I'm An Expert!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by JRDill, Dec 22, 2009.

1. JRDill

JRDill Member

Just took my "expert" exam for work and passed with a 92. It's a 100 question exam with some crazy and random crap on it. I was a little confused on a couple questions I got wrong though, and maybe you guys could bring me some clarity? Seeing as you're the main reason I know too much about guitars!

missed questions that made me scratch my head:

First year of Silverface amps: I put 1968 as that was the first for tube amps. I wanted to put '66 as that was when the first solid states were introduced and had silverfaces, but that wasn't an option.

First Year of Blackfaces: I thought 1963 but it wasn't an option so I put '65 as it was the closest?

Fender switch from 4 bolt neck to three: 1971 right?

Year Gibson reintroduced the singlecut: 1969? I just didn't know this one haha.

Anyways, I feel pretty darn good that I knew as much as I did! Thanks for all the info guys!

2. kush06

kush06 Member

Where do you work that you took a test like this? Guitar Center? Pretty cool! I think '67 was the first year for Silverfaces, '64 the first for Blackfaces.

3. shane88

shane88 Member

post the exam OP + all you need to get a job @ guitar center is 2 spill ur nom rite

4. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Which location, 442 or 443?

The answers displayed show just how flawed GC's knowledge of vintage amps and guitars truly is. The first year of blackfaces - there should have been an option for 1964. As with the first year for silverfaces is actually '67 not '68.

I mean well by saying this...just because you passed a GC exam, doesn't necessarily qualify you as an expert. You may be somewhat knowledgeable in your dept, but nobody that works at GC in Houston is an expert. That gave me a chuckle. I used to work at 442. They don't care if you know your **** or not, as long as you can sell guitars. However, it is good to know what your talking about when pitching a sale.

5. ford

ford Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't forget about the mighty 445.

6. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget about superior customer service - being an expert is nothing without it...