If you had to start over and could only have 2 amps, what would they be and why?

cmoney1977

vintage blackface deluxe reverb and a vox ac15 (vintage preferably but I currently have a Magic Amps Brit mk II clone which is just as good) . why? because you could cover just about any thing with those and some pedals.

Last edited:

cmoney1977

Hmmm...that's a tough one. I think I would go with two I already own - a modified BF Bassman and a Magic Brit. I feel like I could do everything I need to with those and not necessarily miss anything else. Gives me low power and high power, and my Bassman is modified for a Marshally/Tweed Bassman Normal channel. I could possibly sub the Bassman for a Deluxe Reverb.

Tweed Deluxe though would be hard to not have in the mix.

I just got a magic Brit Mk II. its pretty fantastic

Reactions: JZG

DrProgNerd

I don't need two. I just have one: Port City Pearl.
On it's own it has a gorgeous clean tone that I believe to be superior than my previous favorite clean-tone amps: Fender Twin, Two Rock Studio Pro 35 and Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva.
But it also is an incredible 'platform amp' - that will turn it into a brilliant drive-amp with the right pedal in front of it.

k tone

The two I would keep are my Marshall DSL40CR Vintage and and my Fender DRRI. That is the eventual plan when I downsize.

tweedeater

Silver Supporting Member
A Fender Deluxe pre CBS...to me the best of that magic Fender tone, and a Top Hat Supreme 16 for Marshall and Vox tones. Now if I could just get someone to pay for them. ;)

Glass Onion

Toneful truth seeker.
Platinum Supporting Member
EVH 5150 III stealth 6L6 and A blackface fender twin. Covers pretty much anything I would ever need. And yeah they are loud but I got a enough room to enjoy it. If only one amp then a great JTM 45 and cab. That can cover most as well with some pedals and I have tons of those but don’t use them much these days.

mlambrechts

Hey,

I currently own a Marshall style and a tweed deluxe style amp. I'm thinking of selling both and going in a different direction.

Just basically wondering, if you had to start from scratch, what 2 amps would you choose? Tone, versatility, weight...any and all factors that you'd consider.

Thanks!
The two I have now: 1. Marshall Astoria (red)+2x12 Morgan cab with cream speakers 2. My tweed Bandmaster combo, handmade 56 from Fender.

Modeler and a large power amp with a reasonably flat-response speaker setup. I've mostly moved in that direction over time, as lugging several amps just to get "that sound" which was somehow dialed in on a modeler in about 20 minutes didn't make much sense, and I do far more at home or remote collaboration. A loud amp is very fun, but to pick two: no. That is why I'll bypass the "real" amps only and go straight to signal processing.

TG3K

Currently gig with an Axe-FX III and will eventually add an AX-9 as a backup. No desire to stop using a modeler.

If I was forced to go back to using real amps, it'd probably be a black or silver face Deluxe (I already own a vintage 1960s silver face) and something in the Marshall style (perhaps a Friedman of some sort).

TheCount0212

Hey,

I currently own a Marshall style and a tweed deluxe style amp. I'm thinking of selling both and going in a different direction.

Just basically wondering, if you had to start from scratch, what 2 amps would you choose? Tone, versatility, weight...any and all factors that you'd consider.

Thanks!

I'd stick with my Peavey Classic 30 1x12 (Cannabis Rex) and Marshall JCM 800 50W 2205 head w/ 2x12 cab full o' Greenbacks.

Last edited:

midimench

Hey,

Thanks!
I stopped using my Fender Hot Rod 4 years ago when I bought my hand wired (built like the Fender's of the 50's) Dr. Z Maz Jr. The loudest 18 watts I've ever heard coming thru a one 12' speaker. If I need more volume, I can always mic it. The sound is like a chime quality with such presence, it's amazing. The output tubes are EL84's (like a Vox). Here's the tube setup: V1: JJ ECC83S, V2: JJ ECC83S, V3: JJ ECC81, V4: 12AX7/ECC83, V5: Sovtek 12AX7LPS, V6/7: NOS 6N14N (EL84 – matched pair), V8: Sovtek 5AR4. Check them out, they're not cheap, but they are certainly worth it.

bigben55

I feel that the two I have now, can and will do everything ill ever need an amp to do.

Small amp: Valverton Saratoga. It's actually not all that small; it's a 16 watt 1x12. Think, tweed Deluxe-ish, but tighter, crunchier, louder, with a more Marshally preamp. 3 knobs gain, tone, and volume. Loud enough to gig, can use with pedals or plugged straight in. No frills.

Big amp: Glaswerks Zingaro 50. Has all the frills! Loud enough for most everywhere but has such amazing volume control you could play it anywhere, even the smallest rooms. Plenty of headroom. Has 4 great tones(clean, overdrive, either/both boosted). Great reverb. Just a phenomenal amp, and I'm not even a big Dumble type guy!

Are there other amps I like and want? Hell yes! But if I'm honest with myself, there are none that I NEED. Or probably ever will need so long as I have these 2.

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
Hey,

Thanks!
I had to chuckle when I read your first paragraph. Those are the two amps I would want. A JTM45 for the Marshall and a 5E3 Tweed Deluxe.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom