I'm a whackjob (weird overdrive pedal + amp recomendation)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eru, Jan 9, 2008.

1. eru

eru Member

I know some people hate it, but I like the sound out of my Valve Junior. I think most of the people who don't like it haven't realized that it's really made just to get the marshall-esque crunch -> overdrive tone.

I admit that its cleans are completely worthless and that it's glaringly missing reverb and an EQ. A pedal will take care of one of these, sort of. But it also costs $100.

I have an attenuator (hot plate) that provides a "line level" output. So, I got the bright idea to run the line-level'd post-power-tube signal into the input of my Friend's Vox.

Yeah, it was amazing. The slight crunch -> overdrive from the VJ into a clean Vox gives this amazing chimey broken sound with a nice reverb. And due to the hot plate's attempt to keep a "line level," the sound ends up "compressed" coming out of the VJ so it still responds like a tube should, but with overdrive controllable from crunch through classic rock with less of a change in overall volume.

I like it.

It's basically a $400 distortion pedal, but we'll ignore that for the time being.

So, what would you recommend as an amp to run it into. I'd prefer something that I don't have to attenuate. Touch response and tone come above anything else. EQ would be nice, Reverb is important, trem is a bonus but certainly not essential. Don't give a damn about channel switching or overdrive/distortion sound... just (pleasingly) quacky cleans that can border on just sparkly broken sounds. And, on a student's budget...sorry.

I'm hoping that by taking some level of touch response and any kind of overdrive or really even crunch depending on your definition out of the equation that it's possible.

As a reference, I tend to like marshall cleans (plexi, bluesbreaker, jcm800, etc.) better than the fender's I've played (blues jr sucks, super reverb 112 is a bit better, most reissues are disappointing, something's just missing compared to marshalls, even reissues).

2. eru

eru Member

3. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

How many watts to you need?

If the Vox is workin', why mess with that?

My first thought if you need clean wattage was a Hiwatt for some crazy reason (since this is the thread for crazy).

EP

4. eru

eru Member

The vox isn't mine. I had a valvetronix die randomly and vox told me to screw myself. I'm not spending money on another one and I'm extremely hesitant to buy anything vox again.

I'll ignore that wattage is irrelevant to volume and just answer that based on typical guitar amps 10-30W would be fine depending on speaker efficiency and how hot you have to run it to get a good not quite broken tone.

5. eru

eru Member

Anyone know about reliability of the crate v-series... videos paint a decent picture at a good price. alternatives?

Of course, I'd probably go for the simplest bad cat with reverb if i didn't have budget restraints....

6. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Used Peavey Classic 50 212 or 410 combo: quite reliable, great clean sound, decent reverb.
    Old Traynor Guitarmate: 15w, reverb and tremelo, built like a tank, have to change the speaker.