I'm done with the incivility on the Amps and Cabs forum

James Freeman

Second post usually makes or breaks the thread.
You post your OP, then hope for a nice second post,, but typically it's some variation of a snarky one liner.
Or a war to 'prove' how wrong one is.
Or just some insolence to amass 'likes'.
:rolleyes2:

I never had to use the ignore function on any forum, I started to on TGP.
I use an AdBlocker script to completely remove any reminiscence of said people, even when I'm not logged-in, it's that bad. :aok

MrTAteMyBalls

crycryGirl-329.gif

If the OP thinks this forum is out of control (LOL!!!)... you better stay off the net. This place is about as slow, low tolerance, and controlled as they come.

Never understood these good-bye threads either. If you want to leave... just go!

Agree 100. The gear page is TAME. if you can't handle it here then the internet is not for you.

Also agree on the goodbye threads, especially those designed to tell us you are too good for this place. No one cares. Just delete your account and go. Life here will go on exactly the same.

Emigre

I think that TGP is pretty benign, however I also belong to a piano forum where it's FAR more "civil". Unbelievably so. Cotton wool all around. The typical TGP thread would cause a spike of consumption in smelling salts and pearls for clutching.

However, I put "civil" in quotes because I detect a massive undercurrent of passive aggressive behaviour there.

I think TGP is pretty healthy for the most part.

COYS

I think, to OPs point, the amps and cabs forum has become more toxic than the rest of the board. Heaven forbid you should question the value of a $6,000 Deluxe Reverb clone... be prepared to be dogpiled and hear lots of comments about how stupid you are and how "mature ears" can hear a huge huge difference through the laptop speakers :rolleyes: I read that forum but rarely say anything there because going against any prevailing opinion is sticking your head in an alligator's mouth

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member
By saying that most guitar amps are ugly, you’re basically telling most of the members here that you think their prized amp is ugly.

Did I care? Nope.

Would someone else care? Quite possibly.

Last edited:

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
By saying that most guitar amps are ugly, you’re basically telling most of the members here that you think their prized amp is ugly.

Did I care? Nope.

Would someone else care? Quite possibly.
This is a good point, and reminds me of the deleted Wandre thread. People will post something with a title that's designed to capture attention, usually with a very strong opinion, sometimes an ill-informed or shallow opinion, and then the equally strong reaction by those who disagree (who might be better informed/have more familiarity with the subject), leads to the OP stating he or she feels victimized by all of the 'negativity' that's creating a 'toxic environment'.

I am guilty of expressing some of my opinions in ways that make me seem like a cantankerous jackass, and I'm going to try to make this a better place by expressing that differently or more positively or by not taking the bait or trying to 'win', but I also love a good discussion, even an argument, at times, if I feel strongly about the topic, and I do think this would be a boring place without disagreement.

OP, if you feel you're making an ethical stand by not supporting the forum I respect that, but even so, I think the problem is with the people, not the forum. I have been freeloading here for a few years, so I'm going to renew my paid membership, as overall, this is a good place.

galibier_un

Silver Supporting Member
I’m at a complete loss here. I checked out the thread Geeze complaining about and aside from ONE person going off the deep end over the course of the 15 pages I saw, there was nothing even remotely worth getting in a huff about.

Seriously, did all these supposed comments get deleted or something? I saw nothing outside of one jerk having a meltdown, a couple people make a lighthearted comment trying to be funny, and a whole lot of reasonable discussion.

What’s the problem?
Not sure what prompted me to click on that "ugly amps" thread either, 'coz the thread title was troll-like and provocative. The OP said that it wasn't his intent. Well, he should have changed the title. For the record (in case he finally changes it), the title as of 02-Aug-2020, 3:18am MDT was: "why are guitar amps so ugly?"

Sometimes ya need a bit of abuse (so I weakened and clicked), because it feels so good when you stop.

Anyhow, the large majority of the replies were fine to me and I like to think of myself as having a reasonable standard of civility (I ain't perfect).

... Thom

Dirty Dave

This is a good point, and reminds me of the deleted Wandre thread. People will post something with a title that's designed to capture attention, usually with a very strong opinion, sometimes an ill-informed or shallow opinion, and then the equally strong reaction by those who disagree (who might be better informed/have more familiarity with the subject), leads to the OP stating he or she feels victimized by all of the 'negativity' that's creating a 'toxic environment'.

I am guilty of expressing some of my opinions in ways that make me seem like a cantankerous jackass, and I'm going to try to make this a better place by expressing that differently or more positively or by not taking the bait or trying to 'win', but I also love a good discussion, even an argument, at times, if I feel strongly about the topic, and I do think this would be a boring place without disagreement.

OP, if you feel you're making an ethical stand by not supporting the forum I respect that, but even so, I think the problem is with the people, not the forum. I have been freeloading here for a few years, so I'm going to renew my paid membership, as overall, this is a good place.
That Prince Of Darkness poster avatar is better than 7 pages of arguing about stuff that people don't like.
I caught that on the theatrical release.
Is the word 'avatar' even used anymore?

James Freeman

There is a reason this thread is trending.
Whether we agree with the OP or not, we know exactly what he is talking about.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
There is a reason this thread is trending.
Whether we agree with the OP or not, we know exactly what he is talking about.
If we agreed, there would be no discussion. I do not agree that TGP is full of a-holes although I don’t frequent the amps forum. I do see lots of people trying to be helpful in the sub forums I do visit. Guitars in general, the pedal forum, and aside from the bad actor builder threads, the small company luthier section is pretty much a love fest.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
That Prince Of Darkness poster avatar is better than 7 pages of arguing about stuff that people don't like.
I caught that on the theatrical release.
Is the word 'avatar' even used anymore?
That movie and ‘The Thing’ are what my childhood nightmares were made of, but the church emergence scene in PoD still freaks me out.

NatGardner

Given our day and age, the political climate and the recent racial tensions I find this place to be the one place we all are on the same page. For me TGP is a place where we all love to read about, learn, share our experiences, GAS and crank up our gear and play guitar. If someone were to upset me here with their opinion, or more than likely their disapproval of mine, I am pretty sure if we were to sit in a room with a few guitars and a few amps we would be great friends in seconds.

James Freeman

In the last few years the snark and bitch slap comments directed at those the poster disagreed with has sunk to distasteful levels. Like much of society TPG social discourse has lost the ability to embrace other ideas without resorting to snide comments designed to belittle thoughts and beliefs other than their own. I concede that sheer volume of posts makes the mods job challenging and I don't blame them for the issue.
I agree with every word here.
I dare not speak about engineering, measurement, technicality or 'ideas',, they attract narrow minds very quickly on TGP.
Maybe it's for the better.

Top Bottom