If you place a cheap cable after a good one your chain...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Presc, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Presc

Presc Member

Do you effectively lose all of the benefits of using nicer cables before it?

For an analogy, I'm seeing it like a large diameter plumbing pipe going into a smaller diameter pipe...the max water capacity going to your sink is dictated by the small pipe. But this is electronics, not plumbing, so I'm curious.

Thanks.

2. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Somewhat...it depends on capacitance, length etc....typically, using cable with the same electrical properties for your entire chain provides the best results...

3. starfish

starfish Member

I think most of the differences will be capacitance and that will be cumulative over the total length of the cable run to my understanding. So, placing one lesser quality cable of short length on a pedalboard (granted, not a cheap plastic Hosa!) shouldn't have a major impact, but will have some impact on capacitance and noise, possible microphonics too.

4. DiscoFreq

DiscoFreq Member

Maybe it's the opposite: if you put a bad cable in the beginning of the chain those imperfections will be treated by the pedals that follow it (boost of certain frequencies/noise?)...

5. radcliff

radcliff Member

Don't cross the streams

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Try it.
    If you can hear the diff in a 6 inch patch cable either the cable is truly horrid or your ears are incredibly marvellous.

7. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Mark,

I have wondered this same question for quite a while now. I was all ready to have you hook me up with two good cables (guitar to board, board to amp) about a year ago, and then read a similar thread. Man, if I wanted to do all the ones on my board at the same time, it would double or TRIPLE the expense of doing it.

So, asking the expert, if you are using something "normal" like LiveWires for all your pedal connections, is it worth it to go ahead with the two good longer ones? Or should I wait til I can do it all. I had pretty much settled on your ELC and would have no problem doing a "solder it yourself" pedal board kit, as I build pedals and stuff so I'm not afraid to save some coin on one of your kits.

8. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

It depends on location. The cable from guitar to pedalboard (without pedals this isn't a debate) is by far the most important. The one from board to amp, less important, and pedal interconnects, less important.

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

If you put a piece of 1" diameter pipe in a 3" drain pipe, does the water drain through the pipe more slowly? Yes! The same thing happens when you use a cheap cable inline.

10. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I use some pretty nice cables direct to amp or direct to pedal board.

Now, inside my pedalboard there are a whole bunch of little (gasp) Radio Shack cables.

I think I lose more tone just going though a bunch of pedals and having at least 40' of cable---any kind of cable. But I don't care if I lose a bit of signal or a little high end. I have bigger fish to fry....

I have a hard time thinking that 2ft of decent cable is any worse than going through even some of the finest pedals with all those tiny little wires and circuits.

11. this1smyne

this1smyne Member

doesn't which pedal the cable is after make a difference too? if you're using $100 cables after a cheapo danelectro, the cable is going to be carrying bad tone through it, the same way, if you place a cheapo cable after a great buffer, will be as bad as after a true bypass pedal?

12. Presc

Presc Member

I was curious...I've been using bottom of the barrel cheapo cables for years. I just ordered a Pedaltrain Jr, and figured I might as well get some decent cables too - better durability, lower noise. I went with the Fulltone Gold Standards - I've got them for guitar to board and guitar to amp, and I got a few patch cables but it was getting expensive, so one or two of my patches will still be crap.

I go Teese wah, OCD, true bypass A/B with one out to amp vibrato channel, the other out to Barber Direct Drive and Guyatone MD3 echo into normal channel. The MD3 is the only one that is buffered, but it is very transparent.

I'll be doing all Fulltones through the "cleaner" portion of the chain that goes into the vibrato channel. My dirty side of the A/B will still be cheaper cables.

13. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I really don't mean to sounds like a smart-arse, but I question the physics/electronics underpinning some of these posts. Are you referring here to electron drift speed?

No offense intended at all, just trying to make sure the OP gets a good answer to his question.

14. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I'd think it's a collective of all the cables used. That said, to hell with theory... if it sounds good, use it!!

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

And when I use my garden hose and make the exit hole smaller the water goes FASTER. So, if you use tiny wires the electronic pressure will rise and force you signal through more quickly.:jo
    It ain't so. Nor is it so in your analogy.:worried