IKEA Furniture or Death Metal Band?

I missed one.

While the plethora of metal classifications can get silly, none or almost none of those bands would be considered death metal by anyone who pays even a little bit of attention to metal.

4inchjones

I missed one.

While the plethora of metal classifications can get silly, none or almost none of those bands would be considered death metal by anyone who pays even a little bit of attention to metal.
I think someone missed the point...

This is brilliant!

DustyRhodesJr

Silver Supporting Member
I thought this was going to be about the guy that builds whole
guitars out of a $3 piece of Ikea wood shelving. True story

seajay

I missed one.

^^^^^
Nerd.

I scored 12/20 which earned me Kvlt status.

speedemon

Lol,

pretty cool, and it is a Scandinavian company, this is not reaching!

16/20. there were a pair of 1 man bands I hadn't heard of. Ultimate obscurum.

Have fun!

Most of the bands there are black metal which is pretty different from death metal. But, I know while TGP is generally willing to have deep, philosophical discussions about the various permutations of blooze they think the exact same sort of attitude in metal is childish or stupid.

catpeople

Most of the bands there are black metal which is pretty different from death metal. But, I know while TGP is generally willing to have deep, philosophical discussions about the various permutations of blooze they think the exact same sort of attitude in metal is childish or stupid.
Maybe, but that's not the point.

Someone posted a link to a pretty funny site with a catchy name ("Ikea or Death") that tests people's ability to distinguish between an Ikea product name and a black/death/speed/extreme/etc metal band.

The "or Death" trope (and its variants) is common in English--e.g. "give me liberty or give me death", the "funny or die" site, "your money or your life", etc.

It is true that the metal bands therein are not all death metal stricto sensu. Some are black metal, some are death metal, some are experimental, etc. But the site's owner is allowed some poetic license and/or inaccuracies of this sort because the name they chose is clever, catchy, and close enough--if one grants that "death metal" is a rather large subgenre of metal, like glam, heavy, thrash and speed, it is the closest of those large subgenres to the various genres on the site (viz. black metal and related).

In addition, the cost (as measured in units of catchiness) of being accurate would have been rather high when one considers the fact they likely had to pick bands with names that sound like the Swedish or pseudo-Swedish names Ikea uses, in order to make the quiz more difficult and amusing. Disproportionately, extreme metal bands from Scandinavia and thereabouts are more of the black or symphonic variety, rather than strictly death metal; had the site's owner chosen accuracy, their site's name would have to have been "Ikea or Black" or "Ikea or Symphonic Black", which is--surely you will grant this--not as catchy and amusing as "Ikea or Death". Hence the liberty with the inside-baseball minutiae of extreme metal subgenres.

Happy now? :facepalm

mockoman

Disclaimer: Band and IKEA images come from their respective website. Gatesman+Dave claims no copyright of their images and they are used purely for satirical purposes. An editorial note: the writer of this realizes that these are not all death metal genre bands and that most metalheads love nothing more than to put things in neat little buckets. Just relax and have a laugh. Also: Legal disclaimers are pure evil, which if you listen to metal, you certainly applaud.

Maybe, but that's not the point.

Someone posted a link to a pretty funny site with a catchy name ("Ikea or Death") that tests people's ability to distinguish between an Ikea product name and a black/death/speed/extreme/etc metal band.

The "or Death" trope (and its variants) is common in English--e.g. "give me liberty or give me death", the "funny or die" site, "your money or your life", etc.

It is true that the metal bands therein are not all death metal stricto sensu. Some are black metal, some are death metal, some are experimental, etc. But the site's owner is allowed some poetic license and/or inaccuracies of this sort because the name they chose is clever, catchy, and close enough--if one grants that "death metal" is a rather large subgenre of metal, like glam, heavy, thrash and speed, it is the closest of those large subgenres to the various genres on the site (viz. black metal and related).

In addition, the cost (as measured in units of catchiness) of being accurate would have been rather high when one considers the fact they likely had to pick bands with names that sound like the Swedish or pseudo-Swedish names Ikea uses, in order to make the quiz more difficult and amusing. Disproportionately, extreme metal bands from Scandinavia and thereabouts are more of the black or symphonic variety, rather than strictly death metal; had the site's owner chosen accuracy, their site's name would have to have been "Ikea or Black" or "Ikea or Symphonic Black", which is--surely you will grant this--not as catchy and amusing as "Ikea or Death". Hence the liberty with the inside-baseball minutiae of extreme metal subgenres.

Happy now? :facepalm
Well, historically, black metal was in large part a reaction to/against death metal so it's almost like saying thrash and glam metal are basically the same thing because they can both be termed metal and have some common musical influences.

I get the point, trust me. I just think the point is as stupid and immature as what they're trying to mock. I'm of the opinion that band names are inherently stupid and placing any sort of value or importance in them is pointless because they are, after all, stupid. I don't really care if the name of bands I like seem funny or dumb to some people because that's how almost all band names are to me.

Trending Topics