I'm done with the band thing

'63-Strat

Yeah ego bs not matched by talent/skills is not a good look even when young when it’s sort of forgivable. In middle-old age? Hard pass. I wish I could say I’m surprised but I have seen this bs so many times and it’s always cringy af.

To the OP >

Now that you're gone
All that's left is a band of gold
All that's left of the dreams I hold
Is a band of gold
And the memories of what love could be
If you were still here with me

roknfnrol

Gold Supporting Member
I've been playing for decades. While I love being on a stage the reward just isn't worth the effort any more. Just quit my band because the singer's talent didn't match his ego. Dealing with that kind of crap, schlepping equipment, setting it up, tearing it down, coordinating schedules, booking gigs, dialing in sound, learning songs, losing my hearing, driving home at 3 am, feeling like crap the next day...

I'm done.
That's understandable. It's all about being with people you admire and enjoy being around (for me). Also, I only tend to play at places that already have a PA system.

electricfactory

Gold Supporting Member
It do get old don't it ?

I've been playing for decades. While I love being on a stage the reward just isn't worth the effort any more. Just quit my band because the singer's talent didn't match his ego. Dealing with that kind of crap, schlepping equipment, setting it up, tearing it down, coordinating schedules, booking gigs, dialing in sound, learning songs, losing my hearing, driving home at 3 am...

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Been a full time musician for all of my life ...& Still going ...
There is one situation in particular which made me very uncomfortable...
Getting hired to back up singer/songwriters who's material I don't or didn't like..
Even though they usually paid me well, just the feeling of being unathenic or insincere infront of others was excruciating ...

Have been called on many a time to do so ... Too many rehearsals for only one or two concerts ...
Just doesn't cut it for me ....

Last edited:

Riffi

Courtney DIDN’T Kill Kurt!
Silver Supporting Member
There is one situation in particular which made me very uncomfortable...
Getting hired to back up singer/songwriters who's material I don't or didn't like..

Exactly, and I’m not an actor, I can’t pretend to enjoy playing the material if I don’t, life’s too short, gotta enjoy what you play, gotta play for yourself first,to quote the late great Rick(y) Nelson “ you can’t please everyone, so you gotta please yourself!”

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
In the past month I have played in 6 different bands with 6 different singers. Playing with another band tomorrow with a different singing duo and the regular band Sunday. I am old and working a lot. Blessed to have the head, hands and legs to keep it up I tell ya. And venues that still let old people on the bandstand.

Living the dream baby.

There is a saying in Nashville. You don't get paid to play. You get paid to ride the bus. Schlepping equipment, setting it up, tearing it down, coordinating schedules, booking gigs, dialing in sound, learning songs, losing my hearing, driving home at 3 am? That is all riding the bus. Part of the package. In exchange for the gift of making live music. No I don't always love it but I'm afraid for me it is a calling. Only following the calling

Yooper

“Good” compared to what, if it’s the only kind?
Well, the Scots did invent the "water of life".

"The name itself derives from the Gaelic name, uisge beatha, which translates loosely to 'water of life'. The first recorded instance comes much later, in 1494 – local records show Friar John Cor of Lindores Abbey in Fife was granted the king's commission to make Acqua Vitae, Latin for 'water of life'."

I was so-so on bourbon, but after sampling the elixirs of the Highlands and Islands, I was hooked. True, it's an acquired taste, but once you get there, there's no going back. Except for maybe a Yellow Spot from Ireland. They spell whisk(e)y both ways there, just to make everybody happy.

After a side trip to Irish whisky, it's back the peat smoked nectars of Isaly. A wee bit of added spring water brings out the flavor of a dram. Then one beholds the glory of Scotch Mist. I suggest Ardbeg for the bold of heart.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Well, the Scots did invent the "water of life".

"The name itself derives from the Gaelic name, uisge beatha, which translates loosely to 'water of life'. The first recorded instance comes much later, in 1494 – local records show Friar John Cor of Lindores Abbey in Fife was granted the king's commission to make Acqua Vitae, Latin for 'water of life'."

I was so-so on bourbon, but after sampling the elixirs of the Highlands and Islands, I was hooked. True, it's an acquired taste, but once you get there, there's no going back. Except for maybe a Yellow Spot from Ireland. They spell whisk(e)y both ways there, just to make everybody happy.

After a side trip to Irish whisky, it's back the peat smoked nectars of Isaly. A wee bit of added spring water brings out the flavor of a dram. Then one beholds the glory of Scotch Mist. I suggest Ardbeg for the bold of heart.
Your preference in whisk(e)y has no bearing on the fact that both spellings of the word are correct. I drink more of this than anything else:
1640298224997.png

Festus

I feel your pain. I’ve been in a steady gigging band for several years now, and the luster has finally faded. I still want to gig, but there are no other opportunities that are appealing right now. So....what to do?

Trolley Car

Like many personal relationships centered around work, play, or obligations that fall somewhere in- between, bands run through a cycle that naturally sparks, peaks, and fades until it’s done and there is no more band. There’s not a good or a bad value you can assign to this event. It’s something that occurs in people’s lives, any time they commit to a goal.

From 1999-2004 I was in a band I loved playing in. Right time, right place, right musical abilities , right persons. I have not played in one since. I don miss it ‘cause I did it. The cycle ran its course.

Last edited:

Top Bottom