I'm getting 2 Custom Shop guitars for $2500

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by StudioRat320, Sep 4, 2008.

1. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

After hearing and reading about how well made these guitars are, I decided to pull the trigger and order a couple to see for myself.

Of course at this price they could only be Carvins. I decided on a white w/black hardware H2T and a cherry sunburst H2 Fatboy. I can't wait to get them and give a full review, but if they're good enough for the likes of Holdsworth, MacAlpine and Walsh, I'm sure I'm in for a treat.

I'd love to hear from some of you guys that play Carvins.

Thanks...

2. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I have a TL-60 I got in a Pawn shop for 90 bucks, It is my number one goto right now. Trem, the carvin humbuckers gun oil finish locking tuners, oversize frets and low radius it plays and sounds great. I think when I re-wired it I did something wrong in the middle position I get a nice almost strat neck tone, I love it. It is very versatile now I get my favorite tones now in one package. I would love to get a custom shop one from them direct! have fun.

3. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

Wow, Eric!!!! Killer deal.

I've got a bunch of other guitars, but I really wanted a custom job and after hearing all the horror stories from people that ordered from the big name makers, I decided to give Carvin a try. Checking out some youtube videos also helped convince me to pull the trigger. There's even a kid with a H2 Fatboy doing some cool dropped D metal riffs. If it can do that and the Holdsworth thing, I'm in for the long haul. Can't wait to get it.

4. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

Wow! That's one serious buying streak there! I acquired my C66 recently and it is a fabulous guitar. It has the H22's and the active preamp. It's a very well built guitar. I'm loving it! Congrats on yours! Here's a couple of pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

What a nice looking axe. BTW, what do the H22's compare to, or do they have their own thing going? Can you go into more detail regarding the on board preamp?

Thanks.....Carvin is building some beauties I see.

6. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Sounds very cool dude, congrats! I love my Carvin 727 and I've been thinking about MAYBE grabbing a CT-6 model too. They do great work on their guitars, the only issue I have is that I wish they would stop using their own pickups in the guitars but you can fix that much easier on 6'ers than the 7's (due to the odd routing on the 7-string pickups). I had a buddy of mine who is a killer luthier route out the sides of the pickup routes and that made a tremendous difference in the sound of the guitar, love it even more now! :dude Here's the guitar I'm speaking of, you might have seen it in another thread.

[​IMG]

7. GibbyFan

GibbyFan Member

I can't compare the H22's to any other Carvin pups because this is my first Carvin. I will say that I'm not a fan of active preamps, the battery thing is a pain and always having to unplug is a hassle. I'm going with Seymour Duncans, probably a Custom Custom and a 59 or a JB/59 combo. These work for me as they will darken the tone just a bit.

As far as the preamp goes. The two top toggle switches are coil taps for each pup. The bottom toggle is a phase switch. The main volume control (closest to the bridge) is a push/pull pot for turning on/off the active preamp. It's a nice set up if you are into active pups.

I have read on the Carvin forum that the H22's tend to be smoother than the C22's, but again I can't verify that by my own experience. Hope that helps.