I'm done crying wolf...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarshaman, Dec 19, 2009.

1. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

So many years of buying and selling guitars, and I'm sick of it. For the last few months I've been trying to track down a Guild S-60 or S-70, and one finally arrived today. After a full cleaning, re-string, and set-up; I'm happier than ever with this guitar. Anyone else ready to settle down?
    I know I sound like the guy who says "I'll never drink again" the morning he's hungover... but this time it's different, I swear! :D
    [​IMG]

2. strat6866

strat6866 Member

I'm kind of there. I keep looking but nothing much seems to excite me (for the first time in several years). So I guess I pretty much have everything I need or want.

Nice guitar by the way.

3. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Great looking old Guild. I used to have a S-60, and wish I still did. Great neck, and those single coils rocked! Congratulations!

4. 5E3

5E3 Member

Sweet looking axe! Yes, it's nice to find a guitar or two you can live with and break the buy/sell cycle. Though I think some people enjoy the thrill of the hunt much more than the kill.

5. Craig Gates

Craig Gates Member

I'm done buying and selling too - I have a "clean up" plan in progress that hopefully will leave me with a manageable (and playable) amount of guitars and amps. Easier said than done I'm sure.

I've never seen that model Guild before - pretty crazy! Glad you are loving it and good luck staying on the wagon!

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

The thing that fuels (or at least has fueled) my buying and selling spree(s) are that I can't try anything new unless I sell off gear first. So, I never have more than 2-3 guitars in the house and usually only one, a few rare times two amps. And even with those numbers I knew I would eventually have to get down to one of each.
    For me, right now (and probably for the next few years) the AxeFX is my amp. It's great, I love it and quite frankly nothing else works in my situation (super low volumes, silent recording, etc...) so that's that. I still see amps that I would love to try, but I'm done selling the AxeFX to try and amp, just to find that no matter how good it is, I can't play it lol!
    Guitars of course are a different story. But I've tried the super-versatile can do it all stuff, the multiple guitars/best bang for the buck options, and the "one of each" technique. In the end, having more than two guitars for me makes no sense.
    I also play sitting 99% of the time right now and I've learned two things:
    1. 24 3/4" scale guitars with single or double cuts don't work well when sitting down (YMMV). I have to raise up my right foot on it's toes and I end up hunching way over the guitar, VERY bad poster that effects my playing and comfort bigtime.
    2. I'm a 25 1/2" scale guy for the most part
    3. I love the sound and feel of a Gibson style guitar SOMETIMES, but it would never be my main or one and only axe.
    4. A great strat has the ability to do all the tones I love AND it works perfectly when sitting or standing.
    So, I just traded into a Fender CS Strat (closet classic I think?) with a killer looking maple neck and 2 (or 3?) tone sunburst. I already have a very nice Fender MIA strat, 3TSB with rose wood neck. I would assume the CS strat is going to just "DO IT" for me but we shall see.
    More than likely the MIA will be my modding/upgrading/maybe light relic'ing guitar OR be sold off to recoup funds and get me down to ONE guitar, ONE "amp".
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it (for now lol!). I can begin to collect guitars that interest me later on...

7. neilr11

neilr11 Member

I'm at that point as well. I was spending way too much time buying and selling and less playing! I've settled down to a few guitars and a Mesa F-30 and i'm at peace with my gear for once.

8. blueshawk1

blueshawk1 Member

Same here, I still look, and I see a lot of stuff I like, I spot some great deals, but nothing that really gets knocks me out, and then all I have do is think about possibly selling it down the road, and that definitely kills any interest (I've been doing a major thinout this year, and selling has definitely cured my desire to buy).
    I know I have everything I want or need, and them some still. And if at some point I realize I don't, the same stuff will still be available when I might actually need it.

9. Rhynobyte

Rhynobyte Member

I'm at that point now myself. I had to ask myself what guitar tones I would like to cover. So for me it's my strat, ibanez artist, Ibanez rg550, Harmony Rocket. Then I just need a tele and a Les paul and I'm good electrically. Plus I'm in the infant stages of building a JEM. Too much buying and selling over the years. Too many things sold I miss. Too much time wasted. Well it was fun. Just sold a couple of Synths for some funding. Got a custom amp build on the way. I need a vintage fender again (princeton maybe) for the fender sound and I'm good to go. Never owned a mandolin and that's on the list. But that's it other than some effects. Acoustically I need a jumbo. I have plenty of parlor size and dreads.

The guild looks killer. Usually don't like odd shapes but that has areally nice balance. What kind of wood is it?

10. guitarshaman

guitarshaman Supporting Member

That's what I've finally realized, I'm on eBay and TGP looking for guitars more than I am playing! I totally agree that it's about the thrill of the hunt as well. Glad to see some other guys are also ready to end the madness of endless gear swapping.
    Thanks for the comments on the Guild to, these guitars are incredibly under rated! This one is all Mahogany I believe, but they also made some Ash models; as well as other pickup configurations. Good luck staying on the wagon you guys :beer

11. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'll never be done crying Wolf. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Were you working on another Garcia guitar?

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

I toast to an end to the madness... buy, sell, search, buy, search, sell, search...

I have a couple great guitars and I think I am actually done. Same with amps, in the last 6 or seven years I went from vintage blackface fenders to matchless, bad cat, top hat and ende up at the tweed vickies (still love matchlessamps).

My guitars include a tele that has been number one for a few years, I have an awsome acoustic (Martin J-41 Special) and I have a recent Ted McCarty DC245 with P-90s that replaced my Les Paul. I also have a very fancy looking Guild X170 but it will probabaly be sold; I just dont play it too much. I have a couple of tweed Vickies (20112 and a 35310) and I think I am done, coverd, finished and can stop cycle.

Now if you guys would just stop writting about the new awsome gear.....