• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

I'm done with the band thing

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I've been playing for decades. While I love being on a stage the reward just isn't worth the effort any more. Just quit my band because the singer's talent didn't match his ego. Dealing with that kind of crap, schlepping equipment, setting it up, tearing it down, coordinating schedules, booking gigs, dialing in sound, learning songs, losing my hearing, driving home at 3 am, feeling like crap the next day...

I'm done.

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
I've been playing for decades. While I love being on a stage the reward just isn't worth the effort any more. Just quit my band because the singer's talent didn't match his ego. Dealing with that kind of crap, schlepping equipment, setting it up, tearing it down, coordinating schedules, booking gigs, dialing in sound, learning songs, losing my hearing, driving home at 3 am, feeling like crap the next day...
Ok...what next?

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
At 64, I just recorded my first album of original songs (it drops this Friday). Enjoyed everything about the process and learned a ton doing it. In fact, I'm already writing the songs now for my next release. If this worked for the Beatles and Jon Silberman (focusing on the studio over the stage), perhaps it can also for you, GCDEF.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
At 64, I just recorded my first album of original songs (it drops this Friday). Enjoyed everything about the process and learned a ton doing it. In fact, I'm already writing the songs now for my next release. If this worked for the Beatles and Jon Silberman (focusing on the studio over the stage), perhaps it can also for you, GCDEF.
Kind of what I was thinking. Fire up Band in a Box and record an album with the wife perhaps. Maybe just hit some open jams where old musicians go to die.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
Was in the same boat.
Was wasting years away with some projects that never seemed to be fit to play out.

Joined a band 6 weeks ago, with a bunch of people all on the same page, all of equal (or higher) talent level. We booked a gig at a big venue, without being 100% comfortable/confident with the material, and played it last Friday, blew the place (and ourselves) away.

Go see for yourself, www.locomojoband.com

We all pitch in loading in/out, we all support each others "side gigs", its been a really positive and uplifting experience.

Good, positive bands, people, players are out there, you just need to find them..

hpharley90

Silver Supporting Member

I'm done.
I did that In 1996. Haven't looked back.

stratohiker

Silver Supporting Member
Was in the same boat.
Was wasting years away with some projects that never seemed to be fit to play out.

Joined a band 6 weeks ago, with a bunch of people all on the same page, all of equal (or higher) talent level. We booked a gig at a big venue, without being 100% comfortable/confident with the material, and played it last Friday, blew the place (and ourselves) away.

Go see for yourself, www.locomojoband.com

We all pitch in loading in/out, we all support each others "side gigs", its been a really positive and uplifting experience.

Good, positive bands, people, players are out there, you just need to find them..
I dig the singer/harp player's shirts ;-)
And the band's vibe.
Kudo's to you guys

Last edited:

txrsm

Silver Supporting Member
Yup...been there done that, OP. Sorry it got to the burnt out phase for you.

I quit too after dealing with so many diva musicians. I just loved playing live in bands but when it stopped being fun because the singer was taking from the top, or the drummer is so drunk they have to prop themselves up against the wall...it stops being fun.

The duo idea sounds great but definitely take a break to recharge and find that passion for playing again. Then start your new side project!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom