If you sold your AXE FX II...what would you get?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by tremonti, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

Hands down.....it's the greatest thing since sliced bread....does everything you could ever want. BUT....sometimes I just crave simplicity over options. I have a sickness where I frustrate myself with always doing the software updates, that changes all the patches, then I have to alter everything again over many hours. I know...I don't have to update, but I do because it's free and usually has major benefits. That or I just endlessly tweak. It's a love hate thing.

I'm just curious here. Need an amp that has a great clean, crunch, and lead/boost.

If you sold your AXE FX II:

What TUBE amp head or combo would you buy?

What floor board based effect processor to have multi effects(needs to have midi to be able to switch amp head channels)?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

For what I like to do:

• Bogner Shiva w. Bogner OS212
    • Bogner Ecstasy w. Bogner 412
    • Matchless Clubman w. Matchless 212
    • Rivera Rake 55 w. Rivera Rake 212
    • Germino Club 40 w. Germino 212
    • Wah (Fulltone Clyde Deluxe)
    • Delay (Strymon)
    • Xotic RC Boost (Clean Boost)
    • Eventide Modulation Pedal (Chorus/Flanger/atmosphere)

That'd cover most of what I would need to do in my current playing situations with stuff I know and stuff I like and could work with.

Now add that rig up to the cost of the rig I have now; no comparison.

3. tremonti

tremonti Member

Ya...I'm just curious....probably just frustrated after practice last nigh. Updated 5.01...went to practice and everything sounded like it needed to be tweak. STUPID OF ME. I'm almost 99.9% sure I won't switch to something else. Did it before years ago and quickly ran back to Axe Fx! Suggestions are appreciated though!

4. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I resist the urge to do every firmware update to a large degree to avoid what you just experienced but I do plan to update to 5.1 when I can clear the time to do so.

I could live with my Sig:X and a nice delay in the loop, and I'm looking forward to auditioning the upcoming Suhr PT100 with MIDI.

While they are not replacements for the Axe II, I could be very happy with either one of those amps.

5. stevorc321

stevorc321 Member

Just got back from practice. For 3 years I've pretty much used my Axe-FX exclusively. Tonight I used a pro junior with a reverb pedal in front. It was awesome!!

6. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I don't think I'd go back to tubes. This year, I'm actually making an effort to divest all my tube gear. I don't see myself going back across the Rubicon.

Depending on why I was getting rid of the Fractal, I might get a GSP1101, a TM60, or something along those lines.

7. PhilF

PhilF Member

I'd go back to my Egnater Mod 50. It's collecting dust, but I refuse to sell it unless it's absolutely necessary financially. It's a great amp. Both versatile and sounds amazing.

8. DarrenTD

DarrenTD Member

Funny, I just posted in a thread yesterday that I fired up my old Triaxis/Intellifex/5050 rig for the first time in a long time, and it was "GLORIOUS"! My wife was gone so I cranked it up pretty loud through my Bogner OS212, and it just sounded incredible. Honestly, if volumes were not a concern at most gigs these days, I'd most likely still be using a tube rig instead of my Axe Ultra. Just sayin........:p

9. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

Yep

10. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Guys - he asked 'that tube amp' would you buy. Not what other modeler.

11. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Probably a Deluxe Reverb (maybe a modern, trusted builders take on the DR) with a nice selection of pedals and an attenuator/load box. Then look at that Torpedo stomp in the future to run the amp into for a direct recording solution.
    -- OR --
    An Egnater MOD50 setup
    -- OR --
    A nice Marshall-esque amp like the Suhr Badger and all the other stuff listed above.

12. cardinal

cardinal Member

What type of music do you play? A VH4, Columbus switcher, and a bunch of the Eventide pedals would make a killer MIDI controlled rig.

13. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

If you're in the position to both keep the Axe FX and get a Tube Amp, then I would go that route.

I go through stages myself where all I want is guitar -> cable -> tube amp and sometimes maybe a few pedals. The next day I may feel like diving in to create new patches and the modeler gets all of the attention. I like having the option to do both.

14. felken

felken Member

I would keep my TR Custom 50 and 2-12 cab and would regret not being able to record almost any sound I can imagine.

15. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'd probably just stick with my current backup rig - an Egnater Tweaker 15 1x12 combo, a modded Bluesbreaker drive pedal, a script logo MXR Phase 45 pedal, a Sonic Research tuner pedal, and a Boss VF-1 effects processor in the loop for time based effects with a Boss expression pedal for effect level changes and a Tech21 MIDI Mouse for effect program changes.

The Tweaker is loud enough for most any application and it can be mic'd for anything else.

The VF-1 is used for live and practice applications and is ommitted when recording. I still own a decent selection of mics so recording would be easy enough.

I also own a few software modelers and a Korg Pandora PX4 headphone amp so I have options for headphone practice at home and away.

This small, simple rig does everything I need from an amp and effects. The Tweaker has turned out to be one of my favorite amps of any I've owned. This entire rig cost me less than $1,000 and, should catastrophic failure occur, I can replace the whole rig with the same amp and similar effects for under $1,000 out of any Guitar Center anywhere (with no waiting list ;) ).

There is no direct replacement for the AxeFX II. The Ultra is close but I don't think I'll ever be interested in moving backwards in modeling. If I cant have the AxeFX II I'd rather have a real tube amp. The Kemper may have all of the tone and response offered in the AxeII (I say 'may' simply because I have no personal experience with it) but it lacks the deep editing that the AxeII offers and it falls short in the effects dept. Also, the KPA's form factor is a no go for me.

That about covers it for me. :)

16. seranance

seranance Member

In that case....Kemper.

:p

17. Yek

Yek Member

When things sound very different at rehearsal than at home, verify that all other variables are equal. Happened to me recently. Was using a cable at home and a wireless at rehearsal. Rehearsal tone was so much brighter. Didn't suspect the wireless but it turned out to be just that. Before realizing that, I tried to solve it through tweaking, stupidly enough. :)
    Another 'advice': try keeping everything at default and dial in your tones at rehearsal. And then, when coming home, resist the urge to adjust the controls! :)

18. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

That's a tube amp, huh?

19. guitarnet70

guitarnet70 Member

A lot of tube amps! :D

20. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Back to Bogner I would go. I would try out the new models to satisfy my GAS, but I would look for an old Shiva, one with the tubes positioned horizontally ... they had the mojo IMO.