I'm 46 years old and just discovered Genesis.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Zeegler, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

Giant facepalm I know. I grew up listening to my parent's music. Jethro Tull, Zeppelin, Yes, King Crimson, The Who, Sabbath, ELP, Blondie, Nugent, Purple, Moody Blues, Floyd, etc, etc, but Genesis was strangely absent from their LP collection. IDidnt really know much about Genesis until the 80s, but was aware that they were considered one of the monsters of early prog. I guess I just never really made an effort to listen. The funny thing is, I'm a huge fan of Gabriel's solo work. In fact, my wife and I picked a Gabriel song for our wedding song.

So a couple of days ago on a whim, I watch a live Genesis show from 1973. Absolutely blown away. I can't believe I've literally wasted so many years of my stupid life NOT listening to Genesis. So if I've learned one thing, it's to stop procrastinating and saying "oh I'll check out that band later".

2. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Genesis had so many great moments and two amazing lead singers. I never saw them but I did see Peter Gabriel once or twice.

It’s funny the genesis of Genesis produced such striking new sound scapes and advancements in progressive rock and popular radio play. Very few bands have had that much change over, talent or broad success.

Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wutheting are two favorites.

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

4. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Well played....

"Don't just look at it, eat it"

yfeefy and Zeegler like this.
  5. GaryMcT

GaryMcT Gold Supporting Member

Selling England by the Pound is my favorite album from them!

6. Ldavey

Ldavey Silver Supporting Member

There is at least one Genesis tribute band I’ve seen (twice) that helps convey the experience of seeing the early days of the band IMO. Don’t want to name that band—don’t want to appear biased.

7. fitzo

fitzo Silver Supporting Member

I'm partial to Foxtrot and Trick of the Tail. Like any band with personnel changes over time, the musical direction shifts, too, as noted above. Explore the different "eras" and find your favorite. If you listen to TotT, play it LOUD. Thundering bass. IMO, one of the great, great prog rock masterpieces.

8. leftygeetar

leftygeetar Member

I like when Phil is angry in songs. I assume those tunes were inspired by divorce but the song I have on my mp3 mix is Missed Again --it has some cool parts and bass.

9. stevel

stevel Member

I'm kind of the same way - though I don't know how anyone could have lived through the 80s and 90s without being barraged by post-Gabriel era Genesis. One of the very biggest bands up there with U2 and The Police in terms of sales, airplay (+video) and stadium tours.

When Phil Collins did his solo albums, I felt they were nothing more than Genesis albums under his name (because Genesis itself had basically become Phil Collin) I was so tired of hearing them.

And when the for-some-unknown-reason (drum fill...) In the Air Tonight became this juggernaut of mythical proportions, I was REALLY tired of hearing them - especially all the material from when I started being aware of them onward. To this day I still prefer things like Lonely Man on the Corner, or Turn it On Again, to Mama and That's All (and You Can't Hurry Love....)

I too knew that there was this Gabriel connection, but didn't know much about him or them at that time.

But I believe "So" is one of the single greatest albums ever made.

And I kind of liked the under-dog battle Gabriel seemed to be fighting - and I like Games Without Frontiers and Shock the Monkey (the only Pre-So material I had heard by him).

Recently I asked here and members turned me on to some earlier Genesis with Gabriel - Selling England by the Pound immediately resonated with me (yet Lamb Lies Down on Broadway has yet to resonate in any way with me).

Kevbo599 and amstrtatnut like this.
  10. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

Not sure why that would be a problem. Is it TMB?

11. Sacrifice

Sacrifice Member

Rutherford was a monster. Thought about going back and editing my post in the fav tone thread to include him. He's got so many different voices in his work. Way underrated if you ask me.

Jimi1983 likes this.
  12. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

I just ordered Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound from Amazon. I've been listening to both quite a bit on YouTube, and I like them both a lot. I find that as with a lot of prog type stuff, it takes a few listens to start to become familiar with what's going on and really appreciate it. Initially, it's a bit overwhelming.

13. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

The lamb lies down on Broadway is definitely in my top 5 albums ever.
    You've got a lot of friggin great listening in front of you!!!!!!

14. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Good choices.

IIRC Genesis were not that popular as compared to the rest of the prog bands - especially in the US.
    ELP was big. Yes kinda. Not many people I know had those early Gabriel era Charisma Label LPs then. Remember seeing them in cut-out bins.
    Think my first Genesis albums were the Charisma "Best of" double LPs with Nursery Cryme & Foxtrot.

jomama2 likes this.
  15. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

You should definitely catch Steve Hackett on tour these days as he really does a great job on the old Genesis material as well as his own progressive catalog. I might also suggest you seek out the Musical Box Genesis tribute band which is an exact recreation of old Genesis live with Gabriel and has his blessing as well.

Jimi1983, 71strat, Jerome and 2 others like this.
  16. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Lamb Lies Down, Trick of the Tail, Wind & Wuthering, Selling England by the Pound, Foxtrot - everything up to the point Hackett left is wholly worthwhile, uniformly fantastic.

71strat, jomama2, yfeefy and 4 others like this.
  17. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

You're right about the US part of the equation but they did achieve success earlier elsewhere; Genesis originally were more successful in Italy and Holland for example. It's one of the reasons why they did that final show in Rome as an open air concert at the Circus Maximus for 500,000 people.

71strat and S. F. Sorrow like this.
  18. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Collins and Sting get a lot of flack from people in the UK IME. That surprised me when I first got to the UK in 1996 from California.

I saw 3 Sides Live tour at Reunion Arena
    Peter G on the So and Us tours, Oakland Coliseum; Plays Live tour Greek Theater. The Us tour may be the best concert I ever attended (so far). The theatrics were second to none. If you’ve never witnessed Tony Levin and Omar Hakim, you gots to dig some up...just WOW!

I love me some Genesis, my missus cannot stomach Collins. I only ever really knew Collins era. I listened to all the PG era last summer, there are some fine moments...I also loved Duke when it was released. I had already wore the grooves completely through of the incredible Wind And Wuthering by then. I love Abacab too, regardless of overplay on terrestrial radio in the 80s. 3 Sides is also fantastic. The only thing I liked from the Genesis album was Mama and Home By The Sea. Invisible Touch is a great record, you gots to give it a chance...even so, I don’t really care for it. Yeah, Collins solo was massively overplayed...ITAT is a worthy classic...Susuidio?!?! yuk! I say skip them solo rekids!

My fave PG album is Security (USA)/ PG 4 (everywhere else?). Rhythm Of The Heat is a phenomenal song.

I remember reading reviews about Genesis= pentatonic...and it is pretty much true...I guess PG got tired of that?...wondrous to listen to...can become a little unsatisfying if you wanna get more musically experimental. I suppose it comes down to Rutherford’s self taught musical method? I think Banks is a stellar keyboardist, he got some amazing sounds.

Jimi1983 likes this.
  19. MrX

MrX Member

Good for you. I always say better late than never.

20. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Yah, the Gabriel-era Genesis is an entirely different animal, although IMO Trick Of The Tail (and to a certain extent Wind & Wuthering) were sort of transitional stages.
    It's so interesting to observe the divergence between Gabriel's first three albums and the post-Gabriel Genesis albums. I saw the Trick Of The Tail tour when they had Bill Bruford playing drums; it was an unlikely and somewhat odd mix of styles but a great show. We went around to the stage door, and somebody had written BRUFORD IS GOD in the soot on the back of the tour bus. When I saw them on the next tour Genesis, were playing arenas and had settled in with touring hands Chester Thompson (a monster, saw him with Zappa) and Darryl Sturmer.

I agree about Mike Rutherford, an underrated bass player with some great tone. I love his tone on The Lamb. And he wrote the lyrics for Land Of Confusion, Follow You Follow Me, Turn It On Again, Throwing It All Away, and other hits. I've seen Steve Hackett in recent years too, and I appreciate his instrumental treatments of some old stuff. I think the last time I saw Genesis live was back in the 80s.

Foxtrot, great. Though you kind of get the impression that it's the soundtrack to a show, rather than a complete entity on its own.

Selling England By The Pound, one of my all-time favorites. A near perfect record for the time.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, certainly one of my top five concept albums. I think the reason many haven't warmed up to it is that it's long. As with much other prog rock, it can take a couple listens before it really speaks to your heart as well as your head- and with a work this big (which begs to be listened in sequence) many fall short of the three or so repeats that it takes to really resonate. I feel the same about Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans. I didn't much like it at first, but after repeated listenings it became my favorite Yes album.