I'm digging my new DD20...but now my Sparkle Drive sounds wrong.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bard2dbone, Feb 27, 2009.

1. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Okay. I'm confused and I admit it.

When I got my Sparkle Drive it behaved. But just lately it has developed a really loud 'clack' when I step on the switch. I was putting up with that because it sounded so good as a boost OR as a Tube Screamer equivalent (ish).

But after I got the GigaDelay, it's been misbehaving worse. It just doesn't sound right with the delay. It gets kind of ugly and definitely kind of wierd. THe actual tone of the pedal seems to be changing.

Is this a normal aging thing that I can take it to a shop for, or is something breaking and I should look for a new Sparkle Drive or something similar. Do these guys just not play well with time-based effects?

Help.

2. astainback

astainback Member

How are you powering these pedals?
    If they are on a daisy chain, what are the other pedals in the chain?

3. Brettski

Brettski Member

I think someone will invariably inquire about the order in which you have placed your effects, so I must ask. In what order have you placed your effects?

Also, I'm coming to find, lately, that I don't like the sound of a really distorted tone with a strong sounding DIGITAL delay (viva la carbon copy). Maybe you're getting to be the same way?

In my case it's usually user error that leads to sucky tone.:messedup

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I love my DD20 as well but it CAN screw with your od pedals.
    One day at rehearsal, I noticed my BB preamp sounded just dull and lifeless. Really flat sounding. I took the DD-20 out of the chain and the BB tone was back 100%. I have since sold the BB, and I am just living with the DD-20 at this point. It sounds so good as a delay and is versatile. I don't know of a way to use it without it affecting od's or other effects in the chain before it.

5. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

The DD20 has a buffer that some people love. I, on the other hand, really don't like it. That buffer screws with everything else for me. Now, I think the DD20 is an absolutely fine pedal, and one of the most underrated delays. But I'd put it either in a true bypass loop, or in the effects loop of your amp.

As far as the popping, ya, as mentioned above, if you're not already, you'll probably want to be using some decent cables and maybe a pedal power tank like the Voodoo Labs one to help take care of that.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Putting in a Loop will not solve the od problem, at least when you are using the od and the delay together. Your od will still suffer, possibly.

7. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Good point! :)

Maybe a lower mix on the delay, or maybe it's an opportunity to try some new pedals! :D

8. aziltz

aziltz Member

FWIW, the voodoo lab switches a have been known to go bad. If you can't solve the problem and determine its the switch, contact them and they'll fix it for free.

9. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

i've never had this problem personally.

10. swampdonkey90

swampdonkey90 Supporting Member

Sparkle drive pedals are notorious for having the switch go bad as earlier stated. A flaw to an otherwise great pedal.

11. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

The DD20 IS a new pedal. I got it about a week and a half ago.

12. dreed

dreed Member

Keep tweaking...I have both a sparkle drive and the DD-20 and love the combinations. at the end of the day it's your ears you have to please, but I would keep trying and tweaking all the settings. I've found some great sounds with these two pedals.

13. bard2dbone

bard2dbone Member

Well it doesn't all suck. There are definitely some cool sounds to be had. But the Sparkle Drive sounded better before I got the DD20. I suspect it really is just the switch going bad.

But I keep getting the feeling it's jealous of the new pedal. :NUTS :hide

14. oxtone

oxtone Member

Never had a problem with the DD-20 affecting the sound of other pedals.
    However, I've had to experiment with my OCD placement, as it does seem
    to react to certain pedals in a bad way due to buffer issues.

Maybe try a different placement of the Sparkle Drive...

15. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

i had the switch go on my sparkle drive, but after replacing the switch i had issues with the SD still (sound not loud/kind of trebly/weird/not right/blah blah blah...) Turns out that when i was engaging the pedal the pcb board was connecting with the bottom of the pedal...i screwed in the pcb in a little tighter and it seems to have corrected the problem....maybe check that out?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009