I'm enjoying a $225 guitar more than $2,000 guitars. What the....?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Noise Under The Floor, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    :hide

Back in November, just on a whim, I picked up this Ibanez Talman for $225.

[​IMG]

I've always had a soft spot for the looks of offset body guitars like Jags and Jazzmasters, but generally don't get along with them that well as far as playing comfort. This one caught my eye with its oddball headstock shape, gold sparkle finish, and it even had some decent birdseye in the neck and figuring in the headstock wood. Figured it could be my punk rock beater guitar, might be good for some wiring/pickup modding.

The thing is though, after I gave it good setup, its fast become my go-to guitar when I just want to sit down and play. Comfy neck, no fret buzz or dead spots, and stays in tune like a champ even with the cheapo trem. This MIK cheapo has been trumping my Gibsons and PRS, that cost 10X more, on playing time and enjoyment. The thing is so comfortable and just flat out fun to play. I just spent a few hours playing my guitars, and purposely left the Talman until last. Sure enough, when I picked it up it just felt right and I ended up sitting and playing it longer than the others and completely enjoying myself.
    :bonk

milli vanilli and Turi like this.
  2. Qmax

Qmax Member

You're not alone my friend!
    I just made a bone nut for a $225 Squier with P90's in it. I've completely modified the guitar where it's not even close to the way it came, but I go to it more than a custom build I have and some other pricey ones hanging on the wall.

3. davetone

davetone Member

Cool! If it works for you, that's what matters. Congrats on the find and that it has become more than what you thought it would be!

leonard d rock likes this.
  4. plaintopper

plaintopper Member

I'm convinced that nobody REALLY knows what the end result of the guitar equation is going to be until it is a finished product.

Not the guy in a factory in Asia, not the guy in a factory here, not even (dare I say) the guy charging you $2-10k to build one for you with all the highest end parts and attention to detail.

I think our perceptions of whether a guitar is great, good, just OK, or lousy are formed by a lot of factors. Expectations and price paid are two of them. Are we more likely to get on board with a plucky overachiever from the wrong side of the tracks, or the one with the pedigree and price tag to match that just doesn't quite deliver and leaves us a bit underwhelmed? You grow to love the former, but the latter just bugs you every time you pick it up.

There is a lot of psychology and emotion involved in guitars ... :)

tamader74, bluegrif and josh_michael like this.
  5. Last

Last Member

I hear ya!

I put a ding in my Squire Classic Vibe Tele the other day and thougt, OMG!

[​IMG]

Till I realized it was my Classic Vibe Tele. Then I thought, Meh. :dunno

Fun Guitar for sure and no worries.

TVvoodoo likes this.
  6. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

That's a really cool looking guitar.

Play her in good health!

Peace.

7. dezb1

dezb1 Member

always liked the talmans, wanted the lipsticks loaded version since they came out in the 90s never been luck enough to find one.

8. SamJ

SamJ Member

I've always said...

A great setup and new strings on a new bass (I don't play electric guitar) will play better than a high end bass with no/poor setup and worn out strings..

That being said, the best case is great bass and great setup.. but truth be told, sometimes if you're playing a crap instrument you feel "less stressed" and this might translate to a better time... I know when I'm handling my $8K Spector I do so with kid gloves and I get stressed out if my hands get sweaty... otoh if I'm at Guitar Center playing a $399 Asian special, I can play the crap out of it with no concern for sweaty hands, and so I tend to play more relaxed..

Odd, I know, but that's just me

9. Noise Under The Floor

All very true, excellent observations. I just bought one of my "dream" guitar models last week (brand not named to avoid bashing) for $2500. My wife actually encouraged me to buy it. Now she's just rolling her eyes at me over the fact that I prefer the feel of the cheapo over it. Aesthetically, I love it but playability and comfort wise its a bit of let down. Thinking of returning it.

I haven't even figured out if this Talman is actual hardwood or not. Apparently some were a composite material. The neck is definitely maple, nice figuring, and super comfortable. Fender-ish, but narrow, and a flatter radius.

10. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

The guitar that I play every day is a 1962 Goya G-10 classical guitar that I bought at an estate sale for $65. The guitar I played every day before I got the Goya is a Silvertone archtop acoustic that I bought from a pawnshop for $100.

11. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

Not surprising at all. Wouldn't surprise me if it was made by Cort given your comments. Cort are the world leaders in bang for buck.

12. Noise Under The Floor

That's how I am with my PRS. Its the most expensive guitar I've ever owned. I'm afraid to take it out of the case sometimes. Meanwhile, the Talman has no case and gets left propped up or laying on the floor.

13. SamJ

SamJ Member

and made in Canada not China, right?

14. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

What is the neck profile like on the Talman?

15. davetone

davetone Member

I totally agree with that post, and I do believe that in some cases that is part of the equation. There's a certain amount of freedom when we don't have to worry too much about that and we can just let loose and play! I take great care of my guitars, but sometimes something happens (a pick scratch or a small ding) and it's nice to not be "reserved" when playing because of being too self conscious of the instrument.

16. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

Korea would be my guess.

17. davetone

davetone Member

I hear you. I love love love my PRS. It is the most expensive guitar that I've owned, and it was worth every penny.

When I purchased it I had to have a loooong talk with myself :) that yes, while I'm going to keep it in the best shape possible, I also bought this guitar to play and that means I won't be able to keep it in mint condition (especially without a pick guard). I really needed to do a whole mind/attitude shift, and I almost welcome the light pick finish scratches on the guitar (which again are very light), because with those light scratches I feel freer to just play it. But yes, it was a tough decision at first.

My PRS will never lay on the floor like the Strat I used to have, but I still don't want to hesitate to play it either.

18. Noise Under The Floor

Its Fender-ish, but more "D" shaped, has some meat to the back of it, but is narrow. To my hands its kind of like a hybrid of my early 70's Gibson SG (narrow D shaped neck) and a more modern Fender. I really don't know what/how else to compare it. Its got its own thing going on, but its definitely more vintage feeling and not a shredder neck like typical Ibanez.

Yes, this Talman is one of the Korean made ones.

For some reason, at least to me, guitars like Fenders and Gibsons look ok with some wear on them. They seem to wear the wear better if that makes sense. When you see a well played and worn Gibson or Fender it looks alright. With a guitar like a PRS it just looks like "Aw damn! Expensive guitar with a flaw". It just doesn't wear it well on guitars like that.

19. mike361

mike361 Member

Beater guitars are the best. Have the most fun with them as long as you like the feel. I have a great playing strat and a GIbson LP traditional that I love but I find when I am just messing around i get the old ibanez Blazer out. I am looking for a mim strat to try some mods that I would never do with my USA made one. Have fun and that guitar looks cool as hell.

20. davetone

davetone Member

Agreed. Wear on a Fender or Gibson does look natural. I suppose part of it is that they have been around so long, so it's natural to see worn Fenders or Gibsons in public. One of the things for me is that even if I did put a big ding in my PRS, I don't think most people would even notice unless they got up close. It would probably bother me more than anyone else!

By the way, my friend in Texas loves his Talman also! They do look great and that sparkle finish is very cool. Glad about the neck, that it is unique and a traditional feel both.