• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I’m Afraid to Turn on My Fuzz Factory

run23

God, I both love and hate my Fuzz Factory. I can get some wild sounds, and then some good ol’ rocking fuzz sounds. But sometimes when I’m trying to get a standard fuzz sound it turns into a squealing monster. Yesterday at practice I had it set up for a Fuzz Face kind of sound, and when I stepped on it before the song to try it out it was giving me ear-splitting squeals until I turned up the comp and gate knobs. I’m not sure if it was the cold weather or whatever, but every time I turn this on I’m afraid that I’m going to get some screaming squeal when I’m going for just a normal fuzz sound.

I don’t want to kick it off my board because (i) it’s small, (ii) it can deliver ‘normal’ fuzz sounds that I love and (iii) I’m really into the nastiness I get from it when I want nastiness. I just wish it would behave a little more and not scare me everytime I step on it when I want it to be tame. Oh well, I guess that’s just the nature of this thing - like a beautiful, wild woman [or, not to be sexist, a man] who you take out to a fancy dinner and want to be polite for a night, and she ends up getting drunk, throwing her dinner at you and dancing on the table and singing when her favorite song comes on over the background music. But wow, she is beautiful and fun!

run23

The world is overdue for a @chaseblissaudio & ZVex Fuzz Factory collab. Another example of a pedal that would be so much more amazing with Chase Bliss MIDI/preset implementation. It’d be cool to set up the second footswitch to oscillate... :D
Chase Bliss can take my money now. That would be amazing.

Maybe you should swap it out for the silicon Fuzz Factory if you want more stability.
That’s where the love/hate comes in. I love the unpredictability, I just wish that when I wanted it to be predictable, I could get it to be. It’s staying on my board for now. With the fuzz on my brothers and some eq and gain stacking I can use that for my more predictable fuzz when playing live. It’s just that yesterday for some reason my settings that never squealed (like my Velcro and FF-like settings) weren’t behaving like they normally do.

Fuzzr

I always start by running the Comp and Gate at 1:00 and then back off to taste. I’m usually using mine with the Stab at 2:00.
If you turn the Stab all the way up (5:00), you’ll get a bit more standard Fuzz tone. If Stab is any lower than all the way up, you’ll get squealing until the Gate and Comp come up to noon/one o’clock.

babbyb

Silver Supporting Member
I love the unpredictability, I just wish that when I wanted it to be predictable, I could get it to be.
It's the wrong pedal if that's what you want.

It’s just that yesterday for some reason my settings that never squealed (like my Velcro and FF-like settings) weren’t behaving like they normally do.
You mentioned the cold weather earlier. The FF is *extremely* temperature sensitive. It doesn't take a whole lot of temperature change to change your settings, and cold especially will throw everything out of whack. On the plus side, you can also get cool sounds by putting it in the fridge/oven.

run23

It's the wrong pedal if that's what you want.

You mentioned the cold weather earlier. The FF is *extremely* temperature sensitive. It doesn't take a whole lot of temperature change to change your settings, and cold especially will throw everything out of whack. On the plus side, you can also get cool sounds by putting it in the fridge/oven.
It must have been the cold (it was in a trunk for 40 minutes in cold weather before practice). I used it today and it behaved like it normally does.

I do like the unpredictable nature of the pedal, but normally I know what settings are 'safe' - generally keep the stab knob up high and turn down the drive some if the compression and gate are the way down. And then my velcro fuzz setting also behaves. Yesterday everything was squealing unless I had the comp and gate up really high. Today it's back to normal.

Last edited:

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
All FF are different, my 1st clone FF I had, a few yrs ago, if I had everything at 0, and just had the volume up it was a nice usable fat sounding fuzz, but my current FF clone is a bit more unpredictable , but I love it

Trending Topics