I'm building a warmoth, but don't know what this hole is for...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paz.de.mente, Jun 12, 2008.

1. paz.de.mente

paz.de.mente Member

I got my first two parts in from warmoth the other day, a body and a neck, but when i looked at it, there is a hole in the neck coming from the neck pickup into the neck pocket. What is it there for? grounding of some dort?

Sorry, this is the first guitar I have tried to work on, let alone build.

Thanks

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

Does that same hole continue from the neck pickup rout to the bridge pickup rout? See where I am going with this?

3. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

Perhaps it is allow easier access to allow for truss rod adjustments for necks with the adjustment at the heel? You would have to unscrew and lift up the pickguard assembly, but not remove the neck entirely.

Is this a Tele?

4. rooster

rooster Member

Exactly -- it is for the dort ground. No, seriously, the hole connecting the pickup routes together is run with that hole; I'm assuming you have a top loaded pickup/ back loaded control with no pickguard model. The ones with pickguards usually just route a slot between the pickup routes.

rooster.

5. Tinman

Tinman Member

I finna ground me some dort!

6. baimun

baimun Member

If it wasn't clearly stated above, when they drill the hole for the wire going from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup, they use a long drill bit and go at it from the neck pocket area.

7. mike80

mike80 Member

8. chucke99

chucke99 Member

Dort! I love it. From Wikipedia:

"Dort Motor Car traced its history back to its founding as the Flint Road Cart Company in 1884 by William Crapo Durant and Josiah Dallas Dort..."

William CRAPO Durant!

I guess naming your auto a Dort is better than naming it a Crapo.

9. rooster

rooster Member

"Dort" is also German for "there", as in "over there." It could also be short for Dortmunder Union, a German beer. Or, it could be an acronym for "drilling out routing tunnel". Or, Pickard could be ordering Number One to run a sensor scan on the Dort ship.

The possibilities of Dort are vitually endless. Band name, anyone? I believe this needs to escalate into a hostile discussion.

rooster.

10. K-man

K-man Member

There shouldn't be any holes between the neck pocket and the pickup routes. What type of guitar is it? Can you post a pic?

11. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I think Dort is a cool name for a guitar brand. Very boutique, very mysterious. The next time someone asks you what you think of Surh guitars, just tell them, "Well, they're good, but I prefer Dort."

12. Peanut

Peanut Member

I'm in the middle of a build in which I created one of these holes. To drill the hole needed from the neck pickup cavitiy to the control route I used a really long drill bit and drilled through the bottom edge of the neck pocket into the neck pickup pocket then continued through the neck pickup pocket into the control route. I did it this way because I couldn't get a decent angle coming at it from the top of the pickup pocket...

It's a common practice for guitars without pickguards...

13. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Yup. When I built my first guitar back in '71, I actually had a tool-and-die guy make me a 12", 3/16" drill bit, just for this purpose...!

14. Tinman

Tinman Member

That's what is commonly called a dort or daurt bit.

15. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

There's is a Dort Highway and a Crapo Street here in Flint.. Pronounced Cray- po..

Jeff

16. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

:roll:roll

17. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

So how exactly would you drill through from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup on a no pickgarde guitar?

18. paz.de.mente

paz.de.mente Member

oops. i guess i meant sort.

Thanks everyone for your help.

19. Mikey Likes It

Mikey Likes It Silver Supporting Member

No problem - I think everyone really likes Dort.

I have done about 20 guitars from mostly Warmoth and USACG parts and that is how they drill the wiring channel from the neck to bridge pickup routs on bodies that are designed to be without pickguards, as well as some that are going to have pickguards. Here, for example, are two tele bodies, one USACG routed for Filtertrons and one Warmoth with a traditional rout. Both will have pick guards, and if you look closely you will see the hole going from the neck pickup cavity to the neck pocket in each.

[​IMG]