I'm a sucker for cheap Strat!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FloridaSam, Apr 18, 2008.

1. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

[​IMG]

I haven't had a Strat in about 7 years but this one followed me home today. 2004 Mexican Standard. I just love the color. Very resonant guitar. Pickups are ehhh. But other than that I think I could do a lot worse for less than a pedal. I've owned a lot of Strats in the past... this is the least expensive one I have owned but it plays REALLY nice. I've never owned a Mexi and this ain't bad at all.:band

2. scottlr

scottlr Member

3. Griz

Griz Member

Fender's Mexican guitars have really come a long way. I've owned two of the Mexican made Teles: a Tex-Mex and a '72 Deluxe RI. Both are great.

Strat-wise, I agree with you re: big bang for cheap(er) guitars too. I had a CS Strat once. Lovely guitar, for sure. But just somehow too smooth and pretty for me. The cheaper Strats are in some ways more representative of the original design concept, in the sense that they are well-built, not too costly, working players' instruments.

Nice score. Enjoy. :BEER

4. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Thanks! I've owned like 15 strats (MIA Strat Plus, CS 1956 Inca Gold, MIJ Custom Shop models, MIJ '68, MIA Hendrix lefty....) This one plays as good as any of them. The CS '56 was a work of art, like you said, almost too pretty to play so I sold it, it was a limited edition #25 of 25. I'm gonna have fun playing this all weekend!

5. Ayrton

Ayrton Member

It can be amazing what some good pups and a set up will do for a Mexi strat.

Congrats!

6. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

That looks great, good on ya. A friend of mine rigged up a similar strat with a stacked humbucker in the bridge - his own "Top Ten" tribute guitar. A few of you guys know what I mean.

7. Coal Man

Coal Man Member

I understand...I had a Midnight Wine with rosewood board that probably should have never left the fold. Like yours the fretboard was beautifully figured and it stayed in tune and just sounded great, had a EMG Gilmore set up in it and got played more than my USA std. and Suhr Classic. Probably why I sold it so the "better?" ones would get more playing time:NUTS Still have the Gilmore set up and now looking for another MIM to put it in unless I can find someone looking for one and keep from getting "just one more..."

8. stringgears

stringgears Member

I bought a new MIM strat about a year ago. Its the newer version with bigger frets and bigger block. I have to tell ya, they have come a long way. Its a great strat, does everything a strat should do.
    SG

9. Guitarman15

Guitarman15 Member

10. biggreen

biggreen Member

There is really no excuse not to own at least one decent playing strat. Nice score!

11. Structo

Structo Member

MIM strats, best bang for the buck.
    And I agree they have come a long way in quality since they were first offered.

12. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

My local luthier loves the MIM strats. Brand new, they go for $399 at GC. You can find them used on ebay and CL for less than $300..........and with a case. With some upgrading of the pickups and a good setup, you can have a quality guitar for a budget price.

13. 5E3

5E3 Member

Nice score Sam! I too like that color, the pickguard and prefer rosewood fingerboards too. Time for some new pickups? :D

14. sega

sega Member

I agree with you.

I'm about to get a new Strat..soon!

I got a Fender Stratocaster American Standard (Black-rosewood)
    Got my G&L S-500 wich blows away the Fender in sound---Lot more Transparent and hot.

SO i'm thinking Mexican with new pickups.But got a keep on reading since i'm not shure, don't want to waiste all that money to sell it back.
    Migh also get a used one.

15. rastus

rastus Member

I just got 2 MIM Std Strats on a trade for some steel par cans I had that I don't use-both are smoking players but need pickup swaps-they are both cool too- one is black/maple and has had Sperzels and an original Floyd installed, the other is a really cool light metallic green with maple. I have a bunch of strats, so I'll be selling these on down the road (black one is in the emporium) but I played them both a bit, and found them both to be very comfortable and nice to play. The pickups seem to be the weak spot on the MIM standard, I did have a 60's reissue that was great sounding stock. I also recently got rid of a sunburst/maple MIM std that was a great liitle player too.

I figure if you get a good used one and slap in some "discount-boutique" pickups for anywhere around 100 bucks, you have a winner.

The MIM std Tele's can be cool too-my singer just bought one at a local pawnshop for 275.00 with a gigbag-nice 3 tone burst/rw board and someone already had installed locking Fender tuners as well as a Duncan little 59 lead pickup. We are yanking the little 59 out for an old Duncan Broadcaster, and putting on a red torty guard with an old Gibson T-top for rhythm-should be a killer on the cheap! The MIM guitars are too much fun when it comes to modding and can be had cheap-I sold that sunburst one for 350, and will probably sell my green one for 400 since it's mint condition and an odd colr. I figured I'd ask 500 on my black one with the original Floyd and Sperzels, but may part it out.

They are great starter guitars too, you see lots of kids using them. The reissue ones are a cut above the standards, but cost more also.

16. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

UPDATE: I spent the beter part of the week practicing set ups on this guitar. I figured it didn't cost me very much so what the heck. I went to the Home Depot, bought a 1/64th inch ruler and a set of feeler guages. It took me a while to get it right, and I even shimmed the neck a bit but I have this thing setup better than any Fender I've ever played! Low action, no buzzing but still enough height to fight back a bit, just how I like it. I even had to take a peek under the hood and this still has its ceramic pickups. I don't hate them at all. They sound light years better than the Lace Sensors I had in my '88 Strat Plus. I've owned a lot of guitars in the $300.00 range, none played or sounded as good as this one.

17. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Would you gig with the MIM strat?

18. edward

edward Supporting Member

I am still in the midst of my Project "CheapStrat" ...a 99 MIM that I will strip and refinish in oil. I, too, have been smitten. Really surprised, in fact, as to the tone and playability of this guitar ...and I do have a lovely AmStrat that's a keeper. The MIM's stock ceramics, dare I say, actually deliver great tone: not "vintage" but punchy, warm, and thick while still truly "stratty" (though I am replacing the bridge pup as I find that one thin and nasally). Gotta share the love for these guits!!!

Oh, and yes, I would gig with it as is ...but can't wait until she's the "right" color :)

Edward

19. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Beware of stripping poly, it's a royal beeyotch! There are many players who've done it and swear they'll never tackle poly again.

Also, if the guitar is a solid color you may find one uuuugly body under the poly.

If it were mine and I hated the color, I'd either sell the guitar or sell the body and buy an unfinished body.

Good luck with the project.

20. angelo

angelo Member

yup...