• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I'm contemplating buying a Mesa Roadster, blind. Would you? Love/Hate time ...

MartinLove

Just curious what the latest TGP opinions are of this amp. Why order blind? I don't have a Mesa dealer near me, and I am tempted by the amp's versatility. Four channels, duh! Sounds good to me!

ifailedshapes

Silver Supporting Member
This is truly a question better asked on The Boogie Board, IMHO. If you do a search there, you'll dig up more than a few threads about this very topic.

Anyhoo...

The Roadster is voiced darker than the Dual Recs. If you like the Recto tone, but want it a little more... refined... then you'd probably love the Roadster. Also, the foot switch is HUGE!

TheThickness

I see you are in Massachusetts. Make the drive to matts music in Weymouth or Ray mullin music in Swansea. Both are mesa dealers. Of course call to see if they have it in stock first.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
Hated the amp, couldn't get rid of it quick enough...

Much prefer a Tremoverb...

RA100 is a much nicer amp IMO...

tele_jas

Just the opposite.. I've owned about 8 different Boogies and the Roadster was my favorite. Slightly different voiced orange and red channels, but you couldn't tell unless you had it side by side to a dual recto .. And the cleans are about the best cleans on any Boogie to date (IMO).

That's the only Boogie that still tempts me ALL THE TIME.

LPBlues

I'm not in either camp, I had the combo for a couple of years and loved the first 3 channels but eventually I found I didn't like the overdrive sound. You know, you listen to something intently for that long, eventually you'll find a fault. I think it's why my father-in-law married a Thai woman for his third or fourth (I can't remember), the communication is difficult which makes the relationship easier :).

The combo was unbelievably heavy. Build quality and apparent durability was excellent. If you like the sound then it's hard to go wrong, unless you want the extra tube options that come with the Road King...

jpage

There are a ton of used Roadsters out there--look for a good example and throw a $1250 offer at it. No risk at all--if you hate it, dump it.

jpage

I'm not in either camp, I had the combo for a couple of years and loved the first 3 channels but eventually I found I didn't like the overdrive sound. You know, you listen to something intently for that long, eventually you'll find a fault. I think it's why my father-in-law married a Thai woman for his third or fourth (I can't remember), the communication is difficult which makes the relationship easier :).

The combo was unbelievably heavy. Build quality and apparent durability was excellent. If you like the sound then it's hard to go wrong, unless you want the extra tube options that come with the Road King...
Damn--a Roadster combo. Can you say, "boat anchor"????:omg

Abandoned

Tweed Tube Tone Purist
The hard rock and metal sounds are awesome. If you think your really gonna get good tweed and Brit tones out of those modes, or good cleans for that matter... no you won't. The other modes are a joke. It's basically just a better more versatile rectifier.

I owned and gigged one for 2 years.

mattsmusic

Silver Supporting Member
I see you are in Massachusetts. Make the drive to matts music in Weymouth or Ray mullin music in Swansea. Both are mesa dealers. Of course call to see if they have it in stock first.
Thanks for the rec! And he's right, the amp is in stock if you want to at least hear it first to help you decide :phones

- Jay

Matt's Music Center
1597 Main Street
Weymouth MA 02190 USA
781-335-0700
www.mattsmusic.com
facebook.com/mattsmusiccenter
-----------------------------------------------
6 months 0% Financing Available
Dr Z, Bad Cat, ESP, Jackson & Charvel
PRS, Grosh, Suhr and Tom Anderson Guitars
Splawn, Bogner, Diezel, Mesa Boogie, Two Rock
3 Time Winner of NAMM's "Top 100 Dealer Award"
Swart, Morgan, Friedman, Fuchs, Strymon & More!
Boston's LARGEST Boutique Gear shop!

Drop D Cups

Silver Supporting Member
I own one and like it a lot. Tends to be a little darker than other amps I have played but easy to eq to get the tones you want.

With four channels and dozens of knobs and switches, there are several sounds there for you.

I really like the amp with EL-34s in it. Sounds like a Marshall on steroids.

mikebat

I own one and like it a lot. Tends to be a little darker than other amps I have played but easy to eq to get the tones you want.

With four channels and dozens of knobs and switches, there are several sounds there for you.

I really like the amp with EL-34s in it. Sounds like a Marshall on steroids.
Your post got me wondering.... it comes stock with 6L6s, you re-loaded it with EL34s? Good results?

Mine is loaded with 6L6's. I like the clean sounds, but the dirty stuff...has me longing for a Marshall flavor. While it is dark (which I am ok with), it has this crinkly hi end that just does not jive to that sound I hear in my head....

I am constantly obsessing over how I can change that, or how I can trade it in and get something else...but what?

And yes, the footswitch is HUGE...it eats up a lot of space on a board or onstage.

forum_crawler

I would go for it.

I have a roadster and I did test it against several other amps int he same price range and some that were quite above its price range. It came on top.

Yes there are lots of knobs and switches, but much like an instrument, you have to spend the time with it to get the most out of it. Mesas are quite easy to dial in if you read the manual and understand how the controls work.

It is a monster of am amp, capable of a wealth of tones. I am sure you are likely to find many that will be to your liking :)

Drop D Cups

Silver Supporting Member
Your post got me wondering.... it comes stock with 6L6s, you re-loaded it with EL34s? Good results?

Mine is loaded with 6L6's. I like the clean sounds, but the dirty stuff...has me longing for a Marshall flavor. While it is dark (which I am ok with), it has this crinkly hi end that just does not jive to that sound I hear in my head....

I am constantly obsessing over how I can change that, or how I can trade it in and get something else...but what?

And yes, the footswitch is HUGE...it eats up a lot of space on a board or onstage.
I first heard a Roadster when the other guitar player in the band I was in bought one. With the way we configured practices, I could hear his amp better than my own.

His Roadster with 6L6s sounded like a darker double rectifier. He read several posts that he should change out the stock 6L6s with Mesa EL34s which he did. His tone was magnificent. Sounded like a Marshall with Mesa characteristics. The perfect mix of them both.

I bought a Roadster off of Ebay and within 20 minutes ordered the Mesa EL34s. My results have been the same.

Understand that when I wrote "Marshall on steroids", I meant a great sounding Marshall with plenty gain and British character. I would never pretend to be a Marshall expert on specific models.

Hope this helps.

mfret1970

I just did exactly that. Mesa's sound pretty good to me, this one had the features I wanted, and scored a good deal through eBay. Wish me luck, should be here next week!

Evo5150

The Roadster is a great amp, really liked it. However the 100w I'll never use, and the thing is just damn big and heavy. Hence why I went with a ROV25; basically a mini-me of the Roadster, with obviously less features.

mikebat

Brit mode can be good with a single coil guitar, and the amps overall master turned up over 11 o'clock.

It does not sound like a JCM800, but it is in the neighborhood. In the context of a band it does pretty well, just don't A/B it with a Marshall and you'll be ok. It actually sounds Stilleto-ish in that setting....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom