• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

I'm done with the incivility on the Amps and Cabs forum

john l

Silver Supporting Member
From the Terms & Rules;

SUMMARY
: Your membership to TGP is a privilege, not a right. If you don’t agree with the rules, you should find a discussion site that better meets your expectations. Although we value every member and want you to be here, if we feel that your membership hurts the experience for others, we may choose to suspend or ban you. We reserve the right to suspend or ban any member for any reason, not limited to the above rules.

That Summary (and the Terms & Rules) is something you actually acknowledged by checking a box that indicated you “had read and agree to abide by all of TGP‘s Rules as a condition of your continued Membership on TGP”. That said, it appears your accusations are not Fact Based.
I’d like to suggest we incorporate a “dislike” or perhaps a thumbs down button here please.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
It's true. Maybe he deserved what he got.
I thought his basic question was valid, so he deserved a reasonable response.
But posting "amps are ugly" on an amp forum is certainly trolling !
I know we can’t see “tone” in what someone says on the internet. We can only attempted to analyze words. The thread title was one thing, but the OP was fine until the very last sentence. When someone posts that way, to me, it’s a attempt at drama. He asks a question that could be taken as legit, then goes off the deep end with the last sentence. Then read his replies to multiple thoughtful and honest replies. “Why can’t this be like that” posts are hard to take serious. When you post 6 times in a row without another member posting in between... we need a term for that. Somebody help me with that. Thread pumping. Thread humping.. I don’t know. I’ll think of something better than that, but it’s not “normal.”

That said, some troll posts are mean. Some are drama seeking. I think his posting style was more “12 year old who just got his first guitar.” But, maybe that’s giving the benefit of the doubt. To anyone who’s been playing any time at all, many of his responses were goofy enough to be “trolling.” IMHO, YMMV. Maybe he really was just doing everything possible to keep his thread alive. To some, that’s a thing. They start a thread, and do everything possible to keep it going.

And yes, it’s a thread I NEVER would have read or especially posted in, if not for it’s link being mentioned as the reason for a long time member leaving. And, many posts later, there is still only one really jerky post, IMO. So I still haven’t figured out what set him off enough to start this thread.

Last edited:

chikubi

From the Terms & Rules;

SUMMARY
: Your membership to TGP is a privilege, not a right. If you don’t agree with the rules, you should find a discussion site that better meets your expectations. Although we value every member and want you to be here, if we feel that your membership hurts the experience for others, we may choose to suspend or ban you. We reserve the right to suspend or ban any member for any reason, not limited to the above rules.

That Summary (and the Terms & Rules) is something you actually acknowledged by checking a box that indicated you “had read and agree to abide by all of TGP‘s Rules as a condition of your continued Membership on TGP”. That said, it appears your accusations are not Fact Based.
And what recourse do you provide to the membership when they feel that the actions of the staff hurts the experience for themselves and other members?

john l

Silver Supporting Member
What’s the point of a dislike button? If someone is consistently an issue for you, block them. It’s like a ‘thumbs down’, but even better.
Haha. I’m pretty sure my comment was received the way it was intended to whom it was intended for.

I’m not actually not recommending a dislike button man lol.

Reactions: 108

chikubi

Yeah how dare the staff enforce rules.
That's not what I asked nor implied, so again, what recourse do you provide to the membership when they feel that the actions of the staff hurts the experience for themselves and other members?

When we all sign up here and agree to the rules, we do so under the presumption that they will be enforced fairly, objectively, and without prejudice or discrimination. If members start to find that to not be the case, then what options do they have available to correct that, apart from having to, ". . . find a discussion site that better meets your expectations."

FWIW, I've never personally had a problem here, but purely objectively, considering that the majority of the membership seem to be paying members which makes this a business, from a customer service stand point it's a fair question, and one that deserves a better reply that a seven word off-the-cuff snarky comeback.

COYS

That's not what I asked nor implied, so again, what recourse do you provide to the membership when they feel that the actions of the staff hurts the experience for themselves and other members?

When we all sign up here and agree to the rules, we do so under the presumption that they will be enforced fairly, objectively, and without prejudice or discrimination. If members start to find that to not be the case, then what options do they have available to correct that, apart from having to, ". . . find a discussion site that better meets your expectations."

FWIW, I've never personally had a problem here, but purely objectively, considering that the majority of the membership seem to be paying members which makes this a business, from a customer service stand point it's a fair question, and one that deserves a better reply that a seven word off-the-cuff snarky comeback.
There should be some ability for the public to discuss the way the site is moderated, or some form of transparency as to how it's done other than torquing off the wrong person on the wrong day.

But of course, the Terms and Rules say if you don't like what they can do you can take a hike and that you aren't allowed to question or discuss it, so those are the rules. We are supposed to love TGP or leave it.

I think heavy handed moderation on dissent will probably do as much to cause people to leave as the toxic climate in certain parts of the site would. It's a difficult position but my opinion is that it shouldn't be totally off limits to question anything.

big mike

Platinum Supporting Member

Well since I’m no longer on staff since February, my ‘snark’ isn’t affiliated with Tgp policy
I suggest you Pm an admin and ask them. Note the ‘moderator’ tag is gone from my profile.
It’s not my job to provide customer service. Nor the moderators.

in case that’s not clear enough...I’m a regular member now and entitled to point out when I think the butt hurt is a little strong here.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
Fair enough on the face of it but others see what happened differently.
Ah! The both sides do it argument. Fail.

[edit] reading your comment to refer to opinions in the"ugly amos" thread.[/edit]
This post is spot on. However, I don’t know the answer. Some mods (One on particular) feel they’re judgement is the end all be all and some (one in particular) decide what They say is not subject to question or interpretation. Leading to going above their head to which puts those above their head in awkward situations. There are some mods here that are very intuitive and when a question arises may actually ask. And others (one in particular) I feel are just on a power trip and feel their decisions are based on their own emotions, political standing, point of view etc etc. An unfortunate scenario. However, it is what it is. My experience here has been diminished greatly because of one mod in particular. Experience here is not really relevant unless it corresponds with what’s “ok” to post. I will say that Brian and Scott and most of the current mods are realistic and fair in their views whether they agree or not. When Big Mike was a Mod he was also fair. All I can say is. It is what it is. You learn to live within the boundaries of one mod or you don’t. I’ve been here since 2002. 2004 according to my handle that was changed. I’ve suffered 17 infractions in my less than 6000 posts. Mostly because one or more of my posts “offended” someone. No doubt at least a third were from 1 mod in particular. Again, it is what it is. You learn to live within the boundaries of someone else’s offendedness. In truth, I won’t be surprised if this post is removed.
The ones who gripe the most are the least likely to volunteer.

Mod screw ups / disagreements? Sure, but these guys are volunteers, and have lives to run. None of this is life changing (struggling to put this into perspective without getting political).

... Thom

Last edited:

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member

This post is spot on. However, I don’t know the answer. Some mods (One on particular) feel they’re judgement is the end all be all and some (one in particular) decide what They say is not subject to question or interpretation. Leading to going above their head to which puts those above their head in awkward situations. There are some mods here that are very intuitive and when a question arises may actually ask. And others (one in particular) I feel are just on a power trip and feel their decisions are based on their own emotions, political standing, point of view etc etc. An unfortunate scenario. However, it is what it is. My experience here has been diminished greatly because of one mod in particular. Experience here is not really relevant unless it corresponds with what’s “ok” to post. I will say that Brian and Scott and most of the current mods are realistic and fair in their views whether they agree or not. When Big Mike was a Mod he was also fair. All I can say is. It is what it is. You learn to live within the boundaries of one mod or you don’t. I’ve been here since 2002. 2004 according to my handle that was changed. I’ve suffered 17 infractions in my less than 6000 posts. Mostly because one or more of my posts “offended” someone. No doubt at least a third were from 1 mod in particular. Again, it is what it is. You learn to live within the boundaries of someone else’s offendedness. In truth, I won’t be surprised if this post is removed.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member

[edit] reading your comment to refer to opinions in the"ugly amos" thread.[/edit]

Mod screw ups / disagreements? Sure, but these guys are volunteers, and have lives to run. None of this is life changing (struggling to put this into perspective without getting political).

... Thom
I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to say. Volunteer? I’m not exactly sure how it works but I believe people are asked to become mods and don’t just volunteer. I wouldn’t volunteer for one reason and one reason only. I don’t feel it’s acceptable for people to go on and on endlessly about what amp, guitar, pedal, etc is best when they have never posted a clip of their playing. A qualifier if you will. There are countless posts on here from people that have 0 experience relating their experience to others. Some mods view that as “opinion”. Opinion is not experience. I clearly have a skewed view of what qualifies as a legitimate post or “opinion”. Therefore, I could never be a mod.

Sam Xavier

... Thom
Nope, no fail. I'm not saying both sides do it. I'm saying others disagree with his post, as do I. His post would be valid, if correct but it wasn't. I stand by my original comments.

But, if you're looking for a side argument, have at it.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
Nope, no fail. I'm not saying both sides do it. I'm saying others disagree with his post, as do I. His post would be valid, if correct but it wasn't. I stand by my original comments.

But, if you're looking for a side argument, have at it.
Fair enough. I must have misread your post.

... Thom

scopa

Gold Supporting Member
wow people are here need to go take a long walk.
TGP is a great site. Moderators are fine.

Folks with so many issues - start your own forum. start your own board or site somewhere.

Stop stinking up the threads with negative, complaining, whining crap. I think you might be looking for twitter.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
wow people are here need to go take a long walk.
TGP is a great site. Moderators are fine.

Folks with so many issues - start your own forum. start your own board or site somewhere.

Stop stinking up the threads with negative, complaining, whining crap. I think you might be looking for twitter.
You made my point better than I was able to.

... Thom

wrxplayer

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry to hear this Geeze. Its the internet generation...people are used to saying anything that comes into their brains without fear of consequence. That said...I find what gets a pass from the mods vs what gets an infraction here to be mind blowing.
Yep.

Trending Topics