• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

If you were moving to a developing country, and could only bring 2 guitars…

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
I’m considering moving to either Ecuador or Thailand, and downsizing in the process, letting go.

In doing this I want to be playing more not less, and in thinning the herd to close to nothing, the question becomes - what would I bring? On a plane. 1 Acoustic and 1 Electric.
What is not only worthy, but perhaps can endure climate change, that I’m ok with if gets a little more banged up, doesn’t perhaps look to blingy…

I realize its a first world problem, I can sell and buy something where I go, that would work out, maybe be great, be more like other musicians in the area.

So acoustic, if I wasn’t coming back - and I thought it would stay safe, It would be between the Collings OM1A and the Eastman E10SS (J45). If the Collings OM1A- and just let it do what it has to do, because it can do it all, seems like it would hold up, with some degree of humidity control, and is a simple design in the end. It would get more dents and scratches over time, maybe if I kept traveling in the quest, but isn’t that what a really played guitar would do? I’d have to find the acceptance and the joy - and look beyond the perceived value. The Eastman would be less valuable, louder, bigger to carry around, less refined, but perhaps for me, and for many - the right choice.

Electric would have to be my 52RI tele w/ Ellis pickups because its the one I’ve played and recorded with the most. Or the Eastman SB55DC/v (LP Jr) which is fun and simple but also seems to scratch or dent by almost looking at it - so I kind of worry about its stability

Also I’d take a nano mini board. Everything else goes.

You?

Last edited:

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Ok the tele for sure ;)
I do have a MJT Tele w/ Mare pickups… I don’t love it as much but I’d think less valuable than the 52RI w/ the Ellis.
Yeah over the years here I’ve got hooked at times to the unobtaniums (Ellis).

Last edited:

msquared

Platinum Supporting Member
For an initial move I'd take the cheapest and best stuff I had. I wouldn't take anything that would cost four figures to replace. Weather, security, and various things cutting into free time are variables you won't really have a good handle on until you've been there a while.

Scenarios like this are a good argument for finding an inexpensive guitar (and amp) that is worth playing regularly. I love my >2k guitars and play them all the time but it's nice to have a guitar that was three figures that I can grab for an out of town gig or a trip.

olejason

Unless you're moving to an extremely rural area you should be able to find plenty of gear in Thailand. If you're into pedals there are a number of south Asian companies and builders we really never see in the West.

Pretty much the same deal in Ecuador, plenty of shops. Downsizing is fun but just don't want you to think you'll be in a gear desert in those countries :D

Cheddar Kung Pao

Platinum Supporting Member
I wouldn't take anything super expensive coz it would probably be difficult to replace.

I'd probably just snag a sub-$2k PRS McCarty for my electric and like an affordable Taylor or Laravee or something for the acoustic.

Krausewitz

I’m considering moving to either Ecuador or Thailand, and downsizing in the process, letting go.

In doing this I want to be playing more not less, and in thinning the herd to close to nothing, the question becomes - what would I bring? On a plane. 1 Acoustic and 1 Electric.
What is not only worthy, but perhaps can endure climate change, that I’m ok with if gets a little more banged up, doesn’t perhaps look to blingy…

I realize its a first world problem, I can sell and buy something where I go, that would work out, maybe be great, be more like other musicians in the area.

So acoustic, if I wasn’t coming back - and I thought it would stay safe, It would be between the Collings OM1A and the Eastman E10SS (J45). If the Collings OM1A- and just let it do what it has to do, because it can do it all, seems like it would hold up, with some degree of humidity control, and is a simple design in the end. It would get more dents and scratches over time, but isn’t that what a really played guitar would do? I’d have to find the acceptance and the joy - and look beyond the perceived value. The Eastman would be less valuable, louder, bigger to carry around, less refined, but perhaps for me, and for many - the right choice.

Electric would have to be my 52RI tele w/ Ellis pickups because its the one I’ve played and recorded with the most. Or the Eastman SB55DC/v (LP Jr) which is fun and simple but also seems to scratch or dent by almost looking at it - so I kind of worry about its stability

Also I’d take a nano mini board. Everything else goes.

You?

Ecuador OR Thailand? Kinda of a random pair of countries, isn't it? Is this for retirement?

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Also have a (3rd) Eastman AR371CE - like an ES175, thats worth under a grand…. In a way that might be a do it all interesting instrument to bring, loud enough acoustically to at least enjoy and practice on, can plug it in,

Ecuador, where I am now, and Thailand, where I’ve been many times…. Very different places and both attractive for me. Could get into the pros/cons but both have beautiful and viable reasons that make them, to me, happier cultures to be in than the US in general.

Retirement? Yes from my acupuncture practice in Oregon and being in the US - but I’d still be doing my work and expanding on a few levels with projects related to my field.

JeffK

Gold Supporting Member
Could you arrange for a friend or relative to hold onto your current guitars? Might be worth thinking about, then either buy a cheap but decent Squire Tele to take with you, or wait until you're there and shop for something.

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
Sure, but at some point I‘m just there. The guitars available here in Ecuador, like the squires, actually cost double what they would in the U.S. In thailand or malaysia, as I recall generally more - and just not the selection. Its funny but I might do very well just importing boutique pedals and selling them to people - in Ecuador where shipping is a real expense and issue, and in SE Asia to the knowledgable musicians.

Next trip and maybe lasting stop for me might be initiate in a recording studio/session in Ubud (Bali Indonesia) so having something decent would be cool!

ProfRhino

when your grandpa's axe won't do ! :cool:

cort_gene_simmons_axe_bass_d959_fr_700px.jpg

ak47-guitar-from-an-ibinez.jpeg

better safe than sorry ... :p

serious again - unless you're moving in a war zone, why not pick one or two well playing budget guitars, like a Bernie and a MIM Fender ?
ymmv,
Rhino

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
And - If one is moving permanently to a nice place- why not bring at least one nice guitar?
I think the assumption here is that a developing country is a sh*thole, and every community there is full of thieves.

Its not like the US is everything guys. Nor the most secure Place ever.

Would you have the same response if I was moving to Portugal?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom