If you sit in front of a computer screen all day at work

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jpervin, Mar 3, 2015.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

...how long before your eyes start to get tired?

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

I used to be based at a computer. somewhere between 4-6 hours and the yawning.... eyes blurring etc.

(SO glad I have that job away and returned to a physical job, lost 10kg's in just 2 months.)

3. FXPedal.com

FXPedal.com Member

Severe fatigue began setting in after four hours about a year ago (I'm 46). I got prescription computer glasses a few months ago and they've been really helpful.

4. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

My brain goes into vapor lock from dealing with my supervisor long before my eyes get tired.

5. XKnight

XKnight Member

I got prescription reading glasses a few years back and have no more fatigue. I also make sure I get up at least every 30-40 minutes and walk around.

6. 76strat

76strat Gold Supporting Member

get these: http://www.amazon.com/Gunnar-Optiks...=1425420583&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=gnnar+optic

I have two pair (and log at least 6 hours per day in front of 75" of monitor) and they are simply awesome. I'm no expert of them, but my I saw my IT guys wearing them and asked them about the glasses. Evidently, they were developed by gamers who were literally wearing out their eyes from staring at computer monitors all day. Great for programmers and others who are locked behind a monitor for any amount of time. Another side benefit, though likely not intended, is that they have a tiny refraction to them (I'd say about a +.25, give or take), which makes them fantastic reading glasses for those needing only a slight magnification.

They're a bit expensive (very expensive if bought directly from Gunnar Optics), but you can sometimes find them for as little as $30, or so, from Woot and others.

Give them a try--they're great.

7. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

I should probably get computer glasses. I feel like I'm staring at my computer most of my waking hours.

I do the standing desk thing for about half of most days, which has helped me feel a little better overall. Gotta take of my eyes though....

8. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Usually a few hours. Depends on how tired I am from the night before. Luckily I'm not staring at a computer the whole day but for a good portion of it I'm in front of a computer.

9. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

my problem is that my eyes end up getting super red by like 1pm. so i look crazy stoned. not good.

10. Cornbread

Cornbread Silver Supporting Member

I'm on my computer 12-14 hours a day. No fatigue.

11. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I get up and walk away for a few minutes every hour or so...I realize cube dwellers can't do that, but every two hours, you're allowed a break. Use it to get up and walk outside for few minutes...

12. Betos

Betos Member

THINK TO BLINK!

I'm on them all day, this is the advice my eye dr gave me. I tend to get intently focused and don't blink, so my eyes dry out.

13. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

Me too- pretty much. No glasses, and my eyes are 64 years old :dunno

14. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I just ordered a pair. I'll let you know what I think.

I work behind 3 huge monitors all day. Been doing that for decades. I have my fluorescent lights dimmed (they call my office "the cave") and so far, so good. At 60 I can still read the fine print on the menu at the restaurant. But lately I've been finding my eyes get tired at the end of a day at work.

My eyes are my career so the $90 is well worth it if they help even a little.

15. tcdrover

tcdrover Member

Me too.

I work from home though so I take frequent breaks whenever possible. :aok

I have worked plenty of 15+ hour days without moving too.

I got a migraine one time. I work on an HD monitor, I used to have a big 55+ inch HD tv right next to my desk. One time I moved my head from the monitor to a LED clock then directly to the HD TV.

I got the worst headache I've ever gotten. I don't usually get headaches. I think it must have been a migraine. It was so bad I felt nauseous and could not sleep for most of that night.

16. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Supporting Member

I've been doing it 17 years. I swear that the old CRT monitors wore out my eyes. I work from home and take a guitar break about every 4 hours or so. If I don't consciously remove myself from my desk and put some distance between myself and what I'm focusing on, I'll burn up a 10+ hour day without even noticing it. My butt gets sore before my eyes give out.

That's one thing about being on a team in an office, you get interrupted by meetings and other stuff so much your eyes get rest.

- D

17. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I have had blurred vision from too much computer use on two separate occasions. I got the Gunnar glasses and they help, but i tend to forget to bring them to work.

The key is to avoid eye strain before it happens. I try to read paper books and articles as much as possible to give a break from the computer screen.

18. micycle

micycle Member

I'm in IT and also do web/graphic design so I look at monitors a LOT. Never bothered me although my vision is starting to blur a bit.. I think that's probably just because I'm 41 and need to get my eyes checked, I've been 60/40 for 20 years but I guess I can't hold onto that prescription forever... Dust, wind, dude.