1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

I'm a Carr Convert!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by musicofanatic5, Oct 11, 2006.

1. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

Just got a handsome brown tolex Rambler and love it. I was going to replace my Vibrolux Reverb with a Deluxe Reverb (intending to down-size in volume and weight), and went with the Rambler instead. I think I'm getting just about everything I like about a Deluxe, plus all I liked about my brown 1x12 Vibrolux. My biggest apprehension about the Carr was how the manufacturer and users said the amp stayed clean. I figured I'd need a pedal to dirty it up, but it's got plenty of grit with the volume set at about 2/3 rds of the way up. Mine has the Weber spkr, which seems plenty tight, especially in the low end. This just might be my "one and only" for the remainder of my playing career. Now I can sell all this old Fender crap!
    ________
    Revo

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  2. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

Musico - let's hear more - I am considering a Rambler in my quest for an amp that sounds good for west coast-style blues with rev and trem built in. I also heard the 'stays clean' report about the Rambler but the one brief time I played through one (with a Harmony H62) it sounded plenty gritty. My main concern is to find an amp that sounds full & fat a reasonably low vol with a variety of guitars - strats, teles, P90-equipped archtops, Harmony oddballs, and my 335's humbuckers.

3. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Hi Poppa and M.F.5---i have a Rambler as well---and as Poppa knows i'm into that West Coast/Old School (50's-ish) blues tone as well---I get a LOT closer to that on the Triode setting (14 watts) and stay pretty dang Clean on the Pentode (28 Watts) setting almost all the way up, w/ strats, p90, buckers---I use the 14 watt almost exclusively, for 'that' sound, and it works fine---but, it is different than a TWEED roar---different, but still quite useable in that WC context---great when you roll down your guitars rhythm tone---a lot of guys do not use the 14 watt setting, but it's plenty for a small gig, and you can crank it up pretty good, too--YMMV!

i do like the 28 watt, with a nice strat, for that Ronnie Earl/Magic Sam thing---

all in all---it's a VERY versatile little amp--and the clean IS an excellent clean, but you need to mess with the tone controls, or it can sound just a tad sterile compared to an old, broken in deluxe---but i have the Kingpin 60 speaker---that may have something to do with that---

hope this helps ya, poppa!

ac

4. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

Thanks ac, I think I'm getting a picture of the Rambler now! It sounded so great with the H62 I thought I just have to follow up on it. It must have been on the triode setting at the time - 14w would be great for a lot of the gigs I do.

The guy who had it said he'd been sent a upgraded lead to connect the amp to the speaker by Carr and that it had made a big difference - I found that surprising!

5. bluesmann

bluesmann Guest

Fender crap ! I agree 100%.Amps designed to make money:jo I went to Washington music center (Chucks) about a week ago looking for a tone king amp. but got to play a few good ones. The Carr rambler was one of them. Very nice sounding amp but found the one that i played wasn't that loud but very Fendery with plenty of bite with no icepick. Compairing to the tone king , The tone king had a tighter and bigger low end maybe thats where the bigger cab comes into play. Both the same price. Both great amps. I ended up with the tone king 40 watts and a little more low end. But that Rambler did kick ass.

6. zappafrank

zappafrank Member

Hmmmm---very interesting, Poppa---i will have to call Carr and ask about this 'upgraded lead'---mine is a 2000 or 2002, i think, so it might be worth asking about---thanks!

ac

7. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I don't own a Rambler but I've played a few. It produces one of the most seductive, buttery sounds I've ever heard. I own a Carr Slant 6V and love it but I wouldn't mind adding a Rambler to the collection. The cleans are spectacular, indeed, but turn that puppy up and you get a great, smooth breakup. OD pedals sound great through all of Steve's amps at all volumes. I prefer to drive my Slant just to the point where it's about to breakup, then send it over the edge with a clean boost (Xotic RC) or OD (Xotic AC or BB) with added gain.

I ordered my Slant early this year and received it ten weeks later. Throughout, and ever since, Steve's been very approachable and available to answer my questions and lend me his advice. He's also open to suggestions. Steve and his crew are all guitarists and enthusiasts. You can tell they love what they're doing. It shows in the incredible amps they make.

Congratulations to you on the Rambler!

8. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Hey Musico, glad to see you got your Rambler. I decided to keep mine in the end and get a step up transformer when I return to the UK, which was why I wasn't pushing for the sale!!. They are great amps, enjoy.

9. Sammy

Sammy Member

Hi Poppa Stoppa,

When you come over bring some of your guitars with you and you can spend some more time on the Rambler to try it out. Also got my new Valvetech 22 last week so we can do some comparrisons!

I will try and give you a call tonight.

Sammy

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I love the Carr Rambler...but the blonde tolex 112 models sound best. ;)

S.
    j

11. RMcFarland

RMcFarland Member

I had the same thought when I got my Rambler - Everyone was saying how it stayed clean, and I just couldn't hear that. It had plenty of fat grind on hand from the get go. Extremely touch sensitive. I eventually sold it because it really didn't cut in the mix without being miced. Great tone though.

12. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

That's what I've got. I've gigged with it on both the 14 watt and 28 watt settings - typically with the volume set just under halfway up on either setting. That way I still get mostly clean cleans, which I need. I use pedals for gain. I prefer that sound to the amp's own turned-full-up overdrive.

Lately I've had to use the 28 watt setting with the blues band to keep up with the drummer - he's been getting louder lately.

If you want to hear great tone - try the Rambler in the 28 watt setting with a Gretsch with TV Jones pickups. Really nice.

13. TNJ

Joe,
    I used to own a blonde Rambler...and have had seller's remorse ever since I unloaded her. I did a number of gigs with a piano/vocalist pal, and he also dabbles in guitar. He could never get over the tones coming out of that little beast. He always said that the Carr was the best sounding (and looking!) little amp he'd never heard of. :D

Hard to disagree, eh?

S>
    j

14. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

I first tried my ES-5 through it; very pleased with the clean tones (amp vol knob below half), crazy about the distorted tone with the amp vol at 2/3 to 3/4 and the gtr dimed. Then I unloaded my H-44 into it and was completely convinced! The bass player on the other side of the stage, with drums between us, definately took notice (he does have good ears, for a bass player!). Would like to try the 1-15" spkr version. This may be "the one" for WCB. Yes, the spkr hook-up lead is very impressive and "hi-fi" looking. Light weight and as loud as I wanna be. As soon as my "probationary" period is up here, there will be tweed amps listed in the emporium.
    ________
    Honda CB360 history

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  15. Peppy

Peppy Member

It may just be. A side note, I e-mailed Steve Carr about which Rambler had more headroom and he suggested the 2 X 12"...although I don't think too many of those have been made. I think though that the 1 X 15" would really sound good. (I've only played through the 1 X 12" and the 2 X 10"...definitely prefer the 1 X 12" vs. the 2 X 10".). Carr makes a fine product indeed, I have a 2 X 12" Hammerhead combo.

16. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Same here. I used to own this 2x12 beauty in Wine Red and still have MAJOR seller's remorse everytime I think about it! :jo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have owned the Rambler in both the 1x12 and 2x12 configurations... and the 2x12 Rambler is just a KILLER amp IMHO! I'll definitely own another 2x12 Rambler again soon! :dude

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Now that's funny --- I just finished rehearsal with my Motown band, and as I was warming up at the start, the keyboard player, who also plays guitar in another band, said "That's really nice tone!" I was just noodling on my Anderson Hollow Cobra - straight clean tone, no pedals.

On the other hand, I always had a feeling that a Tone King Meteor II sounds better than the Rambler, but I've never had a chance to try one. I heard one for a few seconds once (long story), but didn't get to play it. That's what you use, right? How do they compare (clean tones)?

18. Stephen Landry

Stephen Landry Member

I miss all of my Ramblers, but especially the first I owned - came from TNJ, and I think maybe Lou V before that. That brown tolex one sounded better than all the rest. I tried to buy it back but the owner won't let it go. I'd love to have another.

19. TNJ

Well,
    I'll answer you both.
    Joe...I do have the Meteor II, and it is a beauty of an amp! Trem and 'verb from the Gods. Cleans from Leo himself. Overdrive that is tweedy (and LOUD), but this amp loves pedals. The diff? I have a head/212 cab, so portability is a factor here. Soundwise...man, that's a tough one. Both amps perform remarkably on the gig...but the gigs were vastly different volumewise. And even with that, I've not really had much opportunity to open up the clean channel of the 40watt/212 TK MII, like I did the Rambler. At low volumes, the edge might just go to the Rambler, but dont quote me. :D
    I'd really like to do an A/B sometime with a 112 TK Meteor II combo. THAT would give you your answer...but, in the spirit of honesty, I'd not throw either of them out of bed for eating crackers. :)

Stephen...yes, that cocoa brown tolex Rambler had some MOJO...the GOODS...just the STUFF alright. I remember opening up that baby, just cranking it, for the first time in my living room with a Lentz Strat...it was a Tag/Bruno moment!! I couldnt believe Lou sold it to me. :eek: I cant believe I sold it to YOU! :D
    Then YOU moved it...what were the 3 of us thinking??????????

Oh well, no flies on our stuff at the moment anywho...
    Who owns that Cocoa Rambler anyway??? :)

S>
    j

ps- Fireball...wowza! I dig that tolex and 212 config!

20. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Yeah, I really miss that one. Don't know what I was thinking when I sold it :jo

I'm really surprised that more players aren't hip to the 2x12 Rambler. Sounds way better than the 1x12 to my ears. Just more of everything. I realize that most guys are thinking about the portability issue... but a 2x12 Rambler with it's pine cabinet is about as light as they come as far as 2x12 combos are concernerd. Plus, there is only a $100 upcharge for the Rambler in a 2x12 configuration!