IK Multimedia- Irig for Android!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by EZchair Picker, Jan 22, 2015.

1. EZchair Picker

EZchair Picker Member

2. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

NO EFFFIN WAY!!!!!! Nice! And my cheap phone (moto g lte) has USB-OTG so I'm in as long as the demo unit at GC/SA sounds decent!

3. dmock66

dmock66 Member

SWEEEEET!!! So glad to hear they've finally solved this Rubix Cube to make this reality!

4. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Wait guys...this is an external device isn't it?

5. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

the interface is external, the app will run on Android.

6. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I don't think so...from the site, remember iRig UA is the external device and AmliTube UA is the app on the phone.

7. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

Right, the actual signal processing is going on in the hardware interface (iRig UA) , and the app (Amplitube UA) is providing the GUI.

.....I'm not understanding your point, am I.....

from the article:

iRig UA features a first-of-its-kind built-in digital signal processor (DSP) that solves the Android platform’s issue of manufacturer fragmentation and OS latency by moving all processing to an external accessory. The key to the solution lays in iRig UA’s DSP and its built-in companion app, AmpliTube UA. The DSP inside iRig UA provides the latest generation of mobile modeling technology, which can be controlled via AmpliTube UA — this provides you with an easy-to-use graphic user interface that lets you edit your guitar rig and save or recall presets instantaneously.

A versatile system, iRig UA can also be used as a digital recording interface when connected to a Samsung Professional Audio compatible device or smartphone or tablet with Android 5.0.

8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Oh OK, you've understood. What they are calling "Amplitube" is just a GUI. All the real processing is going on in the external device/interface. They really didn't solve the Android audio latency issue. This is more like a Korg Pandora with an Android GUI than actually running amp modeling on Android. That said I applaud them for addressing a largely under served market, and being first to the game gives them a huge market advantage.

9. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

Schweet! Android diehard here.

10. slothrop

slothrop Member

iRig HD-A for certain Samsung devices with improved latency.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irighda/

Compatible with Android devices that support Samsung Professional Audio technology, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge. Samsung Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 require Android 5

11. fuzzydrive

fuzzydrive Member

Would we be able to record?!

12. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

So has any android users out there been using this?

Can you play tunes from youtube or mp3s for play along at the same time as using amplitube?

EDIT - just found this info on the irig site:

13. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

I got it. I like it as a practice system. A lot of the amps have less gain than the amps they model.

monkmiles likes this.
  14. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I might have to snag the irig HD-A since I just got a Galaxy S6 for Dad's Day.

15. monkmiles

One thing I was reading somewhere was that the Amplitube UA software is based off an older Amplitube version. I wonder why that is, you'd think they would work off the latest version. Makes me think it might not sound as good as the updated Amplitube version.

16. Gibson 1964

Gibson 1964 Member

My guess is since the processing is handled in the attached device, they might have some major hardware limitations for the $99 price point.

17. monkmiles

Yea, I guess that makes sense for the pricepoint. How do you think the Fender amps sound? I would be using either the stock Deluxe Reverb model or more likely buy the Fender Twin model.

18. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

Just my 2c, but I recently got the original iRig for my iPhone and was shocked that the metronome and previous tracks bled into whatever new track I was recording. Didn't matter whether I used Garageband, Amplitube's mediocre recording/looping option, or the other programs I have. Basically, it was impossible to record anything with the metronome, let alone more than 1 track. After trying a lot of different things and trouble-shooting on the internet (seems to be an official issue), I returned it on faulty premises.

I had my doubts about a headphone-jack interface, but I was pretty surprised something like this was released. Is it so hard to split the in/out signals, as opposed to having them bleed into each other?

Lastly, the Amplitube stock tones were pretty mediocre. So "meh" I could not justify buying any of the upgrade models. Maybe I'm missing out, but the price-point stopped making sense. Between it's awkward interface and the iPhone's other awkward apps (Garage Band), I was repelled from portable direct-recording at the moment. I'm looking at the Boss BR80 or sticking to headphones + mic'ing amps if I'm gonna record stuff on my phone. Might check out the Loopy app. Simplicity should be key.

Anyway, I'm sure this newer-gen. of iRigs is better (I hope), but I would have a hard-time justifying $100 + app fees for what I predict is a mediocre result.

19. Greatdane

Greatdane Member

The original Irig for Iphone was definately not very good and extremely noisy b

Last few years I've played and gigged with the Irig HD through an active DI direct to FOH. Using Slash' amps I got the best tone I've ever had (will upgrade to either Amplifire or Helix soon). I get compliments for my tone regulary.
    I agree that the original amps and fender pack was not that great (I also had the Irig Stomp. Way better than the original but nothing like the HD).
    The Slash amps and FX really was of better quality than their previous efforts.

20. sinner

sinner Member

My friend just got the Irig UA interface then downloaded the Amplitube UA app and is trying to get it working on his new Samsung Android phone. The app doesn't always seem to want to open, then opens but no sound yet, it's frustrating.
    Any pointers to starting out with this? I can't believe it's this difficult to get working, maybe there are bugs?

Back the next day to say he got it working. Seems sometimes the app don't open right, but when it finally did, all worked and sounded good! He also got NTracks for his new Samsung Android and it works with the IRig UA and Amplitube UA--now to test recording.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015