If you went "back" to a Boss DD-20...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sambodious, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Steven

Steven Member

I had the DD20 for many years on my board and its a great delay pedal. Great sounds, four presets and built like a tank. I only replaced it cous I needed a pedal with MIDI program change so now I´m using the H9 for delays.

2. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Does the DD-20 digitize the dry signal?

3. songtalk

songtalk Member

The only "issue" mine have is the lit screen is really sensitive to pressure and kind of "smears" the liquid when I press buttons near the screen but it goes away when I pick my finger up off the button. I have 3 and they all work great and look good and were babied but all do this one annoying thing.

earwax likes this.
  4. ThinPaperWings

ThinPaperWings Member

No, it's analog dry-through. Pretty much all Boss delays have this topology AFAIK, except for the RE-20.

5. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm considering going back to the DD-20. Loophole Pedals (and a few others, I think) do a cool rehouse to make it more pedalboard friendly, so that would be a worthwhile investment. I played one not too long ago for the first time in years, and I was reminded of how fun it is!

[​IMG]

6. chandra

chandra Member

I really love my DD20. I see DD500's in the locals for not that much, but I'm never tempted to buy one. The DD20 is so easy to dial in and has a great overall tone out of the box. I have a standard delay in the ready position, and for the presets, modulation, reverse, analog (which sounds so fantastic) and SOS. I do have an RE 20 also on my board for tape and an MS70 for quirky delays (everything alternates), but the first one I step on is always the DD20.

It really is a different animal from the DD500; The Giga Delay is a blank slate, and it's up to you to decide what roll delay will have for your sound. The DD500 has presets and encourages an adventurous mindset to sound design, but then you never really perfect your modulated delay, or your ducking delay, etc. You just create like 5 or 6 patches that vary in some way amongst each other and select the right one for the moment.

Which is absolutely fine, and great great great for live use. But I've found infinite preset delays to burden me creatively. This thread actually helped me last summer on deciding which of the two I should purchase, and now I echo many of the sentiments found here. Anyone reading this in the future, if you need a good delay with a handful of presets, you can't go wrong with this one. It really inspired me and helped push me into a different direction with my songwriting and playing. One of my favourite pedals.

monty likes this.
  7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

While I agree with your sentiment, I take issue with the highlighted part. If you want a workinghorse delay that sounds like everything you want a guitar delay to sound like (without getting too fancy, like doing wacky oscillation settings), is easy to dial in, and holds 4 presets + manual mode, this should be a top contender. Adding in a momentary switch for tap makes it even better (I bought a little third party one for 20 bucks).

chandra likes this.
  8. Jhuttyhut

Jhuttyhut Member

As everyone else has said, it’s sturdy, easy to make sound great, reliable, affordable on the used market, etc. There isn’t a need that I have that it doesn’t meet. I trust it.

Turnipfarmer and Moe45673 like this.
  9. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

Dang now you got me tempted to do the same!

Penguinchit and coltonius like this.
  10. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

is there some company that does this? what sort of added functionality does it provide?

coltonius likes this.
  11. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

That's not mine, but I got the picture from Loophole Pedals (website here). No affiliation, of course. :)

As far as I know, it's the same as stock with an added 3rd footswitch for dedicated tap tempo. I believe he can change the LEDs as well.

12. Kluch

Kluch Member

ya loophole pedals will rehouse them. I know previously Chesapeake effects did, but I no longer see that they do.

Added functionality allows you to have access to preset changes and tap tempo all at the same time (without needing an external switch).

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I have my DD20's config set to use the 2nd pedal to switch between manual<-->memory, and switch presets by pressing both pedals together. That rehouse loses me that option (although I can still switch by pressing the button on the UI). That's a problem for me :\

My 3rd party tap tempo box is so tiny, unlike the Boss FS-5U, that a rehouse of that type isn't something I am in the demographic for. Additionally, I love the Boss double pedals (I also own an RC-20XL and an EQ-20. I still really want a CE-20 even though I'd almost never really have a use for it)

earwax likes this.
  14. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

My DD-20 has the dreaded fine tuning knob fail. other than that it still mostly works the way i want it to.

15. IRG

IRG Member

I thought the DD-20 was ok, but didn't keep it that long. It was one of those pedals that had been out for a long time, and I wanted to own it, and see for myself. I had a DD-7 before that, and actually liked the tone of that a bit better, but the DD-20 has better functionality. It is a workhorse kind of pedal for sure. For me, the Nemesis easily replaced it. Better sound, just as easy to use, twice the repeats, plus a lot more tweakability IF you want it, but of course, you don't even have to go down that route (I don't use Midi, so I'm missing out on that fuctionality). Plus it is smaller, and also very well made. I'm sure something sooner or later will replace the Nemesis as well, may already have happened. I tend to look forward though, knowing there have been great pedals in the past, but stuff out now tends to improve on what was made in the past. Every company has to do that to survive of course. Boss did it with the DD-500. But the DD-20 is still a very usable pedal, and probably 75% of the time it can do what most guitarists will want. But that other 25% is important too.

monty likes this.
  16. zul

zul Supporting Member

Gigged the dd-20 hard. Hundreds of gigs in all manner of conditions.
    External tap was handy. Looper was too, although short at 24 seconds.
    I placed an mxr rubber knob on the control knob so that I could spin it
    with my foot. However, that move eventually broke that knob and it started
    working intermittently thereafter. Reason why I had to find a replacement.

17. monty

monty Member

Damn, I just bought a DD500 earlier today thinking I may replace my 20 (which I love) and was planning to list tomorrow on CL. Haven't played the 500 yet, will tonight.
    I might just hang on to that DD20 for a while now after reading this.
    Oh, it's about 13 years old and still works like a champ!

18. earwax

earwax Supporting Member

I have them both and so far can’t find the will to get rid of the 20.

You’ll have to let us know what you think.

monty likes this.
  19. monty

monty Member

Will do! I absolutely love the 20 and this thread has given my second thoughts.

earwax likes this.
  20. monty

monty Member

The 500 has some real cool sounds, but it might be too much for me. Not sure I want to do that much tweaking. Full disclosure, I had to look in the manual to see how to turn it on and off and switch banks(it was used and the previous owner had it set up to use with a external tap)!
    I'm going to mess with it a bit more before deciding. Got a great price I think ($240) and don't want to kick myself later if I change my mind and have to pay more for it.
    Also a question- how do I know if my unit got the big update?

earwax likes this.