i'm 19, i have a ton of dirt pedals. but i only use one.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by re-animator, Feb 22, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

what the hell's my damn problem??

Amps I have gone through in the last 6 months:

Tech 21 trademark
    Fender SRRI
    Vox AC30cc2 (this one's a keeper)

dirt boxes:

voodoo lab sparkle drive
    boss ds-1
    zvex box of rock
    fulltone soulbender
    ehx big muff pi
    mesa v-1 bottle rocket
    ehx english muff'n

i've tried out a bunch of others as well.

but now, i'm for some reason JUST using a jh-1 dunlop fuzzface reissue (bc108).... for some reason i feel like i'm losing nothing with this.

I run a clean boost after, just because i always have it one... but i'm pretty much using 1 dirt box all the time now.

almost all my gain variation (i used to be a stacker) comes from the volume knob on my guitar.

Low gain rolling stones sound (got honky tonk woman down COLD), mid gain with the zeppelin (tele bridge pickup) hendrix (middle position), and higher gain stuff a la eric johnson... I don't know what i'm really missing??

The clean boost afterwards slams the preamp of my vox a little harder so i get even more gain range.

the big muff stays on my board just because its such a unique sound... but i really only use it for special effect.

I once had a ton of dirt boxes on my board, but now i'm down to the muff, clean boost, and fuzzface. The last thing I think I might add is a keeley java boost just as a solo-boost type thing... and maybe a slightly different flavor (germanium).

so I think I need one more distortion pedal... but for some reason I have no idea what i want... something dynamic, and something with a good amount of gain is all i know. Maybe OCD?? I dunno, i just don't want to be in a situation where I don't have the distortion i need.... but i don't know what i need??

I guess i need something to contrast the fuzzface... something concentrated and gainy... almost like a mesa mark 1... but i've yet to find anything that does it. I've hard MI tube zone is a good choice, but i think its just a little too modern voiced for me.

suggestions??

p.s. - if i'm 19 now... and i'm already tired of all the dirt pedals i've gone through... what's my board gonna look like when i'm 40??

2. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Alot of guys- SRV, Hendrix, for example- only used one or two different ones their whole career.. if you like your tone, enjoy it and don't worry about "missing" anything...

3. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

If you're happy with your tones, don't complicate your line!

I have a ton of pedals, and only really use a clean boost and a fuzz. I sing, so I can't be pedal-hopping all the time.

Enjoy the simplicity!

M

4. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

5. re-animator

yeah.... i don't want to use the "d-word" (done).... but its quite possible. I have a lot of other cool pedals, but since dirt pedals used to be my fascination i guess old habits die hard.... its just weird to think that i have 2 dirt pedals and 2 delays :)

6. nitefly7

nitefly7 Member

I've got 3 dirt pedals and 3 delays, and I'm 23... so if it's just 1 pedal/each for each 4 years, you'd just end up with 5 pedals added (per type of effect), which would add up to a total of 10 pedals extra..

As long as you don't hit the 14 pedals + 2 wah's (TWO :S ?) + 2 volume pedals + expression pedal + 19" rack-fx.. with only ONE amp.. by the time you're 23, you'll be just fine..

I think I was 'done' 4 years ago, back when I actually WAS 19....

on-topic: You should really get an OCD :cool: it's the dirt pedal that has been with me the longest.. (if you don't factor in the DS-1 that I gave someone to try... still waiting for it, about 5+ years...)

Somewhere around 4 years I guess...

7. Oddos

Oddos Member

To me the seaech is all about finding tose few thing that help me get what I hear in my head. I`m not really looking for anything revolutionary, so the journey hasn`t been that long.

I tend to come back to the same stuff, so I figure I`m pretty much done.

The thing about living with the same one or two dirt pedals for several years is that you really get to know them. They kinda grow on you as well. Even the simplest OD has a ton of options and uses.

I don`t particularly aspire to be completely done. That will never happen, but I am after all a musician, not a collector, so when it all feels natural and intuitive, I think I now have a complete instrument. The rest is just refinements. Those can be done with slight mods, if you know exactly what you want.

Another thing with me and gear is that I often limit my choices just to challenge myself. I`ve sorta done any kind of gig on any kind of setup. Choosing different gear for different situations is just fun and challenging and it really goes to show how little all this matters unless something is really unresponsive or actually is displeasing to your ears. Still, I have met few setups I couldn`t make work with some knob twisting.

Like if a standard silicon fuzz is what you like and you`re happy with that I think that`s great. Then you`ve limited your search. I`d probably check out the Analogman and a few others, just to be sure, but if you`re happy and feel you`ve found your sound, I don`t see a problem.

My own setup is just 2 od`s, a chorus, vibe, volume and wah. I often just gig with the two od`s and the chorus. Been part of my setup for over 8 years now. Feels like my sound. Like part of me. Just like an accoustic that grows on you. I do vary a little with the main OD depending on the gig, but it`s mostly the same.

8. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

im 19 and i have about 15 dirt/ods/fuzz boxes. its worth having a lot of different ones. IF you like the fuzz, then maybe you should try something like a timmy, or a boss SD-1.

and yes i have about 40 pedals and still buying more.

AJ

9. CiceroTJones

CiceroTJones Member

I would say for distortion and grainy, try the Xotic BB Preamp. Compressed, saturated glory. Not too old sounding, but still very vintage.

10. bwc3000

bwc3000 Member

I love Fuzz Faces of any sort...I've got one of the red Dunlop reissues and it's the only distortion I have on my pedal board. When I'm not using the Dunlop, I switch it out with a Fulltone '70 (which is their version of a silicon Fuzz Face), which I like a little better with my Tele since the Fulltone has that really versatile mid control.
    A good Fuzz Face can give you every sound you need, like you said! It's a little musical instrument all by itself. I've also got an HBE Dos Mos clean boost, so with that and the Fuzz Face or Fulltone I'm all covered for overdrive.
    When I was 19 I had an old block logo MXR Distortion + which I found for 40 bucks at Brian's Guitars in New Haven, CT. That was my first distortion pedal and I used it for years and for tons of shows. You might like one of those, or try the OCD, which is very cool. The HBE Big D is also nice, or you could track down an old Boss DS-1. I've seen some of the Japanese models going for less than $100 on Ebay, and those sound very good.

11. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

That's not a ton...

...This is a TON..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:AOK

12. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

I feel you dude. im younger than you. and have been through more drive pedals than the number of my years spent alive.

on the other hand. ive run out of life savings. :D

a good amount of gain?

My vote goes to the MI Audio Crunchbox or MI Audio Tubezone.

13. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

My friend's theory is that if he only has two drive pedals, he'll spend more time playing and finding tones than playing with drive pedals.

He's got a FD2 and a Sunface. He gets great tone, and his record is pretty diverse. He just turns the knobs where he wants them instead of having another pedal.

14. Oddos

Oddos Member

I`d tend to agree. I have only two on my board also. I do however have a few more on hand for whenever they might be more appropriate. Those are also pedals I know very well and at some point lived on my board.

15. iwantmypie

iwantmypie Member

I use to have the same problem back in my young days. I went through so many dist/od/fuzz pedals and at one point had 7 on my board. needless to say i only have 2 on my board now and one of them happens to be the very first pedal i've ever own. you seem to be getting to that point where you've been all around town with your dirt pedals and are finally settling down, and that could be a good thing. at least it is in my situation.

16. blackjack davey

blackjack davey Senior Member

I still have quite a collection (well to me it is) of Fuzz/Dirt pedals and I find that I always go back to a NYC Muff.

And now that I've paired it up with an EQ its become "my" tone.

17. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I am where you are, except that I am older, and the fuzzface is germanium.

18. re-animator

very cool to hear all of this... I think I might add an OCD or BB preamp anyway (just for special effect, like the muff)... my main sound might just be the fuzzface... for quite a while.

19. giggedy

giggedy Member

You clearly haven't tried enough dirt pedals. You need to immediately get on as many wait lists as possible, and try no less than 3 gold horsie klons to make sure you keep the one that is perfect. If you haven't been through at least 5 CJODs, then you may want to look into that as well. Keep searching, you'll find peace of mind in the tone you began with at the end.

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Fuzzface style fuzzes are super versatile because of the way they clean up when you back off the guitar volume. Germanium more so than silicon, but the silicon does ok too.

I had my Addrock Geranium in the Emporium here but I pulled it out because I rediscovered how great it is...especially into a slightly dirty amp or into a mild overdrive pedal.

I've got a Silicon Fulltone 70 too and it's a beast. It doesn't have the 100's of shades of dirt between full volume and half volume that the Ge fuzz does, but it's still pretty cool rolling it back.

So if I'm running my amp fairly dirty, I would say a clean boost and a fuzzface are all I need. If I'm running the amp clean, I'll do the same but instead of the clean boost run a mild overdrive.