If Your Guitar has no Blemishes or Dings....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StevenA, Mar 1, 2012.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

...you're not playing it enough. I remember calling Jimmy D'Aquisto around '90 or '91 inquiring bout a build and I told him that if I ever got one of his guitars, I wouldn't play it, only buff it with a diaper, and he said "Nah, you have to beat the **** out of these things."
    Yesterday, I got my first blemish on my Ian Anderson Gold Top. Hooray, I'm on my way.

2. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

Now it's really "yours"!

Congratulations on your "customization"!

M

3. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Value just went up $50.

4. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

How much do you charge?

5. straycat113

straycat113 Member

First cut is the deepest!

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Any guitar is meant to be played and enjoyed, not kept in a glass case, or in a closet. The next person who gets it will certainly play it, and enjoy it.

Honest wear is not a bad thing. Abusing an instrument needlessly is what should not be done.

7. darkinners

darkinners Member

I really don't care ding or dent. I love the dings and dents on my guitars. as I will not sell them ever. value is not a concern to me.

I love those ding and dents represent the guitar is MINE, it's my own custom guitars :D and great memories in them too

price value might drop but sensational value went UP!

8. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

Smacked my 2x12 cab into the front of my 78 LP Special the other day, for about 20 seconds I was :facepalm then it was business as usual. It does have alot of dings already ;)

9. dysorexia

dysorexia Senior Member

I totally love this guitar guys. What a player, the toans...think about the toans. Ten seconds later it is in the emporium.

10. Wake911

Wake911 Member

I disagree. I play my guitars constantly and have for the 18 years i have been playing. and i think the only blemish beyond pick swirl i couldn't buff out, buckle rash, and neck wear where my hand slides(acoustic only) is a soldering iron mishap while re-wiring my tele. This includes studio use, home practicing, 4 years of lugging to and from rehearsal and gigs.
    I just take pride in keeping my guitars in the best shape possible. I wipe them down after intense sessions, i am cautious about where i set them (always on a sturdy stand or in the case). I know where i am on stage, so i don't hit drum stands, mic stands, speaker stand, or other guitars. Not that tough really.

To each their own obviously, but I've personally never understood the whole relic thing.

11. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

It is just painful to get that first blem, ding, crack on the instrument though ...

12. halorealm7

halorealm7 Member

There was a time when I would gravitate to the very "used" guitars when searching a music store. A well used guitar is likely to be a player and that's what I'm looking to buy. Gotta be a bit more judicious with all the relics these days. Congrats on the dent.

13. onemind

onemind Member

I find the first one painful. Probably shouldn't. But I do. Can't help it.

14. Lukeling

Lukeling Member

:agree even worse when someone else does it. I have a 1977 Greco Explorer/Destroyer that was in immaculate condition & lent it to a mate for a video shoot & it came back with a chip that hurt me. I got over it then one night the same mate crashed at mine after a bender , caught a cab the next morning took my Greco with him(without the case) & when I picked it up it had a massive chip in it. So two chunks & none are mine & the same guy did them both in the last year & it is 35 years old !!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  15. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

blems?
    huh.

IIRC: i don't abuse my instruments, without cause.

but:
    my guitars always seem to be getting kicked-over ::: usually face-planted;
    on stages, in crowded studios.
    and,
    sometimes, i strike them w/various (often, metal) objects ::: i like those useful sounds, occasionally.

why is that ok? maybe it's not, but they're mine:
    they get played, used, worked;
    that's why they're here, i think.

ymmv.

16. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I remeber my uncle driving home with his fresh off the lot Chevy picjup. He drove into the yard, got out, fetched a cinder block from the backyard, and threw in the bed leaving a big gash. "There, now that's out of the way."

17. riefil

riefil Member

When I got my 02 Les Paul, after about 30 years of lusting over them, it took me about 2 weeks before my 1st ding. I was handling it with kid gloves, doing a string change, when I laid it in it's case. Some how the lid came down and the tongue of one of the latches----doink----first ding. If I had put the pickguard on it wouldn't have happened. Now after owning it for 8 years (NOS in 04), there are normal playware spots happening all over. Now I play it without thinking about what if...

18. s2y

s2y Member

Mine aren't immune to blems and dings, but my playing style is fairly mild on the instrument. My main basses from when I was last in a band barely have any dings whatsoever. Finish swirls, but not much more than that. My stuff is either in the case, on the rack, or in my hands, which helps.

19. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Agree. This stuff is here to be used. They're tools. That's why I use all my vintage gear live. The point is to enjoy and share it; not lock it in a vault. Besides, guitars can be refinished but no one seems to get that around here.

20. somedude

somedude Member

I prefer to buy used guitars... they're usually cheaper and they come with the first ding pre-installed.