first in the chain.

What others? Some pedals designed for their interaction with a tube
    amp may or may not work well alone. My MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe could work well only if set to virtually clean, otherwise it has too much (symmetric clipping?) compression for this application. I'd be curious how the Barber Small Fry, the Tim/Timmy, Zendrive and others work to bring a dead amp to life.

(I'm not referring to pedals that can bring a dead amp to life with high gain, because that is a pretty big list. High gain is where gain pedals excel most. Low gain pedals are usually designed to be low gain for a tube amp. No one wants to clean boost a dead SS amp. Also, some tube pedals could work, but I'm more curious about simple SS pedals.

Maybe some BJF pedals would work, but I haven't paid attention to them only because of their price/my income ratio.

2. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

COT50.
    Mine sounds good through a lousy SS amp I have, as well
    as awesome through the Vibrolux...makes the amp, through using
    the volume control of the guitar, sound *enriched*:BEER

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

My Catalinbread SCP never fails to blow my mind when I turn that thing on. My Boss EQ-20 is the icing on the cake. I use a Marshall AVT amp, and there's nothing like the open mouthed shock of guitarists in the audience at a gig have when they hear my bag of delicious tones :)

4. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

My SansAmp GT-2 works great with a SS amp.

5. cameron

cameron Member

COT50 or OCD would be my choice. I wouldn't put either of them last in a pedal chain, though, more like in the middle. I'd put delay and clean boost after them.

6. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Member

Before I was able to get a tube amp...I had a Catalinbread SCP-->Rat combo that worked pretty well. I had the Rat set for high output, but at a very low gain setting...nice sound IMHO.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

I used to use a butler tube driver

8. erksin

erksin Member

The Tube Screamer was originally designed to mate with SS amps - maybe some TS-style pedal..?

9. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

This is about the best tone I've heard from running a pedal into a solid state amp: http://www.runoffgroove.com/matchbox-amp.mp3

The clip is of the "Matchbox" pedal into a SS Randall amp... The Matchbox is a pedal-version of the pentode (EF86) circuit of a Matchless DC30. I know olcircuits.com is working on a kit for this pedal, which would make it super easy to build, and worthy of taking on the best pedals on the market.

10. DJLantz444

DJLantz444 Senior Member

11. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

Oddly enough, one of my nicest clean sounding amps is the ugly ass Peavey Wiggy. Laugh all you want but when it's dialed in properly it's got a seriously good clean tone. I spice it up with a Timmy, SCP, and OCD. All three pedals sound really good thru it. I've also used a few distortion pedals, Lovetone Black Magic/ MI Audio Crunch Box and both of those worked really well too.

Of the six amps I currently own the SS Wiggy seems to be the favorite of everyone who hears me play. A guy that drums in a very busy jazz band up in DC/Maryland just couldn't believe it wasn't a tube amp. So as much as I love my tube amps, I can't really diss the SS's. They seem to be getting better all the time.

12. rewog

rewog Member

A couple of pedals that were designed to do this I believe are :-

The Red Llama and all variants and clones (the Dirty Dan is a nice one & is again available at ToneFactor - they won't be there long).

Marshall BluesBreaker (original series) or clones.

Both are nice pedals that also work well with tube amps.

13. Perry D.

Perry D. Supporting Member