If you've purchased an unfinished body from Warmoth,

what kind of condition does it arrive in? Is it sanded and ready for primer or does it need some filling and sanding beforehand?

OR, if you've had a good experience with another builder (purchasing a raw body), who was it and whom would you recommend?

Looking at getting a Strat style body. Any help is appreciated! :)

Coopster

Got a Carvin kit yeeeeeeeears ago. Pretty darn solid guitar. Didn't appreciate it when I had it though and ended up piecing it out to cover other gas. That one needed some finish sanding and sealing but it was super easy to do.

rauchman

I did a swamp ash Tele body. I believe the body comes pre sanded at either 180 or 200 grit. Because of the open pores of ash, I had to use filler, but went in knowing that. I believe alder doesn't require as much to start on a finish.

JimInMO

I did 2 unfinished alder bodies from Warmoth. Finished both with stain and Tru-Oil. Put stain on right out of the box and did a light once over with steel wool, then applied multiple coats of oil. Nice hard and smooth finishes on both.

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
It go lightly with some 220 grit with alder. Wipe it with a wet rag first to raise the grain and you will get a smoother surface to paint.

Stew Mac and Reranch make easy to use spray nitro. Just be sure to let it cure for a month before wet sanding.

It go lightly with some 220 grit with alder. Wipe it with a wet rag first to raise the grain and you will get a smoother surface to paint.

Stew Mac and Reranch make easy to use spray nitro. Just be sure to let it cure for a month before wet sanding.
I appreciate the info! This one however, is going to my daughter to paint whatever she wants on the front of it with acrylics, and then onto MJT for finishing after that. Should be a fun project!

what kind of condition does it arrive in? Is it sanded and ready for primer or does it need some filling and sanding beforehand?

OR, if you've had a good experience with another builder (purchasing a raw body), who was it and whom would you recommend?

Looking at getting a Strat style body. Any help is appreciated! :)
Here's how my roasted swamp ash Warmoth body arrived:

I am cool with texture, so I used no filler, but 5 coats of delco nitro lacquer, resulting in this:

Trending Topics