I'm done with the incivility on the Amps and Cabs forum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Geeze, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:53 PM.

1. Comanche5

Comanche5 Member

This place would be so much better if all the threads beginning with “I do not like” (or something along those lines) were not posted. What’s the point of all the negativity? How does it help? Why even bother? It’s not just TGP though.

Ryan x Decent and mody like this.
  2. Tone chader

Tone chader Member

A coward ? Putting someone down, while behind your keyboard makes you what?

Phil M, DreamTheaterRules and ufguy73 like this.
  3. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

These days? Too often a bona fide TGP member!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 1:15 AM
    Phil M, matw and Tone chader like this.
  4. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

Given that someone you're defending put the whole forum down behind his computer before leaving, I'm not too worried about it.

Btw, you also typed this message behind your computer, no? Big man you are LMAO.

Tone chader likes this.
  5. Tone chader

Tone chader Member

Pretty funny. :)

6. James Freeman

James Freeman Member

Second post usually makes or breaks the thread.
    You post your OP, then hope for a nice second post,, but typically it's some variation of a snarky one liner.
    Or a war to 'prove' how wrong one is.
    Or just some insolence to amass 'likes'.
    :rolleyes2:

I never had to use the ignore function on any forum, I started to on TGP.
    I use an AdBlocker script to completely remove any reminiscence of said people, even when I'm not logged-in, it's that bad. :aok

7. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

Agree 100. The gear page is TAME. if you can't handle it here then the internet is not for you.

Also agree on the goodbye threads, especially those designed to tell us you are too good for this place. No one cares. Just delete your account and go. Life here will go on exactly the same.

Darkburst, TubeStack and Miroslav L like this.
  8. Emigre

Emigre Member

I think that TGP is pretty benign, however I also belong to a piano forum where it's FAR more "civil". Unbelievably so. Cotton wool all around. The typical TGP thread would cause a spike of consumption in smelling salts and pearls for clutching.

However, I put "civil" in quotes because I detect a massive undercurrent of passive aggressive behaviour there.

I think TGP is pretty healthy for the most part.

9. DJ_61

DJ_61 Member

You take the internet and the people on it far too seriously.

TubeStack likes this.
  10. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I think, to OPs point, the amps and cabs forum has become more toxic than the rest of the board. Heaven forbid you should question the value of a $6,000 Deluxe Reverb clone... be prepared to be dogpiled and hear lots of comments about how stupid you are and how "mature ears" can hear a huge huge difference through the laptop speakers :rolleyes: I read that forum but rarely say anything there because going against any prevailing opinion is sticking your head in an alligator's mouth

11. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

By saying that most guitar amps are ugly, you’re basically telling most of the members here that you think their prized amp is ugly.

Did I care? Nope.

Would someone else care? Quite possibly.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020 at 4:16 AM
    johnsav and Matteo11 like this.
  12. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

This is a good point, and reminds me of the deleted Wandre thread. People will post something with a title that's designed to capture attention, usually with a very strong opinion, sometimes an ill-informed or shallow opinion, and then the equally strong reaction by those who disagree (who might be better informed/have more familiarity with the subject), leads to the OP stating he or she feels victimized by all of the 'negativity' that's creating a 'toxic environment'.

I am guilty of expressing some of my opinions in ways that make me seem like a cantankerous jackass, and I'm going to try to make this a better place by expressing that differently or more positively or by not taking the bait or trying to 'win', but I also love a good discussion, even an argument, at times, if I feel strongly about the topic, and I do think this would be a boring place without disagreement.

OP, if you feel you're making an ethical stand by not supporting the forum I respect that, but even so, I think the problem is with the people, not the forum. I have been freeloading here for a few years, so I'm going to renew my paid membership, as overall, this is a good place.

bradtfw and Dirty Dave like this.
  13. galibier_un

galibier_un Supporting Member

Not sure what prompted me to click on that "ugly amps" thread either, 'coz the thread title was troll-like and provocative. The OP said that it wasn't his intent. Well, he should have changed the title. For the record (in case he finally changes it), the title as of 02-Aug-2020, 3:18am MDT was: "why are guitar amps so ugly?"

Sometimes ya need a bit of abuse (so I weakened and clicked), because it feels so good when you stop.

Anyhow, the large majority of the replies were fine to me and I like to think of myself as having a reasonable standard of civility (I ain't perfect).

... Thom

14. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave Member

That Prince Of Darkness poster avatar is better than 7 pages of arguing about stuff that people don't like.
    I caught that on the theatrical release.
    Is the word 'avatar' even used anymore?

sleep likes this.
  15. James Freeman

James Freeman Member

There is a reason this thread is trending.
    Whether we agree with the OP or not, we know exactly what he is talking about.

matw likes this.
  16. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

If we agreed, there would be no discussion. I do not agree that TGP is full of a-holes although I don’t frequent the amps forum. I do see lots of people trying to be helpful in the sub forums I do visit. Guitars in general, the pedal forum, and aside from the bad actor builder threads, the small company luthier section is pretty much a love fest.

17. n9ne

n9ne Member

I initially misread the title of the thread and thought the OP was complaining about the invincibility of the Amps and Cabs forum.

I was like, "Dang....that must be one seriously powerful forum!"

18. sleep

sleep Supporting Member

That movie and ‘The Thing’ are what my childhood nightmares were made of, but the church emergence scene in PoD still freaks me out.

Dirty Dave likes this.
  19. wetordry

wetordry Member

Any thread title making a blanket statement is gonna draw that heat.

rizla likes this.
  20. Strat

Strat Supporting Member

True, it was/is a really stupid title, what did he THINK would happen ? OH - there , I did it.

wetordry and rizla like this.