Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DonaldDemon, Jan 14, 2016.
With a pedal or two, use a nice LP or an SG.
PRS DGT-25" scale, great split on the hum buckers, nice frets, big enough neck, smooth trem, locking tuners...
The MM Reflex Game Changer can do anything, but the neck is narrower than I like. Plenty fat, though.
I went to this bar once and there was a band playing all these Santana covers. Guy was playing a strat into a Roland Jazz Chorus. No one batted an eye and no one stopped dancing. Really, no one cares.
We overthink these things a bit too much. Having to play Trower and Led Zeppelin in the same set is not the challenge we make it out to be.
I'd just bring an LP because that covers 75% of everything and no one will care about the remaining 25%.
Tele would be the middle ground between the Strat and LP. If I only had one guitar, I would use a Tele or LP for this set list.
Nobody is going to walk out because you didnt use singles or a wang bar.
I use a Flying V or a SG for a similar type of band.
Don't overthink it, just have fun.
Not one audience member, or even your bandmates will notice if you play Just Got Paid on the bridge humbucker of a Strat.
I'd play the guitar that I like to play. It ain't the guitar anyway, it's the person playing it.
In my heavy band, I use my LP, 335, and Tele. The closest bands I can think of to our style would be Foo Fighters and Coheed and Cambria.
A R6 into a plexi
Telecaster with humbuckers.
Les Paul with P 90's
If I were to try to cover those songs the best with one guitar from MY collection these are the guitars I'd use.
Starting with best choice;
1) PRS DGT w/ 2 hums and both splitable to single coils
2) Tom Anderson HDTC w/ S/S/H
3) Fender Tele Custom Hum in neck and Tele single in bridge
4) Gibson ES-335 2 Hums
I think any of these style guitars would be great choices for the songs you plan to do. I feel a guitar like the DGT would cover
the most ground for your music.
If it were me, I'd get a Superstrat with ether EMGs or some nice PAF type HBs in a splitable HSH or HH configuration.
The key to the Trower sound is nailing the univibe effect, anyway. I doubt the actual guitar matters so much since the univibe is so "honky", kinda like a wah.
Les Paul. Best choice, IMO.
Anything I like to play. If choices then dual buckers.
I can't believe this is even a question: do you need those mahogany body mids + treble snap of a maple top?
the answer: YES. nothing else would suffice for those songs...
I'd just use my wolfgang.
I'd grab one of my DGTs for that type of gig, though the LP would also make for a good fit. I just like the classic 'bucker sounds, and the ability to get KILLER split tones at the drop of a hat! A Tele works, too. I haven't got one currently, though.
You've gotten a dozen or more different suggestions. You can play those songs with any guitar, but perhaps you should consider which guitar sounds best on most of them, because you're going to have to compromise somewhere. You probably need a tremolo, so an LP with a Bigsby, or a DGT would work. Or just do the whole set with a Strat — that'd work. You can thicken up single coils easier than you can thin out humbuckers. So my vote for that set would be a Strat. Better yet, a HSS Strat. The DGT would work great too, but its single coil modes don't quite get there like a Strat does.