If you know circuit diagrams..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slicepaperdavid, Feb 27, 2009.

1. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

I've had this amp for about a year, It's incredibly inspiring. It's built by a local guy who's amp pop up every know and then around town. I've emailed him with questions to no avail. I've posted these schematics before and had varying responses. Some saying the amp is based off of a 5E3, others a Matchless Spitfire, a Vox AC15, etc.... Can anybody give me some definitative info on this baby. What amp is it based off of?

http://www.geocities.com/craigbbbb/AtlasTweed.gif

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. HughesP

HughesP Member

Where are the schematics?

3. axelicker

axelicker Member

Am I missing something?

4. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Think Vox/Matchless with 6v6 outputs. Parallel input tube like a matchless, single tone control and then a voxish longtailed pair phase inverter. Far from 5e3ish.

Unlike a vox, it doesn't have a choke in the power supply- this is more like a tweed. Cool little simple amp, bet it sounds great.

5. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

Thanks redtoploader, it produces my ideal guitar tone, one I'll keep for the rest of my life thats for sure. Great to know more about it after hearing mixed things, I had thought for a while it was a Fender Deluxe clone but its pedigree doesnt suprise me as it definatly has a Vox/Matchless type sound.

6. epluribus

epluribus Member

Also reminds me of a Marshall 18-Watt. Some interesting little tweaks for voicing and gain here and there. But what's up with the pot between the PI and the power tubes? Not an MV I don't think, but not real sure what it is.

+1 on the sound, I bet it's a cool amp.

--Ray

7. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

How would having no choke in the power supply effect the sound of the amp and make it tweed like? Forgive my ignorance

8. Billm

Billm Member

That 1 meg pot is a post-PI master volume. It just limits the amount of PI signal hitting the 6V6s by blending/canceling the out-of-phase signals from the PI. This is the crudest form of post-PI MV, but it obviously works in this amp.

9. epluribus

epluribus Member

Glad somebody else thinks that--that's all I could come up with, and it was just weird enough that I still don't trust my conclusion. But like you said, maybe that strange approach does some very cool stuff that's not real obvious to us. But still...cool amp...fosse-natin'.

--Ray

BTW, the choke. Cuts noise, cuts residual supply current ripple from when it was AC, cleaner and stiffer than the filter cap variety of B+ power. The caution is that done "badly" (depending entirely on your taste) it can rob the amp of the power supply "excursions" that make your harmonics dynamic and evolving over the life of the note. BTW, in making the power supply a bit more stable, it can also enhance bass response and on balance make the amp somewhat darker.

Haven't personally re-wired a guinea pig with one yet, so I can't say for sure--just conjecture based on what they do in general from an electrical standpoint. IIRC, and I might not, seems to me tinkerers of the choke ilk report results like this.

10. slicepaperdavid

slicepaperdavid Member

thanks for all the input , some smart cats