if you only could bring THREE pedals? (with conditions)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Oct 21, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I know this has been done over and over. Usually I don't even really care for these threads, but as an exercise, was just thinking of what would get one the most "bang for buck" if one wanted to...

Minimalize, yet keep flexibility.

Meaning, say you start with a good, solid, two-channel amp with a really nice lead channel and decent reverb. In other words, two (clean and OD) really nice solid sounds already, with ability for nice reverb on both.

Now...not counting a tuner pedal, what three pedals would you choose to give you some ability to add dimension, change things up a little, without being overbearing? Please don't just list pedals, but list also the idea behind it...how you'd use them.

I'm thinking:

Dunlop 535-q wah (or Picture wah, or bud-wa...etc.)
    KR Megavibe (or Mojo vibe, or Mini-deja-vibe)
    Martin Red Repeat delay (currnent fave, or deep blue delay)

The wah I'd use as both weird tone control at times, rythmic, wailing, etc.
    The wah is an obvious effect when used. It's nice to learn to just hang the foot in the sweet spot too with small movements, not heel-toe and back.

Vibe is great (you get two in one, I also like vibrato settings with little depth for chords and feeling of movement in solos) for changeup.
    It CAN be obvious or subtle, fast or slow, and gives nice movement overall.

Delay I like to use with medium delay times, low in the mix (to acheive the same in band setting it must be higher, and if a good effect loop in the amp I'd use that) generally just on solos, to add some nice depth and ambience. Delay is a medium subtle effect the way I set it, and can just add that little without overbearing or changing the basic sound.

2. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

RMC 3 wah
    Eventide Modfactor or Nova Modulator
    Eventide Timefactor or Nova Delay

If they had to be single pedals...

I'd have a Boss CE2 for modulations and a Boss DD7 or DD5 for delays.

3. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Tim
    SCH-1
    Nova Delay

4. winkofaneye

winkofaneye Member

RC Booster
    Clyde
    Dejavibe

5. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

RMC2
    TIM
    DL4 (i love it even though it can be a pain sometimes)

6. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

+ 1 with JMS

7. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - this is my main drive anyhow, and having the boost option is a nice extra.
    Line 6 DL4 - Gotta have a delay, and I use mine frequently.
    Akai Headrush - I do a lot of looping in my new band, so I need this, though if we had to we could totally make do without it.

If I were forced to really go simple I could make do with the Fulldrive and the DL4 and not have the third pedal. I'd miss having the extra color options my Holy Grail and OCD bring me but it's nice to know that I wouldn't be S.O.L. if they weren't there.

8. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Assuming that I wouldn't need my BSIAB II, I'd have to go with:
    (and this isn't a cheap setup, just minimal)

Dr. Boogey (or an EQ, depending on how high gain the amp is)
    RetroSonic Chorus
    Eventide TimeFactor

9. powermatt99

powermatt99 Member

Xotic AC+
    Cusack Tap-A-Whirl Tremolo
    Line 6 DL-4

10. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

DOD FX40B EQ (I know its cheap but its solid and I love that it can boost or cut up to 18dB)

Fender Blender (for a deep, crazy Octave up Fuzz that is set to destroy or dial it down and boost it with the EQ for more 'normal' Fuzz tones)

Roland RE-20 Space Echo (love the fact that it sounds very analog-y and warm plus it has tap tempo and a unique twist/oscillate feature)

11. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Sparkle Drive
    RT-20 Rotary Emulator
    DD-20 Giga Delay

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's up to each person to decide what they want to write, but I had hoped for more of the thoughts behind the three you pick.

I think a list of pedals can be fine (a few times I've just seen a list and thought "yeah...that is a good combination") but was hoping here to HEAR from you guys more about WHY exactly...what the thought process is, when you can't take everything and the kitchen sink, WHAT is important, and do you think about balance, as I kind of did, or do you go for the really extreme things (wah, trem, super fuzz, etc.) , or only subtle (compressor, mild od, chorus, reverb..etc.) and all that.

Some folks gave some of their thoughts on this and that was cool.
    Not knocking "just listing the pedals", it's cool, but just hoping for more what thoughts behind the choice.

13. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Delay
    Flanger
    Overdrive

Your choice of brands

14. mprvise

mprvise Member

15. sa1126

sa1126 Member

I could get away with a Box of rock alone but having the following would be perfect:

SHO -> BOR -> Echo 600B

16. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Visual Sounds H20 Liquid Chorus and Delay
    Budda Bud Wah
    Zvex SHO

17. el34power

el34power Member

MI Audio Tube Zone. Sounds good in anything i tried it with.

OCD as a solo boost..see above....

Boss DD2.

18. jb1911

jb1911 Member

BBB07--> ScrewDriver--> Echo

19. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Ok, I'll revise mine with a little clarification:
    Again, assuming the amp has good clean and good lead/distortion channels, and a decent reverb:

Dr. Boogey or an EQ - for a heavy, scooped 'palm mute' metal sound; the Dr. Boogey gets it, so I can use that or an EQ to scoop the mids/boost the bass/highs of the amp's distortion channel.

RetroSonic Chorus - I like the idea of chorus with a little headroom so it won't distort. The RetroSonic is a copy of the original Roland/Boss CE-1. Chorus is a little more useful to me than flanging, phasing or rotary, so it's the modulation to have if I have to pick just one.

Eventide TimeFactor - I would need to have a delay unit for either full-on long or short delays, plus a range of light echoes for ambience. I'm on the verge of selling my DD-20 (don't like the buffer/bypass) and the TF is the only thing that has me interested due to having a lot of user presets, as well as true bypass and Eventide quality.

20. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

modded rat to cover distortion and fuzzy shizzle that the amp can't sizzle. . . budda wah (self explanatory, no?). . . . dd20 (gotta have my leslie sound. . . and of course 4 delay patches). i could do it. . . . . i think i'd miss my ft-2 the most though. . . then the ex7. . . . then the phase . . . then the tuna melt. . . . and i wouldn't really need the other 3 dirt pedals becuase. . . . it'd be in the amp. . . . it'd probably be weird without a timmy . . . . . what's a man to do?