I’m Afraid to Turn on My Fuzz Factory

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by run23, Nov 17, 2019.

1. run23

run23 Supporting Member

God, I both love and hate my Fuzz Factory. I can get some wild sounds, and then some good ol’ rocking fuzz sounds. But sometimes when I’m trying to get a standard fuzz sound it turns into a squealing monster. Yesterday at practice I had it set up for a Fuzz Face kind of sound, and when I stepped on it before the song to try it out it was giving me ear-splitting squeals until I turned up the comp and gate knobs. I’m not sure if it was the cold weather or whatever, but every time I turn this on I’m afraid that I’m going to get some screaming squeal when I’m going for just a normal fuzz sound.

I don’t want to kick it off my board because (i) it’s small, (ii) it can deliver ‘normal’ fuzz sounds that I love and (iii) I’m really into the nastiness I get from it when I want nastiness. I just wish it would behave a little more and not scare me everytime I step on it when I want it to be tame. Oh well, I guess that’s just the nature of this thing - like a beautiful, wild woman [or, not to be sexist, a man] who you take out to a fancy dinner and want to be polite for a night, and she ends up getting drunk, throwing her dinner at you and dancing on the table and singing when her favorite song comes on over the background music. But wow, she is beautiful and fun!

2. Sardocasm

Sardocasm cupcakes Supporting Member

Maybe you should swap it out for the silicon Fuzz Factory if you want more stability.

sahhas, johnetone and run23 like this.
  3. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

The world is overdue for a @chaseblissaudio & ZVex Fuzz Factory collab. Another example of a pedal that would be so much more amazing with Chase Bliss MIDI/preset implementation. It’d be cool to set up the second footswitch to oscillate... :D

Gallery, luteboy, MrMoose and 8 others like this.
  4. run23

run23 Supporting Member

Chase Bliss can take my money now. That would be amazing.

That’s where the love/hate comes in. I love the unpredictability, I just wish that when I wanted it to be predictable, I could get it to be. It’s staying on my board for now. With the fuzz on my brothers and some eq and gain stacking I can use that for my more predictable fuzz when playing live. It’s just that yesterday for some reason my settings that never squealed (like my Velcro and FF-like settings) weren’t behaving like they normally do.

5. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

6. Sloppyslim

Sloppyslim Member

testing the FOH limiters at lollapalooza ?

run23 likes this.
  7. run23

run23 Supporting Member

I love the wild side too much to do that!

8. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

I always start by running the Comp and Gate at 1:00 and then back off to taste. I’m usually using mine with the Stab at 2:00.
    If you turn the Stab all the way up (5:00), you’ll get a bit more standard Fuzz tone. If Stab is any lower than all the way up, you’ll get squealing until the Gate and Comp come up to noon/one o’clock.

vlammie, Ezzy911, run23 and 4 others like this.
  9. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

Maybe get some Grolsch rubber rings so the knobs don't move so easily.

run23 likes this.
  10. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

I thought they all were silicon?

run23 likes this.
  11. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

Don’t rub the lamp if you don’t want the genie to come out.

12. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

No, they're germanium, the new variant, is the silicon version.

sahhas and run23 like this.
  13. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

Perfect. :rotflmao

Flatscan likes this.
  14. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

Perfect excuse to buy another fuzz pedal.

stanshall, sahhas, run23 and 2 others like this.
  15. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Supporting Member

You’d think I’d learn to not drink coffee when reading a post.

:spit

Flatscan and run23 like this.
  16. babbyb

babbyb Member

It's the wrong pedal if that's what you want.

You mentioned the cold weather earlier. The FF is *extremely* temperature sensitive. It doesn't take a whole lot of temperature change to change your settings, and cold especially will throw everything out of whack. On the plus side, you can also get cool sounds by putting it in the fridge/oven.

17. run23

run23 Supporting Member

It must have been the cold (it was in a trunk for 40 minutes in cold weather before practice). I used it today and it behaved like it normally does.

I do like the unpredictable nature of the pedal, but normally I know what settings are 'safe' - generally keep the stab knob up high and turn down the drive some if the compression and gate are the way down. And then my velcro fuzz setting also behaves. Yesterday everything was squealing unless I had the comp and gate up really high. Today it's back to normal.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  18. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

I tell my wife that all the time.

19. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

All FF are different, my 1st clone FF I had, a few yrs ago, if I had everything at 0, and just had the volume up it was a nice usable fat sounding fuzz, but my current FF clone is a bit more unpredictable , but I love it

20. Sexpistol

Sexpistol Member

Trotter likes this.