iI just got an Echoplex!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mustangman, Sep 20, 2006.

1. mustangman

mustangman Member

Today i resieved my Echoplex EP3 which i bought from a fellow TGP member!! and let me tell you, it is just amazing!! For a while i was having some second thoughts about getting one, but i'm really glad i got it. The warmth is just :drool So if your thinking about getting one, "don't think twice, it's alright" - Bob Dylan.

I'll post some pic's later.

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

I had one a while back and loved it.

I'd love to have a TTE

3. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I gots to try one of these through the Fargen sometime. I always use a little delay with it anyway. When can we do it Brew?

4. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

There IS no going back.

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Congrats man.

I used an echoplex from 84 till about 90 when it crapped out. At that time there was no internet and parts or people to work on it were nowhere to be found. It ended up in the trunk of an old junked car at Pick a part.

I recently got another and was just amazed that I ever went without one. They are a PITA but they sound great.

Scott:dude

6. mustangman

mustangman Member

will the tape cartridges that you can buy from musictoyz.com work?(the one for the the TTE)? and were can you buy a tape head demagnatizer? and how do you go about cleaning the tape heads and pinch roller?

sorry i'm new to this.

Thanks!

7. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I love the sound of my EP-3. I bought it from my wifes grandpa who was the original owner. It is very clean as it was never used too much. Even has the original vinyl cover. NOTHING sounds like tape. I was blown away as much by the untrue hype I had been reading about other types of delay supposedly sounding like tape, as I was by how great tape sounded. It really should be experienced by all. I would agree they are a PITA to maintain though. And it is worrisome that parts are gettiing hard to come by.

I would add a few more items to the above mentioned maintainance list. Mine has a two-prong plug that needs to be changed (mine will actually give you a little shock at times if I am touching my strings and the machine at the sametime). They are loaded with electrolytic caps that probably need to be changed. If you get a new tape like the ones from Fulltone then you will need too rebias the machine (this requires a freq generator and an oscillscope) for best results as the tape formulas have changed over the years. That and VERY regular cleaning. I have been trying to get around to all this myself and haven't yet. Also I always wanted to rig a special loop for mine. They are normally on all the time, even when the delay is off. So the tape is always spinning, pinch rollers always working etc. It would be cool to have a bypass loop that not only bypassed the signal around the unit but killed the power, so I'm not wearing out the moving parts when I'm not using the echo. Just a thought.

8. mustangman

mustangman Member

wait my EP3 is soild state, i thought biasing only had to do with tubed iteams. so can i buy the tape from musictoyz.com (the one for the TTE) or should i buy an old one from ebay when they show up?

so confused :eek:

9. sstweed

Wrong kind of biasing. An EP-3 is solid state. Biasing the heads is an adjustment to the tapehead. That is completely different than biasing tubes. Yes the Fulltone tape will work, quite well from what I hear. But your machine will probably not be biased correctly the first time you buy the tape. Once biased for that formula of tape, you don't need to do it again.

10. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Maintenance be damned - NOTHING sounds as sweet as a tape echo - tube, SS, I love 'em all!

11. mustangman

mustangman Member

oh ok, do you know how to go about biasing the heads to work with the TTE tape cartridge?

12. jmp2204

jmp2204 Member

these things can become an addiction, I'll warn you!

I have several EP-3s, mainly so that I'll have at least one up and running at any given time! they can require a lot of maintenance and TLC, but the tone is worth it. even when the delay is not engaged, the unit still imparts a nice, warm body to the signal. They go wonderfully with a Strat and a clean amp; no need for anything else but two cords. Eric Johnson used these for many years, especially in his clean rig. you'll hear it immediately.

It took two minutes with a les paul and one of my marshalls to convert a friend (who is a massive Page fan) to an EP-3, and he now gigs out with his. does the rain song fromTSRTS to a T.

re; the tapes - the Fulltones work fine but are pricey, Mike Battle also sells some Tubeplex replacements that are very nice. But, my friend opened a cartridge, figured out the looping method and now we roll our own using Ampex 426 1/4" tape. the whole 1850' reel was less than $20.
    buy some of the old cartridges off of Ebay, some tape and go to town.

90% of common echoplex noise problems can be cured with fresh tape.

I found a good tape head demagnetizer at MCM electronics. get a reprint of the Echoplex manual off the 'bay, too, and some good lubricating oil.

Best of luck!

13. sstweed

14. mustangman

mustangman Member

thanks for the link, it explains the biasing! Thanks! :BluesBros