I'm getting a LOT of radio through my rig, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by AJBoy238, Jan 27, 2012.

1. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

I'm getting a VERY LOUD radio station coming through my amp at my church when I play and wanna try to find out if its my stuff or just dirty power or something. I have individually checked every pedal on my board to see if it is a specific one and its not.

I play a UK Vox AC30 and/or a Orange Tiny Terror, I get the radio when I play ether.

I use all George L cable and GFS Instrument cables (which claim to be "Monster" quality).

I use 2 1spots to power my rig.

I use XLR cable to run my power to my board and run about 30ft of cable from my board to the backline.

I don't play out very often so I don't have any other location to compare it to. All I know is it's really lame to have a loud radio station coming through my rig.

Any thoughts?

Here's a pic or visual aid:

[​IMG]

2. Bufferz

Bufferz Member

"All I know is it's really lame to have a loud radio station coming through my rig."

lol

3. RBfan

RBfan Member

Nice board. In my experience fuzzes are often the culprit - you sure it's not the Biyang? I might also try a shorter stretch of cable from board to amp, just to see.

Nice stuff,

T

4. horatiu

horatiu Member

Try powering your board with a power supply that has isolated outputs, it really helps and cuts some of the annoying buzz .

5. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

The Biyang is in a loop on my bypass strip so I know that thats not it.

I've also ran 20ft cable and still the same problem. I can't go any shorter then 20ft for my rig.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

It is most common with fuzz...

Last night I set up my recording stuff for the first time in a while to compare an Eminence Red Fang to a Weber Blue Dog and with no pedal turned on I had classical music coming through - bizarre. At least my mic didn't pick it up at all, lol. I have a voltage regulator and a power conditioner, so that is a surprising thing to happen.

7. Paleolith54

Paleolith54 Member

My wah inductor caused it once. Also WHERE you are can make a huge difference, it was worse in my practice room.

8. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

Ding ding ding ding ding!:huh

Time for a wireless system. Or move the amp closer to you.

9. scolfax

scolfax Member

Only time I've ever heard radio coming through my gear is this month - when my new Joe Bonamassa CryBaby is on.

I love it BTW.

10. jimmys95

jimmys95 Member

Are you playing a guitar with single coils, is the RF still there with the volume rolled down, I was getting the same thing and it was the pickup sheilding.

11. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

It's the power supply. A pedal power or similar would help. Also the wiring method causes rf. Try not to have loops in your wires. Also bad power in the room could cause it.

12. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

I suppose when you plug in directly to the amp you don't have the problem, right ?

13. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

You're powering all of that with two 1spots?

That or fuzz.

14. MG90

MG90 Member

I would try removing the pedals one at a time to see if you can find the culprit.

An electronics guy told me one time there is a simple device you clamp onto you last cable and it stops it.

15. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

My Van den Hul cable lets radio noise through. My Analysis Plus cables do not. So, another component to check.

16. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

Has anybody had any experience with Ferrite Beads? Anybody know how well they work?

17. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

If it is an AM radio station it is a bad Ground somewhere in that chain, better powersupply will help and look into a good buffer. I just got the Vertex buffer system and it is amazing!

18. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

I got an all Asian news channel playing through my Fender Blues Deluxe at a buddys house one time. No effects.. Just amp and guitar... and Asians...

19. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

It looks like a lot of effort went into that board! There is a hell of a lot of wire, and many opportunities for ground loops. You have one, rest assured, or several, and you probably should have started that large of a board, with a power supply with isolated voltage circuits.

If you do not believe this, the test is simple enough. Round up a bunch of batteries, disconnect the power supplies you have and run on batteries. There is a penalty for complexity in pedalboards. The problems can be tough to sort out. One way to do it is to lift signal grounds, but that's real difficult with solderless cabling. Good luck!!

20. AJBoy238

AJBoy238 Member

You read it right. It was an idea that I got from observing another guys rig. I had Dan at This1smyne make me a set of junction boxes to be able to do this. Theres a couple of reason for it. 1. I can actually run 2 sends of power down 1 XLR line, so because of they way my junction box was built, I can run 4 completely isolated sends of power down to my board via 2 XLR cables which is very handy and convenient. 2. it eliminates wall warts or power strips from the pedalboard side of things. I run everything in and out of a single junction box so it keeps everything VERY neat and clean and also allows very quick setup and tear down times.

This may not work for everybody but I really like it, so if I can get this radio thing figured out, life would be pretty sweet. I've been doing some reading online and bought some Ferrite Chokes. I'm gonna see if those do anything to help.