1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm done with the incivility on the Amps and Cabs forum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Geeze, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Geeze

Geeze Member

Drifting about Tennessee in Marshall Heaven
    I posted this here as I spent 99% of my time in the Amps and Cabs forum. Some of the responses to the 'Why are guitar amps so ugly' were over the top. Unfortunately the public pile on is not limited to that discussion.

I have enjoyed participating and supporting this forum since 2013. Made several friends, learned loads and was exposed to much GAS. Thank you for that!

In the last few years the snark and bitch slap comments directed at those the poster disagreed with has sunk to distasteful levels. Like much of society TPG social discourse has lost the ability to embrace other ideas without resorting to snide comments designed to belittle thoughts and beliefs other than their own. I concede that sheer volume of posts makes the mods job challenging and I don't blame them for the issue.

I don't want you to think like me, like the gear I do as you will expose me to new possibilities. Denigrating those you don't agree with destroys the power of a discussion forum. I expect adult level respect and consideration and for some here that seems to be impossible. It has made participating on this forum not enjoyable and I won't be financially supporting TGP again.

Russ

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  2. john l

john l Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this Geeze. Its the internet generation...people are used to saying anything that comes into their brains without fear of consequence. That said...I find what gets a pass from the mods vs what gets an infraction here to be mind blowing.

3. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

4. Machew

Machew Member

I have used the ignore thread function many times and will continue. I have yet to ignore a person yet, but will not hesitate.

I just got rid of an old friend for being too much of a douche. I have no room for people that bring me down.

5. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy PV = nRT Gold Supporting Member

I'm sorry you feel that way, man. What I get here is mostly enthusiasm and new knowledge. I wish you could get more of that vibe, too.

6. 108

108 Member

I’m sorry that you have such thin skin. If you’re insulted by that thread, good luck finding safety elsewhere on the internet, because TGP is an extraordinarily tame environment. Sayonara!

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped

I know the feeling mr Geeze. Unfortunately people here run off many high end folks with their own broken I am so awesome brain. I guess a one time on stage bright lights fried their brain. There’s some good folks left, but not many.

wntbtw, Abram4235, Scrapperz and 2 others like this.
  8. 108

108 Member

Precisely. This goes for any online social platform I use, but I’ll block/ignore a person without a second thought. The beauty of places like this is that we can cultivate our own experience, and the moment someone makes this place unpleasant for us, they are only a couple clicks away from being removed from our personal experience and forgotten.

9. slayerbear17

slayerbear17 Member

True.

10. Machew

Machew Member

Agreed... just filter out the s#$%heads and Im good to go! That's why I filtered out the entire Pub. Since then its been a better place. Just not for my wallet.

HERSCHEL, kookaburra, stratus and 3 others like this.
  11. BearBryan

BearBryan Member

I went and read through all 14 pages of that thread and I have no idea what you are talking about.

12. Telejester

Telejester Member

OP if you want to experience a forum with snotty comments, arguments over literally nothing and some real as$holes with egos that seriously need brought down to earth....... go and read the comments on a road cycling internet forum. I promise you will read flame wars over nothing and posts from some of the biggest jerks to sit in front of a PC, this place is 6 weeks in the bahamas on summer holiday compared to a road cycling forum. Re-evaluate your thoughts OP

13. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

And super classy that you decided to put him down here. /s

It's a shame we don't have moderate consequences online like we do in life. It seems like online you're ignored until you're flamed, doxxed, and then you get fired from you real life job, etc.

Edit: was explicit about sarcasm.

14. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

If the OP thinks this forum is out of control (LOL!!!)... you better stay off the net. This place is about as slow, low tolerance, and controlled as they come.

Never understood these good-bye threads either. If you want to leave... just go!

15. zenas

zenas Member

I own a 66 Volvo 122s wagon, so naturally I joined a couple of forums. One was really great with decent people that help each other out. That one is geared more for older Volvos.
    The other one is a mess, they allow political talk and that just never ends well. Even so I manage to help a guy out last year that was in the area when his Volvo broke down. I was just leaving for a date but sent a couple of local guys I knew over to get his car running.
    I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.
    Also remember that sarcasm and humor don't always translate well in text forum. I've got to be better about including smiley faces with my post sometimes.

16. Lt Dak

Lt Dak Supporting Member

I've been making use of the ignore function quite a bit lately. My experience here has been better for it.

Beyond that, people do have some agency in how they interact with the world. I think a lot of what we see online is essentially people vomiting their unaddressed trauma/issues onto others. Those are their problems, not mine, so I try to make the choice to not shoulder their burdens.

I'm more successful some days than others.

madhermit, CRWolf, HERSCHEL and 7 others like this.
  17. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

The OP says that amps are ugly, and everybody tells him he's wrong, and they think amps look great.
    Of course, the OP should have said, "please show me some amps with wood cabinets".
    That would have gone better.
    But 100 dudes piling on one dude telling him he's wrong is just bad behavior.

18. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I agree with you that things here seem to be changing not for the better. I even had a rude experience with a mod not that long ago & I am pretty sure I only drew their attention because they disagreed with what they thought was a political opinion I was voicing. But regardless - the level of general civility here has really gone down. The amps forum seems to be a hot spot for that.

This place should be better than twitter or reddit, the insults and 'dunking' on each other should stop if they want good people to stick around and keep supporting the place

19. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

That is true. As a formerly serious road cyclist, a lot of road cyclists are some of the most pompous jerks you'll ever meet

20. Jecht

Jecht Member

I think you’re right. I’m 29 and I feel like I’m talking to my parents on here. lol