I'll pay money to know where I am on the KoT waiting list...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ugly Bunny, Mar 12, 2018.

1. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

It will be. As long as you have that email, you can order yours any time. I waited almost 2 years to order mine.

Clark GriswoId likes this.
  2. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Yeah, because a smart business man avoids taking someone's money today, preferring to wait and see if they'll still give it to him two years in the future...

3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

You’ll be soon.

I was 6/6/16 and got notice 2/28

Glitchy likes this.
  4. zsno

zsno Member

Which is why you can't make a solid guess as to when your name will come up on the list, Mike lets people wait as long as they need before placing their order, so it's not a consistent stream necessarily...

I had a KoT about 10 years ago and have always missed it. Hopped back on the list Jan 2017, hopefully only a few more months!

amdowell likes this.
  5. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

Damn- I might have to pull the trigger

amdowell likes this.
  6. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

That’s an awful long time to wait for a pedal.

Jackson is about 9 months max for Custom select guitars.

I’m on the Fractal Axe FX III list...

I wonder how long the wait will be? :)

7. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

you should have charged the OP $10. ;)

hippieboy likes this.
  8. Ugly Bunny

Ugly Bunny Supporting Member

Lol nope; I don’t see everyone else’s name above me, nor those completed, nor dates, nor nothin. As one other posted above, he ordered the same month that was supposedly being filled on Feb 11th, but still hadnt got the email as of yesterday. So the date is quite useless. Like I said, I’ve got the simoleans ready to lay down for the pedal. Just waiting on the email :p:cool:

9. -Empire

-Empire Supporting Member

PoT is the same circuit on the boost and OD modes as the Kot high gain mod, with a slightly "improved" distortion mode. From https://www.buyanalogman.com/Analog_Man_Prince_of_Tone_overdrive_pedal_p/ampot.htm:

"The POT is the same as half of the King of Tone, with an external MODE switch standard. It is the same as the KOT with HIGHER GAIN option, so you can use the full range of the DRIVE knob and it has a little more drive at the top than a normal gain KOT. The DISTORTION mode is improved though, for a louder, stronger distortion sound."

From http://www.analogman.com/kotdelay.htm:

"Having the waiting list, and not growing too large when things were good, also helped keep our company strong when the economy got weak. One of our competitors got too big and laid off about 20 people when things got bad. He told the employees to file for unemployment. I had to scramble to reassign people, but nobody got laid off, and we are still in good shape, with sales pretty even in the last few years and picking up little by little. Many other "boutique" companies are selling many times more pedals than we do, by outsourcing the manufacturing and having them made at factories by machines, using surface mount parts. These pedals are not hand-made so they are very hard to repair. If the manufacturer goes out of business (many will in the next 5 years) they are probably disposable. We won't be building pedals like that, even our Prince of Tone which we are having made overseas, uses all the same parts and hand wired construction, so anyone in the world can fix it, and many different types of switches, pots, capacitors, chips, etc will work fine so our pedals can easily be kept running forever."

10. Sevenmodes

Sevenmodes Former/Future Time Bandit

It’s the same as any other pedal... it works great with some amp/guitar combos and not so well with others.

I had one from an era when the wait list was only about six months and it sounded great with my Tele and and a Hot Rod DLX. It has an almost perfect EQ for straight rock. It was totally worth the $230 (or whatever it was then) I paid for it. I sold it eventually, but that had more to do with fewer HRDLX amp-able gigs than it did with the KOT.

I’d say it’s worth $250-$300 given that it’s two great ODs (@$125 to $150 each) in one box.

meowtorhead likes this.
  11. Radar

Radar Member

Where? Serious inquiry - I'm interested in hearing his reasons.

12. rollyfoster

Numerous threads on the forum. There’s a multi-page “is the KoT worth it?” or something to that effect which really should be the only thread about the pedal at all. He discusses it in there for sure.

13. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

That's been on his website for nearly a decade.. which, by the way, is also archaic. You can only make the same excuse for so long. Then again, perhaps it's a schtick to reinforce the Analog in Analog Man. :D

Before I get crucified for the above statements: AM's tone and quality are top notch. As is their customer service. No company is perfect, and I'd rather deal with a faux-delay (with no money out of pocket or held credit card numbers) than deceit and malpractice any day of the, err- year. :aok

14. flyingmusicman

flyingmusicman Member

This thread reminded me that my number has come up and to check my old email!

15. rollyfoster

Here’s more explanation:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/kot-used-prices.1873780/page-5

hippieboy and coltonius like this.
  16. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Supporting Member

Wow!

I got on the list back when he started making them - got one, sold it.

Got back on the list again, got another one. Sold it.

Good pedal, but not for me.

I can't imagine waiting 2 years.

17. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

rollyfoster likes this.
  18. rollyfoster

Mike is one of the most straightforward guys in the business. He produces these pedals the way he wants to, is upfront about the delay, offers endless amounts of knowledge and advice to even those crapping on him, and asks for no money or commitment to get on the list.

Yet people still **** on him about it and think he’s lying.:dunno

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Cruciform, xcc, Erswell and 1 other person like this.
  19. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member Vendor

There are so many unethical companies in this business now that many people start with the assumption that we are all crooked. Really sad.

If I was doing the list to make more money, that is just stupid. I would make twice as much by selling them on ebay, or raising the price by $100.

Cruciform, xcc, MrMoose and 22 others like this.
  20. la noise

la noise Member

I say you keep a list of the serial whiners and accusation hurlers, Mike, and
    charge them $100 extra when their name comes up. :D

xcc, Bluesful, DrewwerD and 3 others like this.