1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

If you haven't played an Edwards yet, you are missing out! (335-alike content)

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jimi D, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

Well, I finally took some pics, and having owned the guitar for over a month and used it in both rehersal and gigging environments now, I think I'm mostly over the honeymoon period, though it's kinda hard to tell since I'm still so damned happy with the thing that it makes me wonder if I'm not still pink-clouding...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The pics tell most of the story from a cosmetics side - this is very much a straight forward 335-alike, though a very, very well built one. I even took a dental mirror into the soundholes and the interior construction is very, very neat. There's no soundhole binding, but the binding around the body and neck is perfect - which means it's better scraped than that on the last two Gibsons I owned. The finish is Nitrocellulose - this model is from Edwards' "Lacquer Taste" series of guitars - and you can see that the burst is excellent. It's difficult to describe the tactile "feel" of the finish on this instrument, but anyone who's played a guitar with a well-cured Nitro finish on the neck will know what I'm talking about when I say that it feels really "organic" under your hands. It has a long neck tenon, for what that's worth, and another interesting construction detail is that the tone block is Mahogany rather than Maple like on a Gibson. The Duncan Jazz in the neck and the Custom 5 in the bridge are great pickups in this guitar, and the Gotoh tuners and other hardware seem very solid and stable. The nut was very well cut at the factory, but for .009s, so I'm having some very minor binding issues with the wound G in the .010 set I'm using - I'll try some lube before resorting to widening the slot. Over all, this is an incredible guitar for the money - easily on a par with what Gibson's producing for more than twice the price nowadays. These really are worth seeking out...

2. sosomething

sosomething Supporting Member

Where did you find it? Ebay? I've been looking for someone that can ship Edwards and Jackson Stars guitars over here for reasonable prices. There are a number of guitars built exclusively for the Japanese market that are very cool...

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

How do you order one?

stratzrus

4. Luke V

Luke V Member

Looks Great. How does it sound?

5. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Nice score, Jimi! I've had my Edwards E-LP-105LTS/RE (non-Super Circuit) since the beginning of this year and I'm still enamored with it. I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I ordered it, but when I opened the box and played it for the first time I knew I made the right choice. For the money (even including shipping) they're really hard to beat. I bought mine through Ishibashi and had to wait for it to be built or shipped to them from ESP's factory, but it was worth the extra wait (plus it was notably cheaper at the time too). The high quality components (US Duncan pickups, Gotoh hardware) and solid woods (one piece back & neck w/long tenon on mine at least) are surprising to find on guitars in this price range. Shocking even. Anyway, a big congrats on the purchase! :D

Here's a pic of mine for what it's worth (click to enlarge):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. VanStone

VanStone Member

Looks like the Edwards threads are all the rage this morning, eh? ;)

I'll can certainly say that I've been more than pleased with this little gem:

[​IMG]

I've had her since May. They are damn fine guitars right out of the box, but I like to tinker. Mine is now equipped with Rio Grande pups, Gotoh Locking Kluson-style tuners, orange drop caps, and Dunlop strap locks.

That 335 style is awfully tempting. Hmm.... might be about time to check the "guitar fund" balance.

V

7. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

them edwards is a nice kuntars eh?

seriously...those all look great..i havent had the pleasure of trying one yet...

8. LaXu

LaXu Member

Try e-mailing http://www.katanaguitars.com or http://www.ishibashi-music.com/
    Both in Japan since ESP/Edwards guitars are not sold in stores anywhere else so depending where you're from you end up paying shipping ($100-140 I think) and taxes (mostly just Europeans).

9. Jimi D

Jimi D Member

I'm the second owner - scored it in a trade for a customshop Aria PE (with a MSRP 2X the Edwards') I was pushing a few months back because I just couldn't adapt to the neck carve, and I've been thrilled with the trade. The original owner got this directly from Japan... Unless you can find a second hand one, I think ordering from Japan is your only option if you want an Edwards in North America...

I think this guitar sounds fantastic! I've really been enjoying tweaking the volume and tone knobs to eek out all kinds of cool tones from the pickups, especially with the switch in the middle position. Acoustically, it's quite resonant and louder than a solid body, but I haven't had any problems with uncontrolled feedback at stage volumes. These Duncans are good pickups and they seem to suit the guitar - I haven't owned an ES-335 style guitar before so I can't really compare it to the original, but I doubt there's much difference between them...

10. chetsmith

chetsmith Member

When I discovered the Japanese Market on Gibby copies I was beside myself becouse I new through my research that Edwards and alike kick but over the U.S. Stuff. I have an Edwards Les Paul and its great! and the price for the quality is mind boggling to me. I can honestly say I will never buy a Gibson again Why when you can get something built like the historic series for so much less. Awesome Guitars. Glad you got it and Love it. Enjoy!

11. stratopedia

stratopedia Member