I'm Committing to Only Buying Used Gear

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Magnets And Melodies, Aug 18, 2019.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

You really don't know that a specific political party believes the Earth is about to implode from man-made environmental issues and another specific political party doesn't?

milli vanilli likes this.
  2. 65inside

65inside Member

WTF?!?
    What I said it's everywhere in the news and I can't talk about it because someone with political responsibility refuses to acknowledge it?!?

3. scott58

scott58 Member

All I know is a grand used is way better then a grand new.

4. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Ha ha... You are 100% doing exactly what I said - refusing to understand that people have different opinions.

Of course you can choose to talk about political crap on a guitar message board if you want, just like I can say how annoying it is to do that.

You're a little sensitive, aren't ya? You'll fit right in here. <rollseyes>

Good day, sir.

5. SAVEStheDAY

SAVEStheDAY Member

Sweet, a Vikings fan who doesn't understand sarcasm! So sorry for trying to bring some levity. I won't let it happen again. BTW I'm being mostly insincere (I wanted to make this one easier for you to understand).

For real though, if a Gibson headstock breaks in a forest, and nobody is there to hear it, did it really cause global warming?

6. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

If you got custom shop LP's then I'm interested.

Tone_Terrific likes this.
  7. Magnets And Melodies

I don't see anything political about it yet. People debating sciences isn't political. People debating political candidates and parties / policies is political.

Either way, yes I get your point. You always have to expect the worst when you post on TGP. That shouldn't stop us from posting at all though.

sundog964, 65inside and Vintage_ like this.
  8. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

It seems so hopeless though. I’m not sure any changes could be made that would even remotely offset the detrimental impact the exploding population has. Honestly, the single best thing you can do for the future is to not procreate.

Seriously. You can live life as frugally and conservatively as possible but if you have two kids and they each have two kids and they each have two kids, you’ve made much more of a negative impact on the environment than someone who was lived wastefully but didn’t have any kids. It’s bleak. I know.

9. Magnets And Melodies

If two people have one kid, and everybody did that, than over time our population would naturally reduce. (Not suggesting this should be something everybody does, just highlighting that there is another way VS having no kids.)

Yes, "no kid" is getting there quicker, but having children is a big part of the human experience (one that wether or not you want to have one yourself, is a hugely fundamental part of being human.) Everybody is impacted by it. You would not be here if your parents didn't want to participate in that experience.

I side with keeping our humanity in mind while we deal with these massive challenges we're facing.

Sad to say but the reality of the situation is our population will most likely be corrected through mass die offs related to starvation and water scarcity + heat waves.

eigentone and AustinIsPresent like this.
  10. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

It is a bit of a self-correcting problem.

11. ragnar

ragnar Member

That's a much better reason than I expected - like just because you want to save money - so I appreciate that. Good luck! One person may not be able to do everything, but you can make your own impact and inspire others. :)

GAS is something we all have, even for things having nothing to do with guitars - the new thing always seems so shiny, so exciting. What helps me is to enjoy the window shopping for what it is - just admiring something that's shiny - while reminding myself that I don't really need it. When it ramps up, I just pick up my guitar and play it, and enjoying my existing guitars makes me forget about wanting new ones.

Unless we all take good care of our equipment and buy from each other, in a glorious used gear cycle. ;)

12. thebluesman666

thebluesman666 Member

I can really relate and share my thoughts about this thread!!!

For the last few years I've committed to only buy used gear! I’ve had my share of painful experiences with reselling brand new gear, it seems that with the new gear you always lose cash wise.

To me people who believe they will keep things for all their lives are just lying to themselves or they’re not active gigging musicians. Don’t get me wrong, there nothing wrong with hobbits player’s, music is a wonderful art and it’s accessible to anyone.

The prices of new music gear have skyrocketed in the last years. The best example would be a set of guitar strings, it doubled over the last 10 years.

The value of brand new gear just seems to decline and the used market is very aggressive. People just don’t want to invest the money and are chasing after life changing deals.

Being affected with GAS has been probably the worst thing ever. I did manage to calm down and settle on using my existing gear to the best of it extends. If a piece of gear is not getting used it has to go.

Nowadays everything I buy has been thought out for, the use of that gear needs to be justified otherwise there’s no reason to invest. Making money out of a musical career is extremely hard and I truly believe that issue was around way before I started playing guitar.

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  13. standard24

standard24 Member

So, bottom line, you're determined to fight GAS. We're here for you buddy!

14. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Just a question about this statement. Do you believe that the strings today are the same technology and quality as the strings 10 years ago? Or are they better now?

I really don't know, as I'm not in that industry, and I really don't buy enough to notice.

I do know that in engineering things have gone up mainly because of the increased quality and capabilities.

I could get a part machined 20 years ago, it would take a week, and be fairly cheap. Now I can get a part machined the next day, and it is much more expensive. But I never have to leave my office. Send the drawing electronically, and they generate the part and deliver it. So the added cost is speed, and quality.

15. SPSurgeon

SPSurgeon Member

I prefer used gear, often high end guitars that need repair/setup. Don’t mind playwear. That said I think the issue we need to address as a society is clearly our addiction to burning large amounts of fuel *when we don’t need to*. For most people commutes would be easier, better for the planet and cheaper if they used green tech. So electric vehicles using solar/wind generated electricity. Use conventional fossil fuels for areas where electric doesn’t work, like vintage cars, racing, long trips. Those niche uses are not going to contribute to global warming in a meaningful way. And in the cities, convenient, pleasant mass transit - trains. Shipping goods and air travel, hydrogen fuel created using green electricity generated during off-peak times (surplus electricity).
    Here’s the big one - stop shipping goods long distances in container ships that burn 225 TONS of bunker-c per DAY. Manufacture goods in the country where they are sold - employing people not robots.

16. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

I was waiting for this thread to implode. Took longer than I thought. :munch

17. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Member

I havent read through the 10 pages so maybe it was covered, but OP (@Magnets And Melodies ) what are you actually doing to address the real problem? Proclaiming on the internet that you are going to brute force self control on your GAS is not actually doing anything to address the problem....you are simply using self control to curtail the symptoms...or maybe not even, maybe just posting as a way to reinforce that self control...like the proclamation of starting a diet?

I ask, because, I recently gave up booze (aka the craft beer hobby) and have been redirecting my energy and passion back into music and the money saved on beer into gear.

My friends who are still drinking the day away recognize the shift of focus not a solution to the core problem. All the other people in my life are super supportive of gear over booze...and while I can justify my behavior all day long, I know that browsing classifieds for gear means Ive still got work to do.

Self control doesn't solve the mental health problem, it just curbs the spending. I'd argue that by repressing the spending, you are probably getting your "fix" elsewhere in life?

18. deve52

deve52 Member

I hear you! My life story reads quite similar to yours. Though I have been reading books that "speak to me", virtually all my life despite the destructive familial environment I was brought up in. I reject the nuclear family ideology altogether. MUSIC is mine!
    Anyhow, back to yourself- I can detect that you're feeling more purpose and progress in your life. This can only be a good thing, because, in the end, it all comes down to you.
    STAY STRONG AND CONNECTED ALWAYS!

19. Magnets And Melodies

Hey, thanks for commenting and diving into the mental health part of what I was mostly posting about. No need to read all 10 pages - most of it is back and forth on climate change stuff.

First of all, congrats on kicking the booze. I'm coming up on 3 years sober myself, and life has changed so much since I stopped. All for the better, but definitely some ups and downs along the way. If you ever want to just chat about it with someone, PM me anytime!

When you asked what I was doing at the beginning of your reply. You kind of hit it on the head when you said "maybe just posting as a way to reinforce the self-control... like the proclamation of starting a diet?". I think that does justify this posts purpose in a nutshell.

Regarding the rest of what you had to say, that is all too familiar to me. In summary, it really all started with childhood abuse that led to homelessness, that led to alcoholism and manifested itself in other addictions in my life (spending, eating, etc). I quit alcohol 6 months before my daughter was born. That year, the addictiction manifested itself in other ways, mostly spending. Becoming a new dad threw me for a loop for sure, but that has always been my biggest driver to address my problems. My daughter means the world to me and I am hyper-aware of the ways that parents can influence children.

You're bang on in your assessment that if you don't address the actual problem, the addictions will continue to just manifest themselves in other ways. For me, it wasn't untill I started participating in trauma therapy that it really started to come into focus. That was about 6 months ago. I've learnt a lot about trauma, a ton about the brain and how it works, and so much about what we can do about it. The last couple of months have been very very positive. Though I wrote this post recently, my purchases have been pretty mild/very spaced out within the last year (1 guitar in the last year VS 7 the year before that etc). As I speak, me and my wife are in the process of pairing down our belongings. We're focusing on living much simpler lives, spending our time really focusing on being present and cultivating quality experiences with our family VS anything else.

In addition to mental health, the trauma and alcoholism had made negative impacts on my physical health. I developed periodic atrial fibrillation that starting becoming more frequent and more symptomatic. Landed in the hospital during a particularly bad bout of it, and that had me take a look at optimizing my physical health (something I've largely ignored untill then). After quitting alcohol and caffeine and focusing on better sleep, it's now been over a year since I've had an episode (used to happen a few times a month). I wasn't out of the gate yet though - I also did damage to my esophagus and formulated a bad hernia and schatzki ring that would give me dysphagia from time to time. Gone unchecked that could get really serious really fast, so I've addressed that with change of diet and weight loss. Now I'm symptom free.

I just turned 35 this year. A healthy person my age shouldn't be dealing with Atrial Fibrillation.

It's all been a journey. In the last 3 years I've managed to quit alcohol, coffee, and most recently junk food, all while drastically altering my lifestyle (becoming a dad, living more simply). The last 6 months have been the most positive since attending trauma therapy, where many things have really been revealed to me and clarified.

Why did I post this here on TGP?

Because I've been a part of this community for the last 4 years, and I believe that struggling in silence doesn't do anybody any good. Forums and communities are there to be utilized. What good would being a part of a community be if we couldn't share our stories? Speaking out about things is a very healing activity.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  20. Old Possum

Old Possum Member