If you like Steve Lukather...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by magnus, Aug 10, 2019.

1. magnus

magnus Member

2. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Looked through it... respect

magnus likes this.
  3. Wagster

Wagster Supporting Member

That took a lot of work, thanks!

magnus likes this.
  4. archtop

archtop Member

Thanks so much for your efforts. I’ll enjoy sinking my teeth into this. No TAB means I’ll have to some work, but you’ve already done the hardest part.

magnus likes this.
  5. Rob G

Rob G Member

That's very cool! I'm a massive Luke fan and have had the pleasure of hanging with him a few times. I will definitely check this out when I have some time, thanks so much for sharing.

6. archtop

archtop Member

Fellow students of Luke,

I’m checking out the Rosanna solo. I’m wondering about something in the second measure. When he bends from G to A at the 12th fret of the G string, would he have fretted the following Bb on the same bent string, or at the 11th fret of the adjacent B string?

He does the same move an octave higher in the last measure on the high E string, which would have to be accomplished all on the same string. So, I’m guessing he does the same on the first bend?

Also, I’m wondering what fingering works best for you in the second have of the 3rd measure on the ascending run, particularly as it pushes up through the Ab, A, and Bb on the G string?

7. magnus

magnus Member

Yes, same technique in both bends. There should be a ”hold bend notation” on both instances that indicate that ( don’t forget to check the Notation guide). In the old Starlicks video I think the first bend is played on the 2nd string, 8th fret. I think both ways work equally good, but the 2nd string might need a little more hand strength.

8. stratamania

stratamania Member

I can confirm that it definitely is.

The bend is held and the Bb is played on the same string.

Phrygiandom and archtop like this.
  9. archtop

archtop Member

Thanks. I got the hold bend idea, just not whether to fret in front of the held bend, or sound the second note pedal steel lick style on the adjacent string (admittedly not great as it’s a semitone away).

I guess that’s the first Luke stylistic thing I’ve picked up. I’ve never thought of fretting in front of a held bend on the same string before, apart from a tap with the right hand index finger much higher up.

10. stratamania

stratamania Member

It is done on the same string.

The Starlicks video mentioned although it is quite old now is worth checking out as there is a lot in it.

11. magnus

magnus Member

Basically keep your first finger on the 10th fret, second finger on the 11th fret and so on. Only exception is where you play the ab on the 2nd string and slide up to the A.

archtop likes this.
  12. stratamania

stratamania Member

@magnus I am going to check out the book you did. I did a quick skim through it looks very good. As I am not on Facebook I will say it here, many thanks for the work you put in and sharing.

magnus likes this.
  13. Rafterman

Rafterman Silver Supporting Member

I can read music but some of those passages are tricky to execute at speeds! I need tab....I'm a loser.