If you had to trade or sell an amp to get another amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Buck Woodson, Aug 13, 2019.

1. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Currently trying to downsize and my fender bandmaster reverb is on the chopping block.

I have considered selling a few to get the Suhr pt15ir as it would save a box to carry. Most of the time live I am using a Mesa ta15 into a Suhr rlir. Since the Mesa has no effects loops, that means I treat it as a single channel amp, so the Suhr would save dirt pedals as well.

As far as what I would sell to get the Suhr, would probably be my Marshall 2553 and the second amp is where it gets tough. Probably either my Mesa mark Iva or Vox ac50. I also have a 1960 fender brown super, Soldano hr25, Mesa ta15, and masco ma50. Theses days weight and connivence seem to be on my mind more and more. When selling I look at how much I am using the amp and how hard it would be to replace.

2. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

If I had to trade in an amp, I'd dump my hand-built Mojo kit amp for a nice production tube amp - probably a Mesa Fillmore or something. Of course my trade-in value would be pennies on the dollar. While it was fun at the time, I wouldn't have an amp built custom again - too many gremlins, noises, intermittent reverb outages, etc. If I was an amp tech, I'm sure the fixes are easy but for me too high maintenance. I can't stand running an amp over to a tech's shop similar to how I feel about taking a car in for warranty work. The SS amps stay because they just don't break.

3. fescue

fescue Member

Do tell about not bonding. It is good to hear the likes and dislikes before jumping ship.

4. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

I’ve probably owned over thirty different amps over the past three years. I’ve owned as many as 10 at a time an as little as 2 amps. Most of these acquisitions involved another amp sale or trade.

I have three amps right now that I’m very satisfied with and I have no current plans to move any these amps for another.

5. ESW.

ESW. Member

Honestly, I felt like the power scaling was oversold. It knocks down the volume for sure, but it sounded kind of harsh to me. I was looking for a cranked Hiwatt sound at low volumes and neither amp really got me there. It's all personal preference, though - there was nothing wrong with either amp, just not what I was looking for.

6. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

I would get rid of something cheap, like one of those little Hotone Nano heads, and buy a Suhr Hedgehog.

7. scott

scott Member

Same, I’m pretty happy but I find myself searching the web for a good deal in a thunderbolt. Thats the only piece of gear I wish I held onto. Such a great little amp.

big mike likes this.
  8. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    I am totally satisfied with my Marshall amps. I went down the boutique rabbit hole and loved Diezel Amps for about 20 years, until I could no longer lift them in and out of my SUV to use in clubs. I went right back to Marshall amps where I was prior to using Diezel Amps.

If I had to buy another amp, it would be either a Marshall, or a Metro-Plex.

blackba likes this.
  9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

I would sell my Vibro King for a nice mid/late 60s BF Vibrolux. :dunno

10. Calebz

Calebz Member

None of my amps are worth enough to cover even half of the cost of any of the amps I want.

So screw it.

Keep all the things.

big mike likes this.
  11. In Absentia

In Absentia Supporting Member

I’d move my KSR Gemini for the right Komet or a Suhr Hedgehog 50. I’ve changed some things stylistically and those make the most sense. I would maybe trade for a an XTC 20th, as well.

12. LPtone30

LPtone30 Member

I'm a minority around here, I've only ever kept one amp at a time. I know what style amps (vox style) suite me best so I've never felt the need to have multiple. I've also only had 3 amps in the past 15 years so when I got the new one the other got sold.

13. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Tell me
    We pine for the same amp lol
    Literally I know you had it after I did :)

14. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Best amp fender ever made.

TravisE and FenderBigot like this.
  15. scott

scott Member

I know. Lol.
    I don’t need that particular amp back but I do want a thunderbolt again. Although that amp would do just fine.

big mike likes this.
  16. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

17. naveed211

naveed211 Member

Swap my Pro Junior for a Suhr Bella? Convince myself I can swing another $1500 or so in credit card debt?

18. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I'd sell my Marshall 2203X and get a Marshall DSL50.

19. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I have a JJ Jr. head and matching cab. I recently sold my BE-50 and matching 212. At 40lbs for the head and 63lbs for the cab, I was tired of carting it up and down the stairs and in and out of the gig. The JJ Jr is much easier to take around and really sounds awesome. I also use my Axe III and ASC-10 for most gigs which is a great lightweight and plenty loud setup.

If I was to get anything new....I would grab another Mesa JP-2C Limited and a Mesa Widebody 1x12 cab. I really don’t need it though. The only thing I would gain from the Mesa is a different set of tones and a bit more power. The models in the Axe III of the JP-2C are killer and spot on bar none. The FOH tones from the JJ Jr. direct out are far better than the resistive load on the Mesa as well. The EQ and features on the JP-2C are amazing. Again though, it is a 40lb head that I don’t need to be carrying around.

20. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

My perpetual dilemma: There is nothing I want to sell, but plenty that I want to buy.

althekiller likes this.