I'm buying a new bass...EB MM or ???

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Wolv54, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Wolv54

Wolv54 Member

I am a huge fan of the 4 string stingray and I am on the cusp of buying a new bass, but before I just dial up another MM, I wanted to solicit the board and get some opinions on other basses I might be overlooking in the same price range. I have owned jazz basses in the past, but I am not so sure that you're getting your money's worth these days with Fender. I had a bad experience with a Skyline, so I would be cautious about going that route again without playing the bass first.

All in all, I know I would be happy with the Stingray and it has all the tones I ever need.

2. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

Do you currently own a Stingray already? I know you said the SR has all the tone you's ever need, but would you like to have some variety as well?

Having a SR along with a P and a J bass, you'd be able to get just about any recorded tone ever. You could also look into the HS and HH models for extra tones if you'd were interested.

I've owned a few SR's and I think they're great.

3. Thor

Thor Member

Take a look at G&L as well. Good bang for the buck and have some models that cop the Stingray sound quite well. I only have experience with their made in USA line, but I have been impressed by every one I've played. I like MM's too!

Happy Hunting,

Edward

4. trwigg

trwigg Member

Don Grosh J4 or J5, great craftsmanship and a guy who will stand behind his work. Great feel and tone. Can't go wrong.

5. Wolv54

Wolv54 Member

I bought new Stingray 4 today from a local store. I got the bass with the OHSC all for less than a $1000 brand new. Apparently, the natural color is less expensive and less sought after than some other finishes, but I am not really concerned about the looks as long as I got a good deal on the bass. I think I did.

6. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

My fretless SR4 was a natural finish...I loved it! That's a great price too. Congrats!

7. DanGouge

DanGouge Member

Have you tried a Sterling? Similar vibe, super-fast neck, series/parallel/single options.