If you've been considering a Blackstar HT Club 40 [sale content]

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by succor, Feb 28, 2015.

1. succor

succor Member

There's a new special edition of the HT Club 40 that appears to have very slightly-updated cosmetics and a Celestion Vintage 30 (not unlike last year's "Vintage Pro" edition).

Street price is $799 but for some reason Alto Music has it for $499. I thought it was in error but they sent a promo email just this morning to announce the sale price.

Link for those interested: http://www.altomusic.com/blackstar-ht-club-40-se

[​IMG]

2. gregory347

gregory347 Member

3. succor

succor Member

Just a bump. I've heard the HT Club 40 compares nicely to the DSL40 (which I really like). I might give one a try.

4. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

I just received one of these yesterday. Will un-pack and set 'er up tonight after work. I'm hoping for good things as a usable amp for our "louder" gigs as I have a couple of 5 watters and an 18 watter for our normal, "next to no volume" gigs.

5. GS1

GS1 Supporting Member

I bought one of these from Alto Music two weeks ago, after never even hearing about them before. Great transaction and arrived in two days from NJ to Ohio.

I love this amp! Just a hack in his basement, so no gigs. The master volume works great, and it sounds really nice at low levels (to me). It is built like a tank. That price is a steal with that speaker in it. I returned a DSL40 before I bought this because it was just too bright to my ears. I really did like the build and set up of the Marshall though.

I find it pretty interesting that one person will love an amp, and the next will despise it. Good thing that there are lots of options out there!

6. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

Sweet amp and sweet deal. I've kept my ht40 as a backup amp. Some great tones/features.

7. The Funk

The Funk Member

Its a nice modern high gain amp. I actually liked the clean channel when I played one.

I went with a Mesa LSS instead on that round. I also just got a Badcat cougar 50 combo, so this would be redundant, even at that price.

Still a little weirded out about the tube/hybridness of this amp. It has a solid state PI and some op amps pushing the drive channel. Must have a solid state effects loop as well. Not that those things are critical, just kind of seems weird to the purist in me.

8. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

I have one ,Nice MV sweep, really nice clean channel not Marshall not fender it breaks up nice. I really like the reverb choices, there is a switch on the back for normal and dark reverb. Great price I paid 599 for mine. It exceeded my expectations for the HT line.

9. Mark Ray

Mark Ray We're Jammin' Gold Supporting Member

My initial impressions are very positive. I'm an EL34 fan for sure.

I haven't "dialed it in" with my full pedalboard or anything yet, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. It has a nice "thump" that my itty bitties just ain't capable of.

10. walshb

walshb Member

61 lbs?! Is that correct?

11. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I soooo wanted to like the original version of this amp but when I tried it out I was disappointed.
    Lots of distortion but no "crunch".

Looks like this new version has a "Crunch" mode so apparently I'm not the only one who noticed it.

12. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

The 60w always had a crunch channel separate from the lead. You're saying the new HT40 has a crunch mode/channel? Not just the classic/modern gain switch that was always in the drive channel?

If so, I'd still go for a three channel amp. Otherwise, either the crunch or the lead becomes useless in a live setting.

13. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

Hmmm. I just checked out the link. It looks like the version has exactly the same switches and functions as the original, in which case "classic crunch" isn't what many of us would consider actual crunch. I feel it's more of a wooly, toned down volume of the drive channel, whose other option is more of a saturated, high-mids focused, lead sound.

14. CaseofBass

CaseofBass Member

Bummed I missed this one, hard to find now