• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

if you want a klon in a small package...

blazzrock

Silver Supporting Member
what would you buy? i love the klon, but it takes up so much room. i'd like to downsize my board if i can replace it with something similar in a small package.

blazzrock

Silver Supporting Member
I'm pretty sure there is nothing like a Klon Centaur.
i know. that's the problem. i love how it fattens up the tone of single note lines, makes everything sound more forward, and still retains the chime of my amp. i may have to suck it up and loose the trem from the board to keep the klon.

Cpt. Picard

"They" at that "other" site drew up a new pcb and set up an exact Klon replica in a small hammond box.

If you're not into soldering you could probably convince someone to build one for you.
I think they called it the sagittarius or something.

nibus

"They" at that "other" site drew up a new pcb and set up an exact Klon replica in a small hammond box.

If you're not into soldering you could probably convince someone to build one for you.
I think they called it the sagittarius or something.
I owned one and a/b'd it with a real Klon - was pretty different to my ears, though it still sounded great in it's own right.

cubistguitar

It's not a Klon, but the low gain settings on my MI Audio Blues Pro rock. It fattens the tone without a big shift in character. It is very small/ smaller than MXR boxes.

Cpt. Picard

I owned one and a/b'd it with a real Klon - was pretty different to my ears, though it still sounded great in it's own right.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were a few different schematics floating around.
I thought someone did an A/B test and it checked out about perfect? (i.e. no more different than two Klons are from eachother)

Did you own the small box one, or a differnet Klon clone?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there were a few different schematics floating around.
I thought someone did an A/B test and it checked out about perfect? (i.e. no more different than two Klons are from eachother)

Yeah, there were a bunch of different schems and many contained errors. I think the other site now has an "official" schme (no errors) posted.

TG

le_plastique

I would think, with a degree of experimentation, one could get a pretty close approximate to a Klon with a TS based pedal and a really good eq. When I had last heard a Klon, and it's been a while, I think, despite whatever settings, "Okay, more low-mids." Granted, I think a TS and Klon might compress a bit differently, but if you were boosting a Super Reverb near the edge I don't know how a person could tell the difference in a band setting. And that's really what it's all about, right?

nibus

I owned a small box created from the new verified schematic at the forbidden forum.

So the components were smaller smd rather than the full sized. This may or may not have affected the tone.

They were similar, but the real Klon was superior to my ears.

StompBoxBlues

First...there are really at LEAST three Klons...

What I mean is, some folks use their Klon exclusively as a clean boost, with gain WAY down to practically nothing.

There are some that use it with low-med gain (I'm in this group) and some use it higher set (I imagine, though I've never met one)..

Personally I LOVE what the Klon does to my tone (with Stat or LP, but most with LP) medium gain...anywhere from 11:00 to up to 3:00.

So...

IF you want what the Klon does so well as BOOST...that would narrow it down and I think you have a chance to get at least in the ballpark. I would suggest the Ethos (clean channel) but it is even bigger than the klon and about as expensive so no point in that. The SHO can do similar things, and I wonder if the BOR (Zvex) might get in the ballpark?

IF you want the OD sound, it could be harder, but maybe some folks here have a good suggestion? The OD sound to me is...hard to describe, but reminds me of old and new ABB, and is middy but not too boxy..the dual ganged tone control I think has something to do with this too...

seiko

I would try the catalinbread booster on the fat setting, not the same but a cool sound in its own right with some similar qualities. BTW... I've only ever tried the Klon with a fender super reverb, so bear that in mind.

Cpt. Picard

I owned a small box created from the new verified schematic at the forbidden forum.

So the components were smaller smd rather than the full sized. This may or may not have affected the tone.

They were similar, but the real Klon was superior to my ears.
Hmm... this is interesting.

I wonder how "verified" the schem really is now...

I didn't listen to the a/b test, and now I'm unsure if it was ever even posted.

My guess is that component selection (i.e. brand/manufacture) will have a fairly significant effect.

Guess it's time to warm up the ol' soldering iron.

(BTW, is this topic taboo here? :confused: )

Trending Topics