I’m being Pleked

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clarkram, Oct 8, 2019.

1. clarkram

clarkram Member

So about 2 months ago I purchased a new Boucher OM Hybrid/cutaway from Righteous Guitars in Roswell Ga, part of the sale includes a comp Plek service on any guitar over 2k.

So I took the Boucher in for the comp Plek and also took a Collings I35 LC that I have gigged a lot over the last 5 years. I’m paying for that one , about $235.

Anyway, I was curious enough to take the plunge. I’ll let you know what the results were, though I’m hardly someone to take advice from.

stratohiker, Gig Young and thebeebs like this.
  2. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

3. Jett

Jett Silver Supporting Member

I was over there about a week ago, Ben is such a great guy and such an awesome store. I was talking to him about their Plek unit and have been thinking about giving it a try. I had a Plek guitar many years ago when they first came out, and it was not really any better than what a good luthier could do in my opinion. Based on my understanding, it really is just as much about the person working the machine as the machine itself. If you are happy with the results I think I might give it another go. Good luck...

4. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

I good luthier can do it just as well or better. Time and cost for the convenience is what you are after. You hit it right on the head too like most machines , the better the operator the better the results.

5. Timtam

Timtam Member

Some Plek shops will do just the scan for you for a much smaller fee. So it's a like a diagnostic test to see if you really need full Plek 'surgery' (with the scan cost potentially deducted if you go ahead).

Gig Young likes this.
  6. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I wouldn't let them do that to any of my guitars. If a guitar is made right I don't think a plek would be necessary.

7. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

So a free service which would improve the playability of said guitar (Which, mind you, every guitar WILL move after leaving the factory/builder's shop), you would reject it based on utopic thinking?

Go Cat Go!! likes this.
  8. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

It's less to do with how a guitar is made, more to do about how a guitar is setup to your preference with a computerized fret level with incredible accuracy.

9. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

@clarkram Is $235 their cost for a standard Plek job? I'm currently building a Warmoth Partscaster and am thinking of taking it to Righteous Guitars to get Plek'd.

10. clarkram

clarkram Member

My invoice says $225, includes fret dress, level and crown, slot nut as needed, set up, strings not included.

These guys seem to know how to use the Plek, I’m not worried about the job. Should have them back tomorrow.

stratohiker and Prince like this.
  11. stratohiker

stratohiker Supporting Member

Thought I'd revive this thread. I just drove my cheap Tele (60s Baja with an aftermarket Fender 22 fret/jumbo fret neck on it) down to their shop yesterday (Righteous Guitars)
    Mine plays ok, but has issues with some fret(s) around the 17th.....And since I changed the neck out......figured it needs a good setup. And I've been putting that off for far to long.
    About a 2.5 hour drive one way. But, wadda ya gonna do.....nearest Plek in NC is further away than that.
    Seemed like nice folks. Guy I dealt with (Alex, I think) was helpful and spent some time asking about my rig, what kind of gigging I was doin', etc.
    It is very overwhelming, when you walk in the place. A stupefying number of guitars on display. Most, way outta what I'll ever be able to spend on a guitar.
    The type of vehicles that were pulling in at opening time....defin. made my 06 Tacoma look stupid. So, I'm fer sure not their "target customer" :)
    You defin. hear the proverbial "heaven sound" when you walk in :D (they oughta rig up something that plays that sound when you walk in their door)
    BTW, my invoice was 225 (minus the 35 I paid online to set the appt).
    Alex looked very closely at my humble Tele (exp. in the context of their inventory ;-) took pix from some angles of it, and made notes.
    I also brought a set of my strings with, to save a few bucks there.....
    Since, I paid in advance for the appt.......was told it'd be 2 to 3 biz days when the work would be complete.
    Of course, I did ask about the work getting done that day...but, as I expected, no dice (in order to save the second trip)
    So, hopefully, I'll be able to PU this coming Saturday and use it at the next series of gigs.....(as the gigs don't start with the bands I'm playing with until later this month) ;)
    It'll be a joy to finally play that Tele at a gig, and not have to worry about fretting out on bends....and being able to have the action more to my liking.
    Curious to know how you came out with your job @clarkram on the work on your axe.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  12. clarkram

clarkram Member

I hope the finished job is a good one . Let us know how it turned out.
    I’ve been very happy with how the I35 LC turned out.

I have a Ron Thorn Artisan Hollowbody I’m going to schedule in a couple of months.

stratohiker likes this.
  13. stratohiker

stratohiker Supporting Member

Picked mine up earlier today. I'm pretty satisfied with the work.
    Played it for about 30 minutes total, thru a Vintage Sound Tweed Deluxe amp in one of their semi-isolated rooms.
    Then, had them tweak the action a bit more while there. Pretty much perfect for me now.
    Plays good up and down the board now. No fret outs on the bends. And, no crazy buzzing when playing double/triple stops and chords up high now.
    Anxious to play the upcoming weekends gigs now, and really put it thru the ringer.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    jvin248 likes this.