I'm a pedal convert

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gasp100, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Okay, it's official - I'm a pedal guy now. I've been messing around a very little with a Bad Monkey and I like the tones you can pull out. It gets really compressed, really fast and doesn't really overdrive hard or gainy but it's okay and I can use it.
    BUT, today I just plugged in my MI Audio crunchbox and it kicks serious A**
    :dude
    I mean, I consider myself to be between amps right now. I had to sell off my Rivera Fandango (a sweet, sweet amp) because I just could not jive with the gain side (and that's half the amp, right?) with any of my guitars. I used some cash to buy a kick ass used G&L Legacy and had some scratch left over so I bought a Cube 60. The Cube's are great for what they are, definitely gigable and both the JC120 side and BF model (and maybe the tweed model) are useable. But, the gain models suck bigtime.
    So, I figured I'm tired of searching and searching for THE amp that does it all when I know all I want is pristine BF clean (maybe a little break up when hit hard), crunchy gain for rhythm that can be rolled off for breakup stuff and finally kick ass, ballsy, sustaining lead tone.
    Well, the crunchbox delivers bigtime. I can't imagine spending only a little more on this than on an off the shelf, run of the mill B*SS or something and getting such an amazing sound with my guitars. Yes, I lose some bottom end, but I can deal and work with it. And this is through a freakin Cube 60! What happens when it's dropped in front of a BF Fender or another boutique beauty??? I can't wait to find out, still on the hunt for the perfect amp. This is the best $95 I have ever spent
    (so far :dude) Thanks GregIT!

2. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Good for you...now you're in for it...watch your wallet around here, but most of all have fun... ;) :AOK

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

True, but it's cheaper to play hop scotch and leap frog with pedals than it is with amps... and lighter too :YinYang

4. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

Ah but you're getting a taste for the good stuff (doesn't have to be overly $$$ either, MI Audio makes some great sounding ones)....when you get back to a tube amp it'll be mo' betta...:cool:

5. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Not necessarily cheaper... he he...

6. gregit

gregit Member

Hmmm..I think I want it back :messedup Enjoy!

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Welcome:

Here's my little 2 cents history lesson. I'm old enough to have been there for most of it.
    Phase 1: little amps sound great cranked: tweeds
    Phase 2: loud amps sound great cranked: marshalls
    Phase 3: hmmm, let's use a fuzzface, boost or treble booster to slay this beast and get some variety going for rhythm and lead
    Phase 4: hmm...let's use OD and high gain fuzz to get hair, saturation and sustain without getting really loud. Hello MXR distortion plus.
    Phase 5: OK, let's use a master volume and crank that preamp: most amps after mid 70's.
    Phase 6: I've got it, let's use cascading preamp madness to have infinite sustain at any volume! Welcome Boogie and endless knock offs.
    Phase 7: wait a minute, I've lost touch sensitivity and the pot doesn't clean up the dirt. This is like wearing 5 condoms. Many sounds, all bad.
    Phase 7: let's get an amp that right for the rooms i play and hit it with a boost, or maybe a low gain OD like a TS. Hello SRV, blackface and tubescreamers.
    Phase 8: let's get really great sounding amps, that are right for the rooms we play (maybe introduce an attenuator or power scaling) and use great sounding pedals that work with the amp, so that there's a linear gain structure throughout, from pre to output, but use the pedal to add hair, gain, and compression to taste. Maintain touch sensitivity, articulation, and pot cleanup. Hello Zendrive, Eternity, Klon, etc.
    phase 9: there is no phase 9. Don't ask, or history is likely to repeat itself.

So, for me, a great medium size amp, maybe an attenuator, world class dirt boxes, sensitive tweaking and ears, and let's go!

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

"So, for me, a great medium size amp, maybe an attenuator, world class dirt boxes, sensitive tweaking and ears, and let's go!"
    -- I'm down. Pot cleanup is new to me, but I am digging it (with the right gear). Funny how things change over time. I still remember my uber rig centered around the ADA MP1, quadraverb, Stereo cab, yada, yada, yada... now my dream rig is a guitar with a volume knob -> a few choice pedals -> BF Fender (or Gries 5). :D

9. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Funny, a Gries 5 is the only other amp I might want.

10. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Count me in as a recent convert. I used a Boss MIJ SD-1 for a dozen years. Not a bad pedal. Capable of sounding great on occassion. But often not what I wanted.

But with my new small collection of new design boutique fuzz/OD pedals, the sounds I get now are hugely improved. All controlled with a looper that lets me cut everything out and I'm a happy pedal camper.

11. jscorno

jscorno Member

*THAT* is brilliant, my friend. I'm afraid though that Phase 9 is indeed a loop back to Phase 1!

12. Twin63

Twin63 Member

This is where I finally ended up. After several years of using a POD (usually set to BF DLX), I decided I wanted the real thing. As of today, my rig is:

G&L Legacy > Gries 5. For dirt I've settled on an Addrock Not So Ol' Yeller, Lovekraft Mojo Drive, Keeley Rat, and I'm on the list for a Lovepedal 200lbs of Tone. I couldn't be happier with the tone I'm getting from this setup.

The Gries is an excellent platform for pedals. I've tried some other OD/dist pedals and they all sounded good, I just prefer the ones I'm using now.